PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 Gone!

CelicaST-162
03-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey guys as you know I have a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, just today...and it had to happen on a day it fuckin snowed! The 4WD doesnt work anymore! Far as I know it is very difficult to shift from 2H to 4H, and when it is in 4H it is still in 2WD! I am thinking the culprit is the transfer case. Can It be something else? I really need help here. Thanks

CelicaST-162
03-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Update, The culprit is the front differential. I was hoping it would be the transfer case=easier and less work!!:banghead:

rc2002
03-03-2004, 02:46 PM
You won't be needing the 4WD... The weather is looking up starting tomorrow!

CelicaST-162
03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
You won't be needing the 4WD... The weather is looking up starting tomorrow! yea but still though, 4WD to go off road with. :( , Anyways I got a quote for a used Front Diff for 300 bucks!!! :eek: , what do you guys think? 300 bucks for a used diff is too much IMO

DonJuan
03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
300 for a front diff is expensive, but since it is an import it is the right price. nice the weather is clearing up you could hold off until you find one in Pick you part, I've seen a couple but not recently.

Pete92SL
03-03-2004, 08:21 PM
damn, times that by 4 and you get the price of my rear dif anyways.

Sorry to hear dude.

Pete

CelicaST-162
03-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah well, I took it to Stadium Nissan, the shop foreman put it into 4H from 2H. He revved it and popped the clutch the front driveshaft turns along with the rear so I know the transfer case is good. Thing is though the front CV drive axles dont turn, so thats a blown differential. (Ring gear may have been chewed up?)

Also could It be the Free Running Automatic Hubs? that could be fucked?:dunno:

sr20det
03-03-2004, 10:34 PM
i suggest that you examine shit out yourself, you seem well aware of what the possible faults may be, and it seems logical..but when goin to a dealership, they'll try to screw you over, it may just be the hubs, and they sayin tha u need a new diff..you should ask them to show u whats wrong and stuff, and 300 bucks for a used front diff is expensive...if it is your diff, check the carrier to see if its in good shape, if it is, just get the proper part..ring, or pinion...

also, when the front driveshaft was spinning, did it make any kind of grinding noise? or any noise of sorts?

CelicaST-162
03-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by sr20det
i suggest that you examine shit out yourself, you seem well aware of what the possible faults may be, and it seems logical..but when goin to a dealership, they'll try to screw you over, it may just be the hubs, and they sayin tha u need a new diff..you should ask them to show u whats wrong and stuff, and 300 bucks for a used front diff is expensive...if it is your diff, check the carrier to see if its in good shape, if it is, just get the proper part..ring, or pinion...

also, when the front driveshaft was spinning, did it make any kind of grinding noise? or any noise of sorts?

The driveshaft turns, and doesnt make a noise at ALL!

sr20det
03-03-2004, 11:18 PM
then ya bro, get ur truck back, buy a haynes manual. and take apart that shit yourself...and find the problem, im bettin its somewhere between the Diff and the wheels. Don't listen to the mechanics at the dealership until you are 100% confident that you know what the problem is!

CelicaST-162
03-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by sr20det
then ya bro, get ur truck back, buy a haynes manual. and take apart that shit yourself...and find the problem, im bettin its somewhere between the Diff and the wheels. Don't listen to the mechanics at the dealership until you are 100% confident that you know what the problem is!

haha NO, I just took my Pathy to Stadium just to Diagnose the problem. Im sure its the diff or the autolock hubs. I am planning to go the cheap as possible route. That means doing the work myself!

turboMiata
03-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Hey, why don't you drain the diff and see if there are metal shavings in it? If you do that, you should unscrew the fill plug before the drain plug.

Also, you can lift up the front end and turn one wheel. If the other wheel doesn't turn, then it's possible that you have a hub, axle or diff issue.

CelicaST-162
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Well I am resorting to buying one from the wreckers. How do I check if it is good? Turn the wheel and if the other side turns the opposite way its good right? Its a Front diff so would the wheels turn in unison? Bear with me guys, I am such a noob when it comes to 4WD shit...thanks

mrbojangles
03-06-2004, 12:14 AM
When you turn the diff flange, the CV's flanges or shafts should turn opposite of each other. Dropping the front diff is pretty easy. Gravity is your friend if you get out of the way. Putting it back in is a different story. Need two people and a floor or tranny jack to keep the frusteration level down. Its just an unbolt and bolt back in type deal, so not hard to do. Just labor intensive. Air tools help too!

Make sure you get the right gear ratio. Autos have 4.6X and Standards have 4.3X.

PsI
03-06-2004, 02:43 AM
lol, thats what you get for a 1000 dollar truck, I thought you would have checked out the 4wd before you bought it, lol.

definately a problem in the front.

CelicaST-162
03-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by PsI
lol, thats what you get for a 1000 dollar truck, I thought you would have checked out the 4wd before you bought it, lol.

definately a problem in the front.

Well 4X4 did work when I bought it did it?? 4 wheels spinning?? How would I know the front drivetrain was going to give out?