PDA

View Full Version : Red wine, ideas?

eur0
07-20-2014, 04:16 PM
So I have my wedding next weekend and was looking to order a case of red (we're having a smaller shindig). What would be a good all round red for having on the tables to go with sirloin steak? It should probably be a nice drinkable wine with or without the steak and one that would work well for a possibly hot summer evening?

Probably on the cheaper end of wines but looking for a good bang for buck type. I'm not much of a wine guy.

kvg
07-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Apothic red = Cheap and good

Tik-Tok
07-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by kvg

:werd:

Apothic red or white is delicious for the price. ($10.50 a bottle)

VWEvo
07-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Um please no. I collect wine and there are a tonne of better options. A nice and relatively cheaper option is CoppolaClaret. It's a California blend a great wine that both wine people and non wine people will enjoy. It typically goes for$28/bottle aat most wine stores however you can get it for $18/bottle at Costco. The bottles are easy to spot as they are black label with gold meshing around the whole bottle.

CanmoreOrLess
07-20-2014, 09:38 PM
"hot summer evening" = sangria

If you are planning on drinking after the meal, nothing better if it is hot out.

Coppola Claret at less than $20 is a deal, I've had a few bottles as well as one bottle of Apothic red. I'd lean towards the Coppola, better taste and a better back story.

eur0
07-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Ok thanks for the ideas so far, we have Pimms as our feature 'summer' drink. I have a friend who's big into reds and suggested a malbec reserva for around $20/bottle, has anyone tried type?

heavyfuel
07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Try Bonterra Cabernet, California organic goes very well with steak yet light and drinkable when it's hot out. Normally $21-$22/bottle but I've seen it as low as $14.50 at Costco.

mr2mike
07-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Go to Costco liquor store and get what they have. Usually have the more popular brands and a little cheaper.

Sangria could really get the party going if it's strong.

you&me
07-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Um please no. I collect wine and there are a tonne of better options. A nice and relatively cheaper option is CoppolaClaret. It's a California blend a great wine that both wine people and non wine people will enjoy. It typically goes for$28/bottle aat most wine stores however you can get it for $18/bottle at Costco. The bottles are easy to spot as they are black label with gold meshing around the whole bottle.

+1

I'm not sure how Apothic picked up such a following, but it's far from the best option, even at that price point.

That being said, a blend of some sort is your best bet to please a crowd and get a good bang for your buck.

Tik-Tok
07-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by you&me

+1

I'm not sure how Apothic picked up such a following, but it's far from the best option, even at that price point.

Because it's a decent $10 wine :dunno:

There is no such thing as one wine that everyone will enjoy the most. I love the arrogance that wine snobs (and foodies) have, that seem to think their taste buds are "right" and other peoples are "wrong".

mr2mike
07-22-2014, 12:15 PM
http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/d/strg/ctrl/8/32183ccd3428a484a94debc86701f025955bbfd8.76.1.8.2.jpg

ercchry
07-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:werd:

Apothic red or white is delicious for the price. ($10.50 a bottle)

i've never had the red... but the white? :barf:

coppla makes a nice wine though :drool:

Sugarphreak
07-22-2014, 01:09 PM

you&me
07-22-2014, 02:25 PM

Because it's a decent $10 wine :dunno:

There is no such thing as one wine that everyone will enjoy the most. I love the arrogance that wine snobs (and foodies) have, that seem to think their taste buds are "right" and other peoples are "wrong".

No, it's not.

You're right; there's no one wine that will appeal to everyone. That's why I echo'd VWevo's recommendation to look for a blend - they tend to have the broadest appeal. It has nothing to do with being a "wine snob" and "wrong" and everything to do with have some sense of "good"... If you drink Apothic and like it, that's fine, but I'd recommend trying some other wines... It cant hurt to expand your horizons, and who knows, you might even find something you like better. :thumbsup:

Budweiser's the most popular beer in the world... Must be the best then :rofl: All those beer snobs drinking craft brews are just showing off.

Graham_A_M
07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Wow, I cant believe you guys even have taste buds if you're recommending Apothic..... anything.

Id literally rather drink fermented donkey piss any day over that crap. Jesus fuck. :nut: :nut: Two years ago, at this other job, they were giving it away at Christmas, as much as I love wine, I didn't even finish the bottle. My plants "enjoyed" the rest of it.

Here, I have to jet, but as a Sommelier (French word for "Wine expert" ) I'll chime in later when I have the chance and make some much much better suggestions. Still around $8-15/bottle. There are TONS of amazing wines that are quite cheap, yet could fool almost anybody in terms of taste, body etc.

Off the top of my head......
Two red's you should try, would be "Screw it" Shiraz/Merlot and "Wine 'O' clock" Shiraz/Merlot Both have a rich flavor, and complement heavy foods like steak quite well. Both wines are $7-8/bottle at the liquor store near my parents' house, called Queensland Liquor.

msommers
07-22-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't know much about wine but I REALLY like Carchello Jumilla. I get it from JWebbs for low 20's/bottle.

http://www.wiredforwine.com/bodegas-carchelo-c.jpg

colinxx235
07-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Yah Apothic red is pretty bad stuff.

For 25 or less you can get lots of good wines. A few of my favorite are

Francis Coppola (ivory or black label) - Cab Sav, 25ish range
J.Lohr - Cab Sav, around 20
Sisters Run - Cab Sav, sub 18

1884 makes a few good ones (cab, syrah, malbec) that are around $15

Luigi Bosca - Syrah or Malbec , also around 15

Waterstone (bit closer to 30, is an amazing cab sav)

Darkane
07-22-2014, 04:22 PM
J, Lohr 7 oaks can be had once in a while for 18-20 on sale.

Cupcake is good - 14
Robert mondavi Woodbridge -14ish.
Jackson triggs cabsav cheap option 7-9$.

BavarianBeast
07-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Speaking of red wine, I'll share what I thought was a funny story my dad told me a few years back.

He was out for dinner with some colleages and some very high profile clients.

One of clients the told the waiter that he would like to order the most expensive, exclusive red wine on the menu. The guy who ordered shortly left the table to go to the washroom. My dad, thinking it would be hilarius waved the waiter over and told him to just bring out the cheapest red wine they have as a joke.

The waiter proceeds to bring the bottle of wine (cheap bottle) to the table once the client was back and poured him a glass. The client did the whole wine connesuer thing, twilring the glass around and smelling the aroma. After that he proceeded to take a taste and rambled on how it is such a good year, and how it is the most amazing wine and blah blah blah.. The whole table burst out in tears laughing at this guy. After he discovered what my dad had done, he got up enraged and left the dinner leaving his two partners behind.

I thought it was a funny story.

CompletelyNumb
07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Apothic is very harsh. You'll either love it or hate it.

If that's your price point though, this is a far better choice, in my opinion.
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/files/imagecache/product_larger/products/893487.jpg

Graham_A_M
07-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Speaking of red wine, I'll share what I thought was a funny story my dad told me a few years back.

He was out for dinner with some colleages and some very high profile clients.

One of clients the told the waiter that he would like to order the most expensive, exclusive red wine on the menu. The guy who ordered shortly left the table to go to the washroom. My dad, thinking it would be hilarius waved the waiter over and told him to just bring out the cheapest red wine they have as a joke.

The waiter proceeds to bring the bottle of wine (cheap bottle) to the table once the client was back and poured him a glass. The client did the whole wine connesuer thing, twilring the glass around and smelling the aroma. After that he proceeded to take a taste and rambled on how it is such a good year, and how it is the most amazing wine and blah blah blah.. The whole table burst out in tears laughing at this guy. After he discovered what my dad had done, he got up enraged and left the dinner leaving his two partners behind.

I thought it was a funny story.

This doesn't surprise me. Ive had wines under $20/bottle that surpass wines that are $150+ a bottle, actually this is surprisingly common. Actually, Ive had more phenomenal wines under $20/bottle then I have very high end wines of countless times more the cost. Dont get me wrong, the high end ones will have attributes that the cheaper ones will barely ever have, but over all, its not hard to have enough reason to choose the cheaper more well rounded cheaper one, over the very pricey esoteric one thats debatable at best.

A bit of a tip for you, you want to know why they swirl the wine? to test the sugar content. The more "legs" (/ small streams, flowing downward obviously) it has after you twirl it, the higher the sugar content. If there are few to no legs, it has a low sugar content, which is typical of higher end wines, as they dont need to add sugars to aid in the vinification (proper term for "wine making") process or to sweeten up the harsh over tones of the wine.:thumbsup:
Natural sugars occur if the growing season is ideal, of which depends on the variety of grape. Under ideal conditions for ANY grape (of which vary GREATLY), it'll produce enough natural sugar to create the perfect wine, under shit growing conditions for the grape in question, artificial sugar (which creates the legs) is needed to attempt to create a more "perfect" balance. This is why the dirt cheap piss wines listed on the first page have a very high sugar content, and aren't really "wine" in the common sense of the term.

Also, the reason for sniffing the wine first, is to detect what the floral bouquet is. Typically, if you have a nose good enough, you can detect what berries were used, and in what quantities to create the wine, as well as what spices and other notes used to create the flavor, which is then justified by your first sip of the wine.

Also, by mere scent, a well trained nose can easily tell if the wine was vinted in wood (the proper traditional way) or in Stainless steel vats. Stainless steel is FAR more common on cheaper wines as its FAR cheaper of a process, problem is, you'll always lack that woody oak like body that higher end wines will have if properly vinted in oak casks. I can tell quite easily of how it was vinted, and how long it was vinted for, also the exact type of wood used in the casks, and how many times those said casks were used. Typical oak casks can be used for vinting about 5-6 times, then their expired.

Hmmm, I almost feel like having an introductory wine tasting day, so I can show you guys what to look for, and how to detect what berries were used, and what they all taste like (etc etc etc). Being a Sommelier is quite an interesting thing, full of so many things most people have little to no idea about. Lol the whole topic of wine is so vastly intriguing, its a world within itself. It only gets more complicated the farther you get into it.

eur0
07-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Haha sounds like it, thanks for the quick educational piece on that never knew about the sugar content test. I will be buying the wine from a small liqour store in Golden B.C but they sound big enough so I'm going to compile a list of the wines you guys have mentioned above and see how they compare for prices. Problem being a small town, I'm assuming they're going to be a bit more expensive that what I can get in town.

milesmcewing
07-23-2014, 06:21 AM
I would like to make a suggestion.

Go and visit a reputable wine shop - and ask for some advice.

You will get asked some questions to help narrow down the choices and then the shop will be in a position to give you the best product suited to your budget and menu.

My first suggestion would be to visit Richmond Hill wines - they have the best educated and experienced stafff in the city. Second choice would be JWebb.

Any of the top shops here take their education and experience seriously and a few steps the right way can certainly lead to a lifetime of enjoying the nuances of wines from around the world.

Their goal is not to just sell you the most expensive wine, but to build you as a customer. Costco may save you a few pennies for certain commercial products but a well-crafted product will certainly be more enjoyable and something to remember.

What do you want your wedding dinner to be remembered by?

Just my 2 cents.

milesmcewing
07-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Graham, I wanted to address your post separately.....

I'm not sure where you got your sommelier education. Are you WSET or ISG certified?

But:
The swirl test has nothing to do with a sugar content test - most of the time the 'legs' will tell you what rinse agent the restaurant uses.

Get a glass of scotch/brandy/rye and swirl it - lots of legs? you bet. How much sugar - NONE.

You had stated it also showed how much sugar was added during vinification - in most countries it is illegal to add sugar to the process. The sugar level (brix) comes from the grapes themselves.

The reason you swirl the wine is to introduce some oxygen into the wine to help release aromas present in the wine - a vigorous shaking sometimes is necessary to release more aromas.

You also stated that the smell will tell you what berries were used and spices used. Are you actually suggesting that the wines are built using a recipe of different products to create the bouquet?

The smells that come from the wine are individual aromas present in the grapes themselves - one grape can have many different smells and characteristics based upon many diiferent factors during the growing and ripening process.

Further to the smell comments - yes it is true that you will be able to smell the different 'woods' used in the process as well. Many wineries will add oak chips to a stainless fermenter to provide that smell/taste so it is certainly NOT an absolute.

I would be happy to lend you my 'Le Nez du Vin' kit if you would like.

Or go here and buy one:
http://www.winearomas.com/

To quote you:

I can tell quite easily of how it was vinted, and how long it was vinted for, also the exact type of wood used in the casks, and how many times those said casks were used.

I would like to see that! Let me know when I can be there.

Hmmm, I almost feel like having an introductory wine tasting day, so I can show you guys what to look for, and how to detect what berries were used, and what they all taste like (etc etc etc). Being a Sommelier is quite an interesting thing, full of so many things most people have little to no idea about.

And one more, "How to detect what berries were used" you are kidding right? Last time I checked it is usually made from grapes.

Wine is fun, enjoy it!

Sorry about the rant, but I felt very strongly that is was sending the wrong information and message. I would be happy to continue the discussion elsewhere as to not continue derailing the thread.

Cheers,
Miles

PS. Spent my formative years learning winemaking at Geyser Peak in California mentored by Darryl Groom of Penfolds and worked in Chile/Argentina/France/Spain as a professional in the industry.

Sugarphreak
07-23-2014, 07:19 AM

bjstare
07-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Moral of the story: 0 out of 3 beyonders can agree on what having "legs" indicates.

boarderfatty
07-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Personally my go to for an "affordable" red is the Jackson Triggs Merlot. It is very reasonably priced, It is one of my go to's when out on the town when I just want a glass of red to accompany my meal and not looking for anything special. It is a medium bodied wine imo that has some fruity characteristics and tannins arent to harsh which is appealing to a lot of people who are not "red wine coniseurs" or arent eating a lot of red meat since wines with heavy tannins imo need a nice fatty/juicy piece of meat to break them down and really be enjoyed.

you&me
07-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Moral of the story: 0 out of 3 beyonders can agree on what having "legs" indicates.

No, the moral of the story is to be weary of posts on Beyond by self proclaimed 'experts'. :bullshit:

Miles, thanks for saving me (and I'm sure some others) the trouble.

However -

Originally posted by milesmcewing
Get a glass of scotch/brandy/rye and swirl it - lots of legs? you bet. How much sugar - NONE.

I'm sure you know there is a a TON of sugar in any of the brown spirits... Not sugar added during the distillation process, but naturally occurring sugars, just like in the grapes in wine.

"what berries were used" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

spike98
07-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
Personally my go to for an "affordable" red is the Jackson Triggs Merlot. It is very reasonably priced, It is one of my go to's when out on the town when I just want a glass of red to accompany my meal and not looking for anything special. It is a medium bodied wine imo that has some fruity characteristics and tannins arent to harsh which is appealing to a lot of people who are not "red wine coniseurs" or arent eating a lot of red meat since wines with heavy tannins imo need a nice fatty/juicy piece of meat to break them down and really be enjoyed.

If you can find it, Painters Bridge Merlot is quite delicious. JT is my go to cheap wine and i find that Painters Bridge is quite similar. Its almost sold exclusively at The Keg but can be found in some stores.

you&me
07-23-2014, 08:23 AM
DP

Sugarphreak
07-23-2014, 08:37 AM

msommers
07-23-2014, 09:09 AM
At a winery in South Africa we were told:

1) Swirling introduces oxygen and releases aromas
2) Smelling before drinking enhances the flavour

Something about putting the edge of the wine to see a colour transition from clear to red on a white background indicates something. I dunno the rest is a little fuzzy.

ExtraSlow
Thank god I'm not a wine expert, it sounds exhausting.

VWEvo
Originally posted by milesmcewing
Graham, I wanted to address your post separately.....

I'm not sure where you got your sommelier education. Are you WSET or ISG certified?

But:
The swirl test has nothing to do with a sugar content test - most of the time the 'legs' will tell you what rinse agent the restaurant uses.

You had stated it also showed how much sugar was added during vinification - in most countries it is illegal to add sugar to the process. The sugar level (brix) comes from the grapes themselves.

The reason you swirl the wine is to introduce some oxygen into the wine to help release aromas present in the wine - a vigorous shaking sometimes is necessary to release more aromas.

You also stated that the smell will tell you what berries were used and spices used. Are you actually suggesting that the wines are built using a recipe of different products to create the bouquet?

The smells that come from the wine are individual aromas present in the grapes themselves - one grape can have many differnet smells and characteristics based upon many diiferent factors during the growing and ripening process.

Further to the smell comments - yes it is true that you will be able to smell the differnt 'woods' used in the process as well. Many wineries will add oak chips to a stainless fermenter to provide that smell/taste so it is certainly NOT an absolute.

I would be happy to lend you my 'Le Nez du Vin' kit if you would like.

Or go here and buy one:
http://www.winearomas.com/

To quote you:

I would like to see that! Let me know when I can be there.

And one more, "How to detect what berries were used" you are kidding right?

Wine is fun, enjoy it!

Sorry about the rant, but I felt very strongly that is was sending the wrong information and message. I would be happy to continue the discussion elsewhere as to not continue derailing the thread.

Cheers,
Miles

PS. Spent my formative years learning winemaking at Geyser Peak in California mentored by Darryl Groom of Penfolds and worked in Chile/Argentina/France/Spain as a professional in the industry.
Thanks for clearing that up. I almost fell off my chair when I read what GRAHAM wrote. You were far kinder to this "sommelier". In fact I'm pretty sure he doesn't realize that is an actual designation that you have earn and study for. I'm personally going through the WSET program purely out of convenience since it is offered in Calgary. I started collecting wine a few years ago and absolutely love the hobby. Learning and tasting wine has been an amazing experience.

Mitsu3000gt
07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
With this being one of the most wildly subjective food/drink related things I can even think of, why not take a buddy or two and go try some yourself? Taking internet recommendations is just as likely to land you with a wine you like as randomly selecting one off the shelves haha.

Why not enlist the help of the liquor store, since you will be spending a bunch of money there, and have them recommend some for you to sample within your price range?

heavyfuel
07-23-2014, 09:51 AM
OP, I have noticed one crucial piece of advice, which is of the utmost importance, absent in this thread.

Regardless of choice you will need more than one case!

heavyfuel
07-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Yeah, I didn't buy the truck to "hook up" and have pulling contests with small-dicked poor people like you. I bought it to transport my kids and wife to the country club in quiet refinement. The bed is handy as a big trunk for when I stock up on champagne and caviar.

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.10096080.4575/fc,550x550,white.jpg

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Thank god I'm not a wine expert, it sounds exhausting.

Ahhh, cheap champagne and caviar in bulk. Knew it. Lemme know if it goes on sale and you wanna really stock up I'll haul a load to your shack for ya lol

ercchry
07-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

No the moral of the story is Sugarphreak is always right...

...and that 0 out of 3 beyonders agree with the same moral of the story

see, thats what i always thought too... but since i pay little attention to wine i gave everyone the benefit of the doubt since the only classes i have attended have been scotch related. for wine, if the old man or uncle have ordered it... i know its going to be good :rofl:

ExtraSlow
07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Ahhh, cheap champagne and caviar in bulk. Knew it. Lemme know if it goes on sale and you wanna really stock up I'll haul a load to your shack for ya lol
Shit, you caught me.

milesmcewing
07-23-2014, 11:25 AM
In response to "you&me" - your comment about the sugar in 'brown spirits' is incorrect - the sugars are converted into alcohol in the distillation process. They may start with lots of sugar but it is gone by time is becomes 'whisky'.

spike98
07-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
With this being one of the most wildly subjective food/drink related things I can even think of, why not take a buddy or two and go try some yourself?

This sounds like the best approach and the beginnings of a good excuse to get shittered with the groomsmen/best man.

Sugarphreak
07-23-2014, 12:09 PM

mr2mike
07-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Hahaha if heavyfuel didn't grab ExtraSlow's post from another thread, I would have.

After round 3 of drinks, no one will even tell.

CapnCrunch
07-23-2014, 01:23 PM

+1.

CompletelyNumb
07-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Well with the two radically opposing viewpoints put forth in this thread regarding "berries" and flavours whatnot, I decided to google it since I have no formal education. I thought this blog post was an awesome introductory read into the topic:

http://blog.wineeducation.com/2006/06/where-do-all-those-nifty-flavors-come.html

msommers
07-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

No the moral of the story is Sugarphreak is always right...

Something tells me Mrs. Sugarphreak would disagree :rofl:

Sugarphreak
07-23-2014, 03:38 PM

msommers
07-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Hummer people :nut: :rofl:

E46..sTyLez
07-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

This.
I don't know shit about wine, but I like the taste of JT. When I taste a $50-$70 wine it just tastes too dry. Wine experts hate me.
I think I just prefer a sweeter tasting wine over a "proper" tasting wine, hence liking the cheap Jackson Triggs stylez

cdnsir
07-23-2014, 10:44 PM
milesmcewing knows what he's talking about.

Then again, I'm someone who never spends over $12 on wine.. Wine tastes like wine. Some dry some sweet, but I can never taste the berries or virgin pussy notes people rave about.

Mibz
07-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
I can never taste the ... virgin pussy notes people rave about. The wine you're choosing is too old.

e92csl87
12-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Like barefoot wines, their rose is just delicious, their reds and whites are good too, cheap and tasty

sputnik
12-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by you&me

+1

That being said, a blend of some sort is your best bet to please a crowd and get a good bang for your buck.

+2

Apothic is a pretty terrible blend.

Not sure if you can get it in AB, but Bear Flag Smooth Red is a really good blend.

A second option for a red blend would be Sibling Rivalry. I think these are some of the Peller Estates guys and it is a pretty easy drinking red without breaking the budget.

http://winehobbyist.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BearFlagRed4.jpg

http://www.nataliemaclean.com/images/winepicks/5ce8f2826d3ba9183431ea1c5d2ef505/sibling-rivalry-red-2012-207544-label-1409592123.jpg

ExtraSlow
12-01-2014, 12:47 PM
For anyone who's not comfortable choosing without advice, just go to any decent liquor store and ask for some advice. I know I've had some great chats with the folks from Willow Park and CSN, and dispite what you may think, they can make solid reccomendations at ANY price point.
I'm sure any of the good stores can provide this service.

Neil4Speed
12-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Anciano Gran Reserva 10 Year is the best bang for buck one that I have found. Typically under $15 as well.

For a white I recommend Matua sauvignon blanc from New Zealand.

theken
12-01-2014, 02:44 PM
if you see kay, bought it for the bottle, turns out it is delicious, cupcake is my wife's favorite cheapo wine, jt is good for the money, I do not drink much wine, too much sugar but i enjoyed If you see kay 24-30 bucks depending on where u go

tirebob
12-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Uggggh.... I wish I was never exposed to good wine. I miss the days of drinking a $10.00 bottle of red wine and enjoying it. Now I go to the south of France every summer and stay in the Bordeaux region and all around and do nothing but drink bad ass wines. Something to be said for not being spoiled!

bjstare
12-01-2014, 03:28 PM
You can get Bear Flag in alberta, I've bought it here before.

For ~$35 Earthquake is awesome. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like it. If you want something cheaper, I really enjoyed Smashberry, despite the stupid name. It's around $15.

blitz
12-01-2014, 03:51 PM
You guys should also be recommending the brand of time machine he should use to go back to July when he made this decision.

JRSC00LUDE
12-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by blitz
You guys should also be recommending the brand of time machine he should use to go back to July when he made this decision.

:rofl:

benyl
08-19-2015, 09:39 PM
bumping this old thread because I just saw this:

bBW12BhNPlY

JordanLotoski
08-19-2015, 10:06 PM

Agreed...

A semi decent red is 19 Crimes...cheap to..19-21 a bottle

http://www.everythingwine.ca/assets/images/products/pictures/200717_19-Crimes-Shiraz-Durif.png

If you can spend a little more...try Toscaca Cortaccio 2006, bang for your buck a great but at 56.00 (highland on 33rd sells it) One of my Favorites at that price point.

http://images.vivino.com/thumbs/00xq9hsww1yj6_375x500.jpg

VWEvo
08-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl
bumping this old thread because I just saw this:

bBW12BhNPlY

Lol funny video, unfortunately he is totally wrong. Most people who do study wine and take the time to do a lot of tastings do actually taste the stuff they claim. It takes a long time, I even take courses and read a lot of books on it.

As for being able to identify the vintage, location and actual wine, again, yes there are very talented wine drinkers that can do just that. Watch the movie SOMM on Netflix to get a better idea.

I know a lot of people think "wine snobs" are bullshitters and can't tell the difference between high quality wine and cheap wine. Believe me, it doesn't take long to start understanding the differences between a $20 bottle of wine and a $100 bottle of wine. The process of producing these wines is way, way different and easily comes out in the taste and ability to cellar the wine.

Tik-Tok
08-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Lol funny video, unfortunately he is totally wrong. Most people who do study wine and take the time to do a lot of tastings do actually taste the stuff they claim. It takes a long time, I even take courses and read a lot of books on it.

I take it you didn't actually watch the video then, especially at the 2 minute mark?

VWEvo
08-20-2015, 01:35 PM

I take it you didn't actually watch the video then, especially at the 2 minute mark?

I did watch it, most of it is a rant about a lot of people being bullshitters. Im sure that's true to an extent, but a lot of people I know can do everything he claims was bullshit in the first part of the video

killramos
08-20-2015, 01:36 PM