PDA

View Full Version : MItsubishi Oil Changes...need help ?!

avsfan
03-03-2004, 03:53 PM
My wife bought a Montero Sport with 54k miles on it. It was given a dino oil change before we bought it. I took it last week to get synthetic put in (only 500 miles ), because I always use it. I noticed oil on the ground days afterward (never oil on floor previous to the oil change). I took it in and was told that Mitsubishi has a plate covering the nut and filter and that oil had built up on plate from draining it. It was filled 1/2 quart over (their book was wrong). While he drained the excess he showed me how it came out of vehicle...not the typical pour but a large, wide fast drip. He said that was common with foreign vehicles and that was why there was some excess oil on my floor. Anybody has experience with this? Did the overfill hurt the vehicle (only 2 weeks and less than 50 miles driven on it). I just want peace of mind.....please help with anything I should know. The US forums couldn't help me..so I came to the more knowledgable ones Thanks!

EK 2.0
03-03-2004, 03:57 PM
First off, thanks for thinking we are knowledgeable...

Secondly, a lil oil dripped after a change is normal, on most cars, from the way the oil pan sits over cross memebers or whatever...I know when I worked in the trade I used to entirely wipe down customers cars after a change to ensure it was kosher and clean...most guys nowadays dont take the time to do that...

If the drip continues, and your oil level decreases then you have a problem, if not then chalk it up as overfill, or messy draning and tell the tech next time you take it in if he could wipe it down when hes done...

Arif.

ecstasy_civic
03-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
First off, thanks for thinking we are knowledgeable...

Secondly, a lil oil dripped after a change is normal, on most cars, from the way the oil pan sits over cross memebers or whatever...I know when I worked in the trade I used to entirely wipe down customers cars after a change to ensure it was kosher and clean...most guys nowadays dont take the time to do that...

If the drip continues, and your oil level decreases then you have a problem, if not then chalk it up as overfill, or messy draning and tell the tech next time you take it in if he could wipe it down when hes done...

Arif.

:werd:
Same shit when I did that work.
people are careless.

cobber112879
03-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Ask them to use a little brake cleens next time. Cleans that residue up real well.

Zero102
03-04-2004, 12:48 AM
To answer the second question. It's virtually harmless to run it 1/2L over full for 50 miles. Don't even worry about it.