PDA

View Full Version : anybody live in airdrie close to the train tracks?

Ski-guru
07-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Looking at buying a condo close to the train tracks in airdrie, just wondering how often the train comes through that area and how noisy it is?

thanks.

BigDL
07-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Ski-guru
Looking at buying a condo close to the train tracks in airdrie, just wondering how often the train comes through that area and how noisy it is?

thanks.

How close? I lived in Harvest Hills for a long time and at night you could hear the trains going past when it was quite and I had my window open. I lived by the Golf Course in the oldest part of Harvest Hills. It wasn't too bad but there was a little bit of distance from the house to the tracks.

relyt92
07-21-2014, 09:17 PM
I don't live in Airdrie, but pretty close to tracks in Calgary. You eventually stop noticing. It's like living near a busy road where it just becomes background noise. Super annoying when they're on the horn at night though.

Aerobat
07-21-2014, 10:19 PM
I live in Luxstone close to 8th and it doesnt bother me while sleeping even with our windows open at night...It does run frequently and it turns into a cluster fuck trying to get around town when a train comes through

lasimmon
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
At my cabin the CN main line is really close, I'm talking it shakes the cabin when it goes by. My friends always comment on it cause there will be 3-4 trains a night. But after like 3 nights you don't notice. And now I never notice.

Tik-Tok
07-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Aerobat
I live in Luxstone close to 8th and it doesnt bother me while sleeping even with our windows open at night...It does run frequently and it turns into a cluster fuck trying to get around town when a train comes through

A co-worker used to live just west of the tracks (Willow something-er-rather), and he couldn't stand it. He didn't mind the noise, but he was always stuck waiting for the train.

Wrath
07-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ski-guru

thanks.

Comes through 1 train every 2-3 hours until about 9:00 or 10:00 at night

You will notice it for the first few months

Anomaly
07-22-2014, 11:15 AM
I lived in a house that backed right on to the tracks in the Silver creek area of Airdrie for a year. You do get used to it after a while, but a place would have to be pretty damn cheap to make me want to live that close to the tracks again.

Masked Bandit
07-22-2014, 12:00 PM
I know most people say you'll get used to it, but I never did. I lived in a condo alongside the tracks in Shawnessy / Somerset for a couple of years and I would have liked to blow up the tracks, right up to the day I left. The sound of a train whistle drives me nuts. It got slightly better when they upgraded the crossing and they didn't have to blow the whistle anymore but even just the rumble...never again, I don't care how cheap the place would be.

supe
07-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Funny I used to live in Erin Woods right by the tracks, just realized I moved to another neighborhood near tracks and I have to say the noise doesn't bother me at all. Maybe if you were close enough to feel the rumble it would get annoying.

However one thing I will say tho is if the place you live ever has roads that trains cross, this is what drives me nuts!!!! I'll never live close to these types of train tracks again, they always seem to come at those times where you absolutely have to be where you have to be.

carson blocks
07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Which building? I own a unit in Creek Crossing on Edwards Way that faces the tracks and lived there for a couple years before renting it out. I'm not easily bothered by noises, nor am I an excessively light sleeper, but it would wake me up at least every couple nights. The gf is more sensitive to such things and the train drove her crazy, even after 2 years.

whydontchathen
07-22-2014, 06:02 PM
The sound of trains, and train whistles, is an enjoyable sound to me. I would welcome it way over automobile noise.

cyra1ax
07-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I live on the west edge of Airdrie and I can still hear the trains going past at night, there's usually a train around 9-10pm and one at 1:30AM-ish. Had some friends that lived in the homes that backed right onto the train tracks, didn't seem to bother them at at all one bit.