PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Algebra/trigonometry teacher/tutor

Graham_A_M
07-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Hey guys, due to a learning disability that I never knew I had back in grade school, I barely have any skills with Algebra & trigonometry (or shall I say math in general).
So I need a good tutor to teach me what I've long since forgotten, and barely knew to start with. In order for me to properly challenge my Millwright exam.

Its been so long since Ive ever been tutored, I assume I'll have to pay someone $XX per hour to potentially meet them somewhere to be taught, of which Im entirely fine with. Just wondering if there are any private tutors/tutoring services anybody could recommend. I was told Bow Valley College is a good bet, but Id much rather have one on one counseling over a big group setting.
Im extremely intelligent (my IQ is 138, Einstein's was a 140 for example), but thanks to VICIOUS A.D.D. and a few other things, math, physics, technical science & chemistry was never my strong suit.

Im planning on challenging my Millwright exam in the next couple weeks, so any leads or help would be much appreciated. Thanks a ton for reading this and offering any help you can.
:thumbsup:
Within just cause, a decent understanding of Algebra & Trigonometry is very much apart of the exam, that is definitely my weak part before challenging it.

Any decent leads will definitely be a "beer-able" reward on my behalf.

lint
07-17-2014, 08:33 PM
http://www.renertonline.com

EK69
07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
alegbra as in 2x = 8; solve for x type stuff?

it depends how crazy the algebra and trig stuff is... i can do it lol

Graham_A_M
07-17-2014, 09:38 PM
^ that stuff is hopelessly the premise, its everything beyond that.

revelations
07-17-2014, 09:47 PM
What grade level are you hoping to achieve?

I had issues in HS with learning due to undiagnosed depression (failed math 12), but out of HS and in my late 20s I was able to go back to do Adult Basic Ed and ended up doing reasonably wel. In Tech school I got through second year engineering-level calculus. :eek:

legendboy
07-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Pure math 30 at Chinook would get you where you need to be, but wouldn't fit your time constraint :dunno:

Nova316
07-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Pm'ed I can help you if you can't find anything

Seth1968
07-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Curious Graham, any particular reason you need to pay all that money for a tutor? I mean, what about books or the net?

CanmoreOrLess
07-18-2014, 12:04 PM
In university I had both one-on-one and later one-on-three (less cost, able to double the number of sessions) tutoring for most of my math classes. The one-on-one is intense, you feel the pressure of crickets in the background as you ponder. In a small group it was sometimes better, I was able to see mistakes the other two students were making and they too were able to see my mistakes. In the end I went with a one-on-one session 1x/week and a small group session later in the semester.

One-on-one is better early on. It really all depends on your tutor, he/she needs to be able to show and lead you down the right path of thought. Teach you to almost figure out the answer (ballpark) before even starting the formula. At times it feels like what I would think "math people" feel all the time. You do get a glimpse of it many times in a session. In the end, I thought math was pretty cool, this coming from a total math slacker is high praise.

Can you do it online? Yes, but it would not be for me, I needed a tutor there to streamline the process and crack the whip. I found my tutor by asking at the university math department (see UofC, Mount Royal, SAIT, etc) for a list of tutors. Don't be afraid to cut bait if the tutor and you are not in total alignment, there are many tutors in the sea. Ideally, if you can find a math tutor with somewhat of a teaching background it is better. For the first try, I'd go with the tutor who has been tutoring the longest. You need to understand teaching (communication) is a rare art, you'll know a strong tutor when you see/experience one; they are like the best teachers you had in high school and university. They remain rarer than an Acura RL.

Seth1968
07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Good points.

Thanks for that.

xnvy
07-18-2014, 08:32 PM
If it's Math 30 level or below I could help out a bit. I don't have any teaching credentials per se but I was one question off of acing the diploma exam and can always help a Beyonder. As for tutors, Renert is awesome if you have the $$$.

78si
07-18-2014, 08:46 PM
I work with a high school math teacher who does tutoring on the side. If you're serious and want to spend some cash, he is awesome.

Darkane
07-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Graham this is what I'd do if I was you (which is what i did 3 years ago).

Sign up for ADLC correspondence physics 20 (the angular motion stuff is much more suited to your field than just math).

The material is good! Text is good and additional resources. Then what I did if I didn't know anything was use Khan university (YouTube).

Lastly if I was stuck id email the instructors and take the material to my brother (HS math teacher).

Best of luck.

stillworking
07-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Then what I did if I didn't know anything was use Khan university (YouTube).

This.

Khan Academy and/or Youtube will explain everything on the whiteboard for you for free.

Env-Consultant
07-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Graham, I'd suggest something like this http://trades.exambank.com/millwright.html or get your hands on some old exams, see where you're deficient, and focus on those areas. I followed the same process for the GMAT, studied for less than a month, and scored in the 83rd percentile - good enough for the schools I was planning on applying to (U of A or U of C). Fairly confident that I have undiagnosed A.D.D. - I've learned to deal with it - but this thread is about you.

Also, if you don't have a copy of this, I would review the math section of the Trades Study Guide from SAIT - (although the whole thing would be useful) - AIT Study Entrance Guide - SAIT (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=T2rKU-bSIJDqiwK-goGgBQ&url=http://www.sait.ca/Documents/Student%2520Resources/Academic%2520Services/Testing%2520Services/AIT_Entrance_Study_Guide.pdf&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEEhm180b7YLNfnAFvUuvuhmD4fcw)

Trades math, for the most part, is pretty basic - before you shell out a pile of money, I suggest you complete some old exams, review the guides, ID your areas of weakness, find math guides for those areas online for free, write everything down that you need to remember (shortcuts, tricks, fundamentals you've forgotten, etc.), study it repeatedly, and do practice questions over and over and over until it becomes second nature.

I read up on some A.D.D. studying tips and, while they aren't right for everyone, flashcards might be a good idea and/or writing everything down repeatedly. I used to write down what I needed to know, then study it, write down the next thing, then study/practice everything from the beginning, write, repeat. By the end, I had written the first thing 100+ times - there's no forgetting it at that point (for a while anyways).

If you still need help after doing everything above, it's understandable - but I think you're a smart enough guy with enough drive that, regardless of your disability, you can manage this without a lot of outside help. Practice, ID, study/improve, repeat. Commit to it. You'll get your confidence up in no time. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Graham_A_M
07-19-2014, 08:50 AM
^ Wow guys, thanks so much for everything, tons of good leads and the like..... Much appreciated.... thanks.

Like Canmoreorless said, I really need personalized help, just staring at equations without knowing how to tackle them, or without any fundamental understanding is a roadblock.

Unless some of these online courses offer that, I almost need one on one support. Like Ive done a fair bit of tests and the like online, and its not really worth it. I responded to the PM's Ive got so far from this thread, 78SI, I'll PM you about the math teacher as well. Sounds like he's good stuff.