PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip to Ontario - Tips?

Hanzo
07-30-2014, 09:34 AM
All,

I'm doing a road trip to Toronto in a couple of weeks. We were thinking of going through Regina, Fargo, Chicago, before landing in TO.

Since we are taking a semi beater car, I am worried that it may break down. If that did happen, will my AMA work with AAA in the states? If not, what can I do? How did you guys deal with this during your road trips?

Any other useful tips on a road trip through the States?

Thanks.

Manhattan
07-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Rent a car that has unlimited kilometers & allows you to drive into the states. Could be very cheap when the costs are split between a few friends.

Seth1968
07-30-2014, 10:38 AM
No tips, but I'm curious as to why you're not going in from Northern Ontario.

Central to Northern Ontario is a non stop painting of majestic landscapes.

Tik-Tok
07-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Personally, I would head straight south to the U.S., then east.

You'll save a bundle on fuel, food, and hotels.

ercchry
07-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
No tips, but I'm curious as to why you're not going in from Northern Ontario.

Central to Northern Ontario is a non stop painting of majestic landscapes.

probably cause interstate vs 70-90km/h roads... i believe its a... 5hr difference? and probably want to see some big US cities too

ExtraSlow
07-30-2014, 10:48 AM
I would for sure stay in the USA as much as possible. Faster roads, cheaper consumables.

Hanzo
07-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback gents.

We are not renting a car because the main purpose of this trip is to drive the car over to TO so my wife could use it for a year while she's doing her internship there.

It's a 2001 Honda Civic SI - I don't know if it can handle this long road trip.

taemo
07-30-2014, 11:58 AM
^i dont see why not as long you did the proper maintenance on the vehicle plus i've seen dodge neons with ontario plates here :rofl:

firebane
07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
It may not seem like a lot but that drive from Thunder bay to Slt Ste Marie is VEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY long. Its a pretty drive but very long.

Seth1968
07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by firebane
It may not seem like a lot but that drive from Thunder bay to Slt Ste Marie is VEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY long. Its a pretty drive but very long.

^ Yep.

I did it an '88 Chev Sprint loaded to the hilt. That included a roof rack with so much stuff that it looked like a giant pancake:)

revelations
07-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Northen Ont is GORGEOUS ... in the fall. I've spent a month around Geraldton/Kenora/Tbay and thats the best time. In the summer its flooded with RVs, and other slow molasses.

The OPP is also EVERYWHERE, because the speed limits suddenly and magically decrease 10-20kph once you cross the MB border into Ontario. :rolleyes:

firebane
07-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Northen Ont is GORGEOUS ... in the fall. I've spent a month around Geraldton/Kenora/Tbay and thats the best time. In the summer its flooded with RVs, and other slow molasses.

The OPP is also EVERYWHERE, because the speed limits suddenly and magically decrease 10-20kph once you cross the MB border into Ontario. :rolleyes:

With a giant billboard to scare the crap out of you for speeding then bam.. some 18 wheeler in a b train flies by doing 120km/h

SkiBum5.0
07-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by revelations

This is also where they send the new recruits in the OPP. My family is from Nipigon and it's a battle every time to keep away from the black and white.

Great country though and unless your goal is minimize time, worth the extra kms. Won't be as many RV's and shit after the Sept long weekend as well.

adamc
10-10-2015, 08:42 PM
bump.

towing a boat from Kelowna to Toronto next week, anyone have suggestions on a fast route?

have to drop the boat off in Toledo, then will be making my way on to Toronto.

Was thinking Calgary to central Sask and down through the Dakotas, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

revelations
10-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by adamc
bump.

towing a boat from Kelowna to Toronto next week, anyone have suggestions on a fast route?

have to drop the boat off in Toledo, then will be making my way on to Toronto.

Was thinking Calgary to central Sask and down through the Dakotas, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

https://goo.gl/maps/JrW9VfWFpRv for TOLEDO WA

https://goo.gl/maps/rdrMg1dmYH82 for TOLEDO OH

adamc
10-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Yup, Ohio, thanks. That was the route I was looking at as well. Going to be a long haul. :nut:

Hanzo
10-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I ended up going through the US.

day 1 - stayed in Regina
day 2 - stayed in Fargo
day 3 - Chicago
day 4 - London, ontario.

Oh if you go through tolls in Illinois, make sure you pay for it. I thought I can get away with not paying with AB license plate but they were able to find my home address and threaten to press charges if I didn't pay up. Ended up having to pay $80 USD for a $2 toll with all the late fees and such.