Model A4
Kilometers 129893
Body Type Sedan
Transmission Automatic
Colour Black
Drivetrain All-wheel drive (AWD)

Price
$19,856.44

Does this car raise any red flags for the Audi gurus online?
Is there anything to be worried about when buying a newer A4 with a healthy amount of km's on them?

Good price? Overpriced?

I'd prefer a 2.0T TT but I can't afford the markup on that model.

I just love the fit/finish of the recent generation of Audi.

Sugarphreak
07-22-2014, 09:31 AM

SkiBum5.0
07-22-2014, 10:21 AM
That's the first model year for the B8 chassis which might be a red flag. I would be concerned about the dealer - if the car was mint, an Audi dealer would have snapped it up. Might just be because of the KMs.

Canmorite
07-22-2014, 10:28 AM
I've heard from multiple Audi owners that they wouldn't own an Audi without a warranty. I know you can get an Audi warranty on certified second hand cars, maybe something to look into?

E46..sTyLez
07-22-2014, 10:34 AM
I have a buddy that recently bought an 09 A4 2.0T and within a week he noticed it was puffing black smoke. So bad that is shows up on his bumper now. Something to look into..

BavarianBeast
07-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I've heard from multiple Audi owners that they wouldn't own an Audi without a warranty. I know you can get an Audi warranty on certified second hand cars, maybe something to look into?

This is somewhat true. I've only owned 3 Audi's, a 3.0 A4, a 4.2L S4 and a 2.7TT S4 (Current winter car)

The 3.0 I would of cared less if it had warranty or not, the thing was built strong and I never had anything go wrong with it. Regular maintence and kept up with the timing belt changes/etc and it ran great. The 4.2L S4 on the other hand... Well fuck, that thing ended up running me over $12k in repair bills over the short 12 months I owned the thing. The car seemed amazing at first glance, but when things started going it became expensive really quick. The 2.7TT is a project car for me, so things are being changed constantly, but I don't mind.

I think your best bet is to do some research on the audizine forums and see some of the common problems associated with the car and make your choice from there.

R-Audi
07-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Different variations of the 1.8T and 2.0T have been used by Audi and VW since 96 or 97 I believe.. while there is the odd hiccup, they tend to be quite steady.
(Coilpacks for a few years... cam follower on some others)

Like anything, get it inspected by a trustworthy mechanic.

The "One time I heard" type stories really dont help anyone. Ive owned 5 different Audis over the past 10 years or so and have only had basic maintenance on all of them. (Or issues related to modifications I installed) Its all about the cars you buy.....

Modelexis
07-22-2014, 11:58 AM
The oil consumption comments I've been reading online are worrying.

Tarrantula
07-22-2014, 12:20 PM
I would say as long as you are willing to spend a lot of money fixing it you will be fine.

Oil consumption VERY much depends on driving style. The EGR system in these cars can produce a lot of oil vapours that end up being recirculated in the system - obviously if you are very aggressive, driving WOT then letting off pedal - you will use more oil.

I own an 08 4.2L and ive spent barely 1K on parts in the last 3 years. Im at 150K and still running strong. Ebay is your friend.

danno
07-22-2014, 12:48 PM
My 07 gti had the 2.0t engine and it was very good up to 120k km. I had a fuel pump go but I was tuned so i expect some extra wear and tear.

Now in my 07 rs4 so far I havnt put any money into it, fingers are crossed everyday that nothing goes wrong. Which may lead to me selling it sooner than later. I miss having a civic that I know will be good to 300k km. both my audi and vw use a quart of oil in between oil changes. I think they say anything more than a quart after 1500km is a problem.

bspot
07-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

The 4.2L S4 on the other hand... Well fuck, that thing ended up running me over $12k in repair bills over the short 12 months I owned the thing.

I'm guessing timing?

Those things are actually pretty solid.... until the timing goes. Then you're screwed.

BavarianBeast
07-22-2014, 12:57 PM
^ Actually the cylinder head cracked, not sure what from.

Ended up having to pull the engine, machine the heads. That was the bulk of that $12k.

gulfstorm
07-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Seems like the price is okay..I am sure there is some wiggle room.
I had a B8 Avant 2.0 with similar kms. Mine did have the oil consumption issue that resulted in the whole engine needing to be rebuild - new rings etc.
However this was covered under warranty. My thought is if this was an issue on this car , it would have manifested itself by now. The reason why B8s had this issue is because of a fault batch of rings from the factory, which resulted in this issue from 09-12 MY. There is a talk on some audi forums that some dealerships will address the issue even out of warranty but no guarantee on that.

Another common issue is the air-oil separator, which when faulty increases crankcase pressure and also results in increased oil consumption.

Also watch for worn front axle, CV joints, tie rods etc if you are going to be test driving it.

This one has a sport package just by looking at the rims. Very nice package to have!!! You get the seats, lower stiffer suspension and a nice steering wheel.

Good luck on your search.