PDA

View Full Version : Paging MB experts...I'm looking to buy

E46..sTyLez
07-22-2014, 09:40 AM
I found what appears to be a really good deal on a 2001 S430. It's from an older gentlemen, with a lot of money. He had it as his summer car at his Palm springs home.

Details:
2001 S430
Original owner
97,600kms
Airmatic compressor done at 91,000km
Suspension and brakes also done a 91k
No accidents
All service records available

Reason for selling: Has too many cars at the moment

My question to you...Anything I should worry about? Does it sound like a decent vehicle, or am I going to regret it because of repair and maintenance costs?
I'm more worried about maintenance because I plan on getting a mechanical inspection done.

Thanks!!

killramos
07-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Don't buy the 430 without driving it, while it might be a nice big V8 it puts out about as much power as an old V6 mustang :barf:

Mileage is terrible, balance make the car impossible to drive in the winter.

The electronics on my mother in law's went on a regular basis ( things like the dashboard completely stopped working). very poor reliability, a wheel fell off hers one time to ( though that was probably blaskin and lane's fault...). Media system was also quite poor if i remember correctly...

Its a comfortable car but as far as mercs go they aren't very good.

If he had it at Palm Springs check if its a US car, could cause you some issues.

Please if you heed anything i say test drive it first.

rage2
07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
That era of Mercedes cars were terribly unreliable. So terrible in fact that MB shelved all performance vehicle projects to punish engineers for dropping Mercedes down to the bottom of reliability rankings.

It will be a money pit. Stay far away.

rx7_turbo2
07-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It will be a money pit. Stay far away.
This.

Anybody I know who has a car from that era is constantly buying an electronic module for this and then that. The price tag on some of these parts can get out of hand.

killramos
07-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Yea my father in law pointed out to the dealer than he has spent more than the value of his honda accord on parts. Meanwhile the honda never broke once lol...

J.M.
07-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Yea my father in law pointed out to the dealer than he has spent more than the value of his honda accord on parts. Meanwhile the honda never broke once lol...

:rofl:

ercchry
07-22-2014, 05:00 PM
if you want a big land yacht of that era... LS430 all the way :thumbsup:

rx7_turbo2
07-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
if you want a big land yacht of that era... LS430 all the way :thumbsup:

I would agree with that. I know one family that passed their LS430 down to their son when it was time for something new. Besides general wear and tear and oil changes last I talked with the son the odometer was north of 300k, without any plans to get rid of it.

slinkie
07-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Chrysler years :barf:

clem24
07-23-2014, 04:33 PM
How's the W221 (2005 - 2013)? There's a metallic brown S550 4Matic by my place and I have to stare at it everytime I walk by with my dogs.. I know, I am getting old. I think if I were to trade in my car today, the S550 would be close to the top of my want list.