PDA

View Full Version : Options for hardwiring in at multiple locations?

Ruggzy_McTuggz
07-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Hello,

I like to be able to hardwire in to the modem/router (shaw combo, 1 piece of equipment functions as both m & r) as I find with WiFi I lose speed & that can hamper my online gaming.

I am just wondering if it is possible to get a second modem from shaw that functions on the same plan, or if there is a different piece of equipment that can do that. So I can have two places in my home where a coaxial cable runs into the modem, and an Ethernet cable runs to a computer.

I think I am explaining this horribly, but if you understand what I am asking, and have an answer it would be greatly appreciated!

carson blocks
07-22-2014, 11:45 AM
If your wireless Shaw modem/router/wap combo doesn't have an ethernet port, get them to swap it out for just a modem, then put your own router/switch/wap combo behind it. This will give you some wired ports as well as wireless. I personally prefer owning and managing my own router/access point anyways.

johnlennon
07-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Shaw will not give you two modems so you can use it for 2 locations, they only lease the IP to 1 modem. What you need is to either a Coax to Ethernet converter coming out of your modem:
http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images200x200/728077.jpg
They are hit and miss though so there is no guarantee. Make sure it is only running on one coax line out as well.

Or you can use Ethernet over power switch:
http://www.rjl.com.au/marketplace/pictures/hardware/ethernet_0.jpg
imo I think these are very Hokey (sp?) and are absolute last resort. Also the Ping rate is slower so there will be a delay (not good for gaming)

Do you have a phone jack in the room with the gaming pc or xbox? Open it up and see what kind of cabling is used. If it is cat5 I would just have a direct line to the modem.

pheoxs
07-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Swap it out for just a modem. Connect that modem to a good wireless router. Then connect a second router setup as an access point via ethernet to router #1.

Alternatively just buy a repeater and place it in the middle and use that