PDA

View Full Version : Quebec bans 'hellaflush' cars.

carson blocks
07-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I just came across this on Jalopnik. It looks like Quebec has outlawed stanced or 'hellaflush' cars.

Hellaflush is a practice of cosmetic modifications that comes to the detriment of handling and road holding capabilities which consist of: Lowering the suspension of the vehicle Installing oversized and offset wheels (offset greater than of the stock wheels) Installing tires too narrow for the wheels (tire stretching). These modifications,that affect the geometry of the vehicles suspension, are generally observed by the presence of exaggerated negative camber. This is an overview of the principals of hellaflush and the reason this practice is prohibited.

Jalopnik Article: http://jalopnik.com/the-fascists-in-quebec-just-banned-your-hellaflush-car-1609831093

Quebec SAAC website (en francais of course) http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/securite_routiere/vehicules_technologies/hellaflush/index.php

xnvy
07-24-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm torn.

Good if it keeps those cheaper often homemade and unsafe mods like cut springs off the road. Also good if it keeps you from going so low as to scrape everywhere. A ban on excessive tire stretching would be nice.

That said, banning a style of car modification seems a bit too much. Next thing they'll do is ban stripped interiors and aftermarket steering wheels that remove the airbag. :whipped:

They should also be fair and go after another demographic. Let's ban lifted trucks with no mud flaps and HID's in halogen housings.

E46..sTyLez
07-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
HID's in halogen housings.

Fixed. HID's are supposed to be in projector housing.

That said, it isn't illegal to have them?? I would think if you blind out a cop, he'd find some sort of ticket for you..

DeleriousZ
07-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Fuck those stupid frenchies.

Now that I've got that out of my system, I hope they start banning other 'car modification scene' things like lifted bro-trucks that have their tires sticking a foot out of their fenders. Hell why stop there? Why not ban ALL performance or aesthetic modifications to any vehicle with wheels, tracks or otherwise.

Also, someone please show me the rash of increased accidents that have happened since the 'hellaflush' scene came into the mainstream. I'd love to see some hard data that supports this ban.

xnvy
07-24-2014, 12:49 PM
@E46: Oh oops. My bad. Learned something today!

DeleriousZ
07-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez

Fixed. HID's are supposed to be in projector housing.

That said, it isn't illegal to have them?? I would think if you blind out a cop, he'd find some sort of ticket for you..

"Headlamps
A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped, must have at least two headlamps, one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle.
The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear, untinted glazing.
A person shall not attach or apply anything that colours the light from a headlamp to the headlamp, part of the headlamp or a bulb in the headlamps."

They could probably bend that one way or the other, but the amount of camry's with hid's in stock housings driving around makes me think they'd only try it if they wanted to nail you for a bunch of things.

E46..sTyLez
07-24-2014, 01:04 PM
I used to have HID's in my civic (like 9 years ago) that you could probably see from space. I still don't know how I never got a ticket or even a warning lol..

rage2
07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
That said, banning a style of car modification seems a bit too much.
It's better than HK, where *any* modification is illegal. Even spacers haha.

Canmorite
07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Banning one type of modification opens the doors to banning many, many more. I totally disagree with a ban on the 'style'. Just because you hate on it doesn't mean it needs to be banned.

P.s. Quebec :rofl:

sidewaysD
07-24-2014, 02:20 PM
What about Mexi-flush? and Hella-fail?

sidewaysD
07-24-2014, 02:24 PM

They should also be fair and go after another demographic. Let's ban lifted trucks with no mud flaps and HID's in halogen housings.

and deliberate coal rolling ;)

Disoblige
07-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm starting to get annoyed at HID's in halogen projectors now too. Some of them give off a pretty bad glare and some people have no idea the difference between halogen and HID projectors. Both are projectors, but they spread the light differently.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but seeing tons of Subaru's with HID's in halogen projectors, and in fogs. Annoying.

Mitsu3000gt
07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm in favor of banning things that are generally annoying for other drivers (and occasionally unsafe), for example badly done HID's, lifted trucks with no or inadequate mudflaps, "rolling coal" of any kind, cars so low that they hold up traffic for a long time while they inch over speed bumps, down ramps and the like, straight piped Harleys, etc.

On the other hand, I don't like limiting what people can do with their cars, but I'd be in favor of some reasonable restrictions for sure. The problem is deciding where to draw the line, so it's probably best to just do nothing.

Unknown303
07-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Might as well just ban mods. Anything that isn't stock gets a ticket.

Ca_Silvia13
07-24-2014, 03:00 PM
It's a slippery slope....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Fuck Quebec.

That is all...

Unknown303
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QIGesTq.jpg

Sugarphreak
07-24-2014, 03:50 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
07-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
I hope they start banning other 'car modification scene' things like lifted bro-trucks that have their tires sticking a foot out of their fenders.

Tires outside the fenders and lack of mudflaps are already illegal and are one of the more common "illegal mod" tickets. Enforcement is pretty lenient about illegal modifications in general, though.

Matty_10
07-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
BAN Quebec.
fixed

msommers
07-24-2014, 04:31 PM
The cheap HID kits in stock trucks is more common/worse as you travel further north. Add in crazy lifted trucks and no aiming, it's horrible at night. It's funny how my 4R is the baby truck up there.

I have aftermarket HIDs in mine but I had LS460 projectors retrofitted into the stock headlight assembly. Expensive and a pain in the ass but it works as it should.

g-m
07-24-2014, 05:09 PM
HIDs in reflector housings at night is my #1 most hated thing to see. Then half the bro lifted trucks with said mod also have big LED light bars on the bumper that make it even worse. Its like driving into the sun

Skidro
07-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Le hellaflush lol

slinkie
07-24-2014, 11:05 PM
I think the only dangerous part is super-stretched tires. With all the other stuff, the only "danger" is to their own fenders.

I do kind of hate these style of cars though, it looks like a piano fell on the roof. Only cool on big VIP sedans imo

I remember an article on this forum a few years ago that stated quebec was banning RHD vehicles too. What ever happened to that?

xnvy
07-25-2014, 01:40 AM
^They did ban RHD vehicles IIRC. Can't import them into the province, impossible to register and insure.

AMFH403
07-25-2014, 08:07 AM
^They did ban RHD vehicles IIRC. Can't import them into the province, impossible to register and insure.

http://www.tokyomotorimports.com/engines.html

So they banned RHD vehicles for import? What does this site sell in Montreal, QC?

DeleriousZ
07-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Wow seriously? I didn't hear about that... OK quebec, you have the green light to separate... and maybe sink into the earth's core or something.

yep...

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road_safety/vehicles/righthand_drive/index.php

what the fuck man...

n1zm0
07-25-2014, 08:12 AM

I thought it was just a temporary ban in 2009 to evaluate the safety of them.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-temporarily-bans-import-of-right-hand-drive-vehicles-1.821271

edit:

Wow seriously? I didn't hear about that...

whoa, didn't even hear about that either

Modelexis
07-25-2014, 08:13 AM

Wow seriously? I didn't hear about that... OK quebec, you have the green light to separate... and maybe sink into the earth's core or something.

yep...

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road_safety/vehicles/righthand_drive/index.php

what the fuck man...

vehicles over 25 years old;

so it looks like just newer RHD are illegal.

Strider
07-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Meh... I'll take the unpopular opinion and applaud Quebec for it :clap:

Funny how everybody always bitches that speed limits are too low because cars have gotten more advanced (better handling, better braking, better pedestrian injury mitigation, etc), yet they go and slap on some ridiculous mods to compromise all of that.

Slippery slope, yes... but who gets to judge what's a "safe" mod and what isn't?
Should we let the bro truck crowd decide? or the ricers?

Seth1968
07-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm in favor of banning things that are generally annoying for other drivers (and occasionally unsafe), for example badly done HID's, lifted trucks with no or inadequate mudflaps, "rolling coal" of any kind, cars so low that they hold up traffic for a long time while they inch over speed bumps, down ramps and the like, straight piped Harleys, etc.

On the other hand, I don't like limiting what people can do with their cars, but I'd be in favor of some reasonable restrictions for sure. The problem is deciding where to draw the line, so it's probably best to just do nothing.

I agree with most of that, but doing nothing due to that slippery slope argument seems akin to burying ones head in the sand.

I applaud Quebec for this type of legislation, but other than that, I wish the rest of Canada had a referendum on whether or not to kick out Quebec. The Canadians who choose to boot them out, will no longer be forced to pay for Quebec's self righteous and "entitled" ass.

xnvy
07-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by AMFH403

http://www.tokyomotorimports.com/engines.html

So they banned RHD vehicles for import? What does this site sell in Montreal, QC? I don't see any vehicles on that site. Just parts.

clem24
07-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Banning RHD and stupid mods + mandatory winter tires? Wow Quebec is actually doing some things right! :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
07-25-2014, 03:47 PM
The pic they use as an example on the gov site isn't even that bad.