PDA

View Full Version : PetroChina / Brion Boss Arrested

Sugarphreak
07-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Mibz
07-18-2014, 01:26 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

My contract technically goes until October but I told them I would be done everything by August and getting the fuck out. Great timing.

Canmorite
07-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Wow, that's big. I wonder what will come of it? China's fairly opaque when it comes to accusations, trials, etc.

I was looking at jobs at PTR Canada recently too :rofl:

Sugarphreak
07-18-2014, 01:45 PM

syb65
07-26-2014, 12:40 AM
The Chinese are applying their tactics of stealing technology and sabotaging markets everywhere now. They think they are too big of a force for anyone to try to deal with, and they are getting away with it too. There might be penalties and sanctions forced on China but they are not going to care one little bit.

Sugarphreak
07-26-2014, 10:11 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
07-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

My contract technically goes until October but I told them I would be done everything by August and getting the fuck out. Great timing.

I see that you have also had interactions with Brion. I was very happy when I no longer had to deal with them.

finboy
07-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I talked with a contact at brion a few weeks ago, I wonder if he will be rethinking his time there now.

CNOOC also sounds like they are having a great time...
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/06/27/nexen-cutting-jobs-slashing-costs-despite-cnoocs-pledges-to-ottawa-to-win-takeover-approval-sources/?__lsa=1542-fb9e

This is going to make job hunting that much more fun :banghead:

Sugarphreak
07-29-2014, 07:24 AM

Milk2%
07-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
They generally have a mandate to move as much engineering back to China as possible; I think Brion has a policy in place that any EP contractors that bid on work for them need to have a Chinese partnership in place.

They are putting a lot of money into the industry, but I have a feeling this is just a short term win for Canada/Alberta, in the long run a lot of the money that used to be spent here will be going back into the Chinese economy as they develop their supply and construction arms.

Take Spec Engineering as an example; they purchased it and it was renamed HQC-Spec, in the future I suspect they will be trying to do all of their EPC work there instead of other local firms, and most of that will really be done in China.

While outsourcing isn't something new, the head office is usually here and still benefiting the local economy. A small army of rich execs buy lavish houses, eat out at fancy restaurants and buy pricey high maintenance cars, which still trickle down as jobs for everybody else. With companies that are owned by Petro-China/CNOOC, those rich execs don't even live here and that benefit to the local economy will be gone.

Our own fault really... everybody is demanding ridiculous wages out here, and that just isn't sustainable long term in a free market.

Tee'd that one up.
Let china take over our 1 major commodity, left behind in the dust.
Glad i wont be around in 50 years.

Canada should have invested in refineries here. Turn a good 500%++ profit. But wait china owns the petroleum market out here now :nut:

R154
07-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Uhh, the company I am with is building many power generation and MCS units for Brion. Right now we have 6 in our yard for various projects. As an EPCM that is handling a huge start up (4 hills) they are contracting to a lot of us.