PDA

View Full Version : Lifting a 92 jeep yj

LUDELVR
07-19-2014, 10:02 PM
So just to get this out of the way, I won't be taking this thing off road but I do like the look of a lifted jeep. This thing would probably fall apart from all the stress if I took it off roading!

In any case, I want to see what options I have to give it that lifted look. Ive read that you can raise it a couple of ways but I don't want to life it that much where I change the angles of the axels.

Also, I'd like to get gruntier looking tires. Can I just slap on some higher tires or will I rub on a stock height?

Sugarphreak
07-19-2014, 11:13 PM

civic_stylez
07-20-2014, 03:22 PM
You can do body lifts or suspension lifts.. if you just want a few extra inches for some bigger tires, do a cheap body lift that just uses 2" pucks. Most kits are well under $200.00. No need for extended brake lines or anything. Install is easy. Suspension lifts will encompass alot more. New struts, add a leafs, bushings and will require more for install and alignments will be needed. Youll be looking at $500.00 and up plus install. You need to determine how much of a lift you want and what size tires you are after and what type. All terrains wont rub as bad as a mud tire or swamper. Are you wanting to use your stock wheels?

firebane
07-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
You can do body lifts or suspension lifts.. if you just want a few extra inches for some bigger tires, do a cheap body lift that just uses 2" pucks. Most kits are well under $200.00. No need for extended brake lines or anything. Install is easy. Suspension lifts will encompass alot more. New struts, add a leafs, bushings and will require more for install and alignments will be needed. Youll be looking at $500.00 and up plus install. You need to determine how much of a lift you want and what size tires you are after and what type. All terrains wont rub as bad as a mud tire or swamper. Are you wanting to use your stock wheels?

Lifts installation will really depend on if you have IFS or solid axle.

Solid axle lifts don't take much time and are fairly straight forward but when you get into IFS lifts it gets more time consuming.

LUDELVR
08-07-2014, 08:05 PM
So I was looking at these 2 ways of getting a few inches to accommodate bigger tires:
Leaf add on (http://m.ebay.ca/itm/131263826374?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE)

Body lift (http://m.ebay.ca/itm/130939004717?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE)

Which would be the easiest way to go. I just need to fit some bigger tires and don't want to have to make any alterations to the axels, drive shaft or anything else. Just lift and install bigger tires.

LUDELVR
08-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

And yeah, I'll be using my stock wheels but the ones I have have on now are 16's and I think the oem ones were 15. I'm pretty sure someone swapped out the hubs and put newer ones on but still from a jeep.

Would also like some gruntier mudders bit nothing too crazy. Just a bit of a lift and some meatier looking tires.

FraserB
08-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Rough Country 4.5" kit. It's high at first but settles to a good height. Set you back about $700, another $200 if you want upgraded shackles and greaseable bolts, $100 for a motor mount lift.

You'll be able to easily fit 33" tires on there and probably 35" if you ever want to.

VERY easy to install all that yourself if you know what end of a socket goes where.

firebane
08-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Don't do a body lift. Do a lift kit properly and it'll look good and work better.

LUDELVR
08-07-2014, 09:22 PM
You guys raise some valid points; however, I'm looking for the most inexpensive solution and that's why those 2 links came to mind. This will jeep most likely never see off road and it's more of a city cruising vehicle.

What are some of the drawbacks of doing a body lift as opposed to what Fraser suggested?

firebane
08-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
You guys raise some valid points; however, I'm looking for the most inexpensive solution and that's why those 2 links came to mind. This will jeep most likely never see off road and it's more of a city cruising vehicle.

What are some of the drawbacks of doing a body lift as opposed to what Fraser suggested?

Body lifts require extensions on things. You would have gaps to fill and possibly extra gaps all around.

A proper lift raises the vehicle better and will look better in the end.

LUDELVR
08-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Alright, been doing a bit more reading and it looks like a body lift kit is NOT the way I want to go.

Found this: Suspension lift kit (http://m.ebay.ca/itm/250774251467?nav=SEARCH)

And it looks like what Fraser was mentioning but I'm so wondering if I'll have to mess Around with the axels or anything or if they stay the same. Also, what are the shackles and motor mount lifts for? Are these required?

spikerS
08-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Just do a shackle lift on these things, super simple, and probably the cheapest option. doing it that way is only 8 freaking bolts...

firebane
08-08-2014, 07:24 AM
These guys have been getting pretty good reviews and people are overall happy with them and you can order them from within Canada to save on shipping as well.

http://zoneoffroad.com/display?ma=6&yr=1992&mo=215&ca=78

I'm not sure what the motor mount lift is about though. I know with body lifts the body would be higher than the motor in some cases and can cause cooling issues.

FraserB
08-08-2014, 09:48 AM
The Zone 4" is a good kit as well. Lifted a friend's '94 with the kit a few months ago and it went pretty well. Same thing, ~6" out of the box and it settles.

Motor mount lift is going to help reduce the amount of transfer case drop you need. The rear shaft angle goes to shit when you lift so you can either get a slip yoke eliminator ($$$$), a larger transfer case drop or a MML and transfer case drop. We'll be using a 1" MML and a 0.5" T-case drop on his Jeep.

Shackles will replace the ones on the Jeep now. They are much beefier, will help your flex a bit and they'll tighten up the spring locations.

While you're doing all this, you can remove the front and rear sway bars and trackbars. They just aren't needed.

civic_stylez
08-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
The Zone 4" is a good kit as well. Lifted a friend's '94 with the kit a few months ago and it went pretty well. Same thing, ~6" out of the box and it settles.

Motor mount lift is going to help reduce the amount of transfer case drop you need. The rear shaft angle goes to shit when you lift so you can either get a slip yoke eliminator ($$$$), a larger transfer case drop or a MML and transfer case drop. We'll be using a 1" MML and a 0.5" T-case drop on his Jeep.

Shackles will replace the ones on the Jeep now. They are much beefier, will help your flex a bit and they'll tighten up the spring locations.

While you're doing all this, you can remove the front and rear sway bars and trackbars. They just aren't needed.

Definitely a good point on the SYE. Drive shaft angles will wreak havoc on u joints and driveline components so either look at the slip yoke eliminator or if you want to go budget, use transmission spacers that lower everything so the angle isnt so steep. It will reduce your ground clearance though...

LUDELVR
08-13-2014, 07:43 PM
I got the kit and now need to be looking at tires. I'm somewhat concerned with the size though because I've been reading that anything over 32" causes a lot of drivability issues especially on the highway.

On a related note, it's a '92 YJ but I think the previous owner swapped out the stock 15s and threw on some 16" stockers from an '07+ wrangler and changed out the wheel hubs so I'm hoping I have no issues with the kit I bought going on. My question is, what is a good size tire to throw on there? I don't want it to look off with a lifted rig and small tires!

FraserB
08-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Can you grab a picture of the wheels? Should be able to tell easily.

LUDELVR
08-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Can you grab a picture of the wheels? Should be able to tell easily.

http://www.fortec4x4.com/images/P/MP%201AH7354AAC-01-01.jpg

http://l3it3r.com/Jeep/jeepside.jpg

These are the wheels. From what I've found, they're the factory steel wheels from the JK. This is not my jeep but it's the identical setup of the JK factory 16s on a YJ. I also did just have look and the previous owner did use spacers but because of the large backspacing, these 16" wheels are pretty flush with the fenders and don't stick out at all. They look pretty stock.

LUDELVR
08-14-2014, 01:37 AM
The other thing I just noticed as well is that I have the wheels turned in all the way and the rubber is REALLY close to the leaf spring, possibly even touching it at times. I'm wondering if I go with either a 32" or 33", if I'll have problems.

I've narrowed it down to 2 options I'm considering:
265/75/16 which will be around 32" or
285/75/16 which will be around 33".

These will be on the tires I posted above but I'm thinking that with either of these tires, I'll still be rubbing up against the leaf springs but that will be only at extreme turns but still…I don't like the thought of the rubber hitting the springs. The spacers push out the wheels but it doesn't look like it's enough for bigger tires. I kind of don't want to buy bigger spacers either!

What do you think?

FraserB
08-14-2014, 08:45 AM
The JK wheels do have a huge amount of backspacing, something like 6.25" IIRC. If he has spacers installed, that's what is taking care of the bolt pattern change as well. To solve this for larger tires, you basically have two options.

You can keep the JK wheels and run a 2" wheel spacer/adapter. I had to do this when I was running Rubicon wheels. This would let you stay with the plan of running a 16" wheel.

Or you can ditch the wheels and spacers and get a new set of 4 with the appropriate backspacing and bolt pattern. Then run a 33x12.5r15 tire. There is a set of street locks on the Calgary Jeep site for $400, probably get them for $350. Right width for a 33, right bolt pattern to eliminate the spacer and right backspacing.

Which kit did you grab?

LUDELVR
08-14-2014, 11:09 AM
The JK wheels do have a huge amount of backspacing, something like 6.25" IIRC. If he has spacers installed, that's what is taking care of the bolt pattern change as well. To solve this for larger tires, you basically have two options.

You can keep the JK wheels and run a 2" wheel spacer/adapter. I had to do this when I was running Rubicon wheels. This would let you stay with the plan of running a 16" wheel.

Or you can ditch the wheels and spacers and get a new set of 4 with the appropriate backspacing and bolt pattern. Then run a 33x12.5r15 tire. There is a set of street locks on the Calgary Jeep site for $400, probably get them for $350. Right width for a 33, right bolt pattern to eliminate the spacer and right backspacing.

Which kit did you grab?

Ended up grabbing the 4" lift from Rough Country and the sweet thing is I got it from a dealer in town so I didn't have to pay the shipping and I got it for just under 500. Pretty stoked I didn't have to pay the 150 bux for shipping!!

The kit is going in on Monday and I think I'm going to start with some used 265/75/16s for now and start looking for the wheels you're suggesting.