PDA

View Full Version : Remove top soil before sodding

wdqx
07-28-2014, 10:14 PM
I have a new built house and I plant to install the sod by myself. I apply the roundup twice, it seemed the weed is really tough, some of them are not dead. I am going to pull them as more as I can.

I will rototill the yard. May be followed by power rake. Is this procedure adequate to remove the weed? Do I need to remove all the 4 ~ 6inch top soil and replace with new loam? What is the pros and cons of new loam?

Any suggestion and lesson learned will be appreciated?

94CoRd
07-29-2014, 07:30 AM
I find loam helps the new sod take.. but that depends on what your current soil is like. If you rototill the yard and remove all the dead weeds and growth - and your soil seems soft, not very much clay in it - sodding over top would suffice.

If the old soil is okay, I would look at getting some loam, and rototilling it into the old soil. You wouldn't need as much loam as replacing 4-6 inches of top soil, and you'll increase the quality of your current soil.

I'd also look at waiting a bit until this heatwave is over to install new sod. It would need crazy amounts of water each day to keep alive. :dunno:

avishal26
07-29-2014, 09:08 AM
^ without adding loam in... would it simply take longer for the grass to take or would it not take at all? or would it simply not be as green as quickly?

I just roto-tilled and raked my back-yard last weekend and considering sod install soon.

94CoRd
07-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by avishal26
^ without adding loam in... would it simply take longer for the grass to take or would it not take at all? or would it simply not be as green as quickly?

I just roto-tilled and raked my back-yard last weekend and considering sod install soon.

Depends on your current soil. If you put water on it - does it absorb quickly, or does it just sit on top? (is it clay-ie) Loam makes it easy for the roots of the sod to penetrate and reach moisture in the soil. Loam also holds moisture really well.

At the very least, by adding new loam, you restore nutrients that help new grass and plants grow - which could speak to the 'making it greener' part of your question.

ottamania
07-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by wdqx
I have a new built house and I plant to install the sod by myself. I apply the roundup twice, it seemed the weed is really tough, some of them are not dead. I am going to pull them as more as I can.

I will rototill the yard. May be followed by power rake. Is this procedure adequate to remove the weed? Do I need to remove all the 4 ~ 6inch top soil and replace with new loam? What is the pros and cons of new loam?

Any suggestion and lesson learned will be appreciated?

if its a small yard, I would remove 4-6" of soil with all the weeds and put in new loam. Be sure to fertilize the loam surface before installing sod. It helps it alot to get it goin at first. Have to water it everyday to make sure sod doesn't dry up tho. pm me if you are gonna need a dump trailer.

avishal26
08-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Did mine today with my wife and help from some good friends... 210 rolls of sod (2100 sq ft) and my estimate was bang on :D

Got Manderley drought resistant grasss - it was the greenest sod I've ever seen put down in our area. Awesome! Let's hope it stays green. I didn't add any topsoil on top of what the are developer provided... just roto-tilled and added some fertilizer from Manderley.. looks so good!.. I think so anyway

94CoRd
08-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Looks good! Now you can join me in a prayer for some rain!

avishal26
08-04-2014, 07:56 PM
^Prayers answered!

Started raining right after I watered too... so grass should be nice and moist to last through the sunny day tomorrow while I'm at work