PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Airport U.S Customs?

16hypen3sp
07-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Myself and a coworker were having a discussion over the American customs agents working in YYC.

We got curious over how long the airport has had them working there.

When did they first start "admitting" people into their country in YYC instead of doing the whole customs process actually in the U.S?

killramos
07-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Myself and a coworker were having a discussion over the American customs agents working in YYC.

We got curious over how long the airport has had them working there.

When did they first start "admitting" people into their country in YYC instead of doing the whole customs process actually in the U.S?

You always clear US customs before leaving canada. It's been like that as long as I can remember. It also works that way no matter which city in Canada you enter from...

The Americans have different rules, well because they can get away with it.

rage2
07-21-2014, 07:13 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance

The main reasons for pre clearance in Canada is so that we can fly direct to airports with no international terminals from Canada. At least that's how it got started in 1952. Not sure when Calgary got it, my guess is in the 70s.

Technically, you're not on US soil like at an embassy. It's just a pre clearance zone. All Canadian laws still apply past the customs point. That means 18 year olds can still order booze at the bar.

16hypen3sp
07-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. Interesting stuff.

bignerd
07-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by killramos

You always clear US customs before leaving canada. It's been like that as long as I can remember. It also works that way no matter which city in Canada you enter from...

The Americans have different rules, well because they can get away with it.

No. You always clear US customs before leaving Canada IF the airport you are flying out of has a US Customs office-not all of them do, which at that point you would clear US customs in the US--I believe at your first point of arrival. Your bag comes on a special conveyor belt, you have to get it and clear customs, then you can leave or re-check your bag if you are connecting flights. (Has been a long time since I have departed from somewhere other than Calgary but pretty sure that is how it was done).

Clearing customs first allows for tighter connections, pretty sure there is a minimum lay over if you have to clear once you are in the US.

rage2
07-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
No. You always clear US customs before leaving Canada IF the airport you are flying out of has a US Customs office-not all of them do, which at that point you would clear US customs in the US--I believe at your first point of arrival. Your bag comes on a special conveyor belt, you have to get it and clear customs, then you can leave or re-check your bag if you are connecting flights. (Has been a long time since I have departed from somewhere other than Calgary but pretty sure that is how it was done).

Clearing customs first allows for tighter connections, pretty sure there is a minimum lay over if you have to clear once you are in the US.
Good example is flying to US from Regina. You clear customs at your US destination.