PDA

View Full Version : CPA PREP Program

phaedrus16
07-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Hey,

I've recently been considering going after a CPA designation, but am unsure of exactly which route to take. I have a university degree in psychology, which obviously doesn't mean much when it comes to accounting. However, I came across the CPA PREP program, which allows you to take the requisite accounting courses needed in order to enter the actual CPA program (CPA PEP). All you need for the PREP program is a university degree. Now to my current knowledge, you can either take the required courses through CPA itself, or at a post-secondary institution that offers them. I may be wrong in this assumption, but it seems like the courses that comprise the PREP program are similar to the courses that comprise a Bcomm with a specialization in accounting minus the free electives. If this is true, then would it be better to do the PREP program through CPA, or just return to university to complete a Bcomm after-degree in accounting? From what I read on the CPA website, it sounds like the PREP program was meant to be completed in around a year. They offer the courses at certain times during the year, and you take them as you need them. What's not making sense to me is how one can complete the PREP program through CPA in a year, when it would take two years to complete an after-degree at a university, fulfilling the same requirements. Is the PREP program through CPA more condensed, and, if so, does this make it any more difficult to get through? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen81
07-20-2014, 07:46 PM
PREP program is more condensed allowing you to complete it in about a year. Also it can be taken completely online which is generally not the case with pursuing those same courses post-degree at University. I'm just beginning the program so can't speak to the difficulty throughout. The first few modules you'll be able to complete at relatively your own pace but the more advanced levels of accounting courses are offered at certain times and will have set dates for completion of assignments and exams. Hope this helps.

elite
07-20-2014, 10:56 PM
The first step before you even decide how you want to take the classes is that you get your transcripts evaluated.

http://www.albertaaccountants.org/Become-a-CPA/Getting-Started/PREP

Then you need to decide if you are able to teach yourself the material and complete it online, or if you are better off taking a class where you get some face time with the profs. (Although I believe cpa will be offering classes for a extra fee per module).

If you can sit yourself down and put in a good 15-20 hrs a week you should be fine. It'll probably cost 10-12k from cpa to complete. You should have more than a year to complete it (I dont see a time frame anywhere).