PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment ideas while living out in the field (paging DDs,MWDs,company men)

ddduke
08-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Looking for some ideas to stay entertained and fill my day while out in the field. I don't mean guys who stay in camp but guys who live in shacks on site. Remote locations not close to town. My current wells are about 45-50 days long.

I don't watch TV and can't focus on it for more then about 3 minutes. I'm up most of the day, I just nap whenever I'm tired, for example today I slept from 7am-noon, stayed up till 10pm, slept for an hour, it's 1am now and I'll likely be up till about 6-8am at which time I'll sleep for a few hours.

Right now to stay entertained I:
-Exercise twice a day, I have enough exercise equipment to do basically any workout I need to.
-Read a ton of books
-Surf beyond, as well as other sites
-Cook elaborate meals and BBQ daily
-Vape constantly

Also, there are no issues with my work, I'm usually a few days ahead on paperwork and have very little hiccups, everything is done on time and how it's supposed to be done.

What do you guys do?

theken
08-04-2014, 02:56 AM
Jerk off and play video games

ddduke
08-04-2014, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by theken
Jerk off and play video games

Solid advice.

Maybe I should just completely replace reading and exercise for masturbation and video games.

XylathaneGTR
08-04-2014, 07:24 AM
I've been attempting to learn Spanish while I've been in the field (duolingo.com). If you can focus on it, it eats up some time.

calgarygts
08-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Musical instrument would be a good way to entertain yourself and bring something back home that you can enjoy. I'm partial to guitars, and you can always get a ukelele if space is an issue.

theken
08-04-2014, 12:12 PM
You asked what we do. I told you what I did.

Disoblige
08-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Hang out with people?
Organize some sports in a rec facility if you have one with said people?

That's what I try to do.

Cos
08-04-2014, 05:33 PM

msommers
08-04-2014, 06:15 PM
It's tough but depends how your relief is if they're cool hanging out during their shift. I know this is one thing I find really helpful from going socially retarded out there, and getting to know all the guys in the command shack too.

Read, make really good meals, learn a language, instrument, skype, video games, movies, go for a run, bring weights/chin-up bar. It's easy to let your mind rot out there if you don't keep it active.

Also you can do courses online for something that interests you, tests/assignments keep you motivated.

Try to stay away from online shopping :rofl: Fuck sometimes I'll come home and it's Christmas in July!

ddduke
08-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by msommers
It's tough but depends how your relief is if they're cool hanging out during their shift. I know this is one thing I find really helpful from going socially retarded out there, and getting to know all the guys in the command shack too.

Read, make really good meals, learn a language, instrument, skype, video games, movies, go for a run, bring weights/chin-up bar. It's easy to let your mind rot out there if you don't keep it active.

Also you can do courses online for something that interests you, tests/assignments keep you motivated.

Try to stay away from online shopping :rofl: Fuck sometimes I'll come home and it's Christmas in July!

Some good ideas, I am buddies with everyone on site so that makes for some good entertainment, the only person I don't really talk to is the medic.

I have to calm down on the working out though. I'm losing so much muscle mass from over exercise it's getting out of hand. I'm hovering around 200 from 218 in feb, I also don't have much fat to begin with.

Going to start learning spanish I think.

Originally posted by Disoblige
Hang out with people?
Organize some sports in a rec facility if you have one with said people?

That's what I try to do.

Did you read my original post?
I'm about 200km from any decent town and have to be available 24/7.

J.M.
08-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

:rofl:

J-D
08-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Apply for some office jobs?

Sounds horrible. :dunno:

ExtraSlow
08-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Do some kind of online education. Some MWD's get their MBA or a second degree by correspondence.

CanmoreOrLess
08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Meditation (TM courses are quick), draw, origami, internet chess (learn it if you don't have the skill), read a vocabulary book, juggle, write short stories, languages (spanish and ???). All things you can take with you after leaving your current job, skills for life. You have the time so use it, in a year you'll wish you had done more. Many would welcome the types of "problems" you are having. I'd love a few weeks away from it all and concentrate on what I feel is important right next to work.

ddduke
08-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by J-D
Apply for some office jobs?

Sounds horrible. :dunno:

My last job was an office job and that was horrible.

This is way better for me, I work 45 days then I get 14 off, in that time I can travel (I have companionship for an airline so it's dirt cheap for me) then during spring break up I get 1-3 months off to do whatever I want and I still get paid my base salary.

There also aren't very many office jobs that pay this well. I'm not going to disclose my income but the guy that works next to me got paid just over $45000 for July.

DeleriousZ
08-05-2014, 08:07 AM
learn how to speedrun video games lol

Sugarphreak
08-05-2014, 08:30 AM

Disoblige
08-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

I'm about 200km from any decent town and have to be available 24/7.
oops, my bad man. I read "live in shacks" but totally ignored the on-site part. 200 km wow :eek:

vengie
08-05-2014, 08:59 AM
What's your position??

ddduke
08-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Just get rediculously good at BattleField, Grand Theft Auto, or Halo and then torment people online

You could also try to beat my weekly post whore rating, that will keep you busy

I know if I had that kind of time, I'd probably get into a weekly routine for working out. Leg day, Chest Day, Back Day, Arm Day... etc. Blogging or writting is also a good way to keep your mind sharp and pass time.

I think I'll get started on being the biggest post whore today, haha. What's your weekly average? So I know what I have to strive for.

I already have a crazy workout routine going, I actually need to calm down, I'm losing mass way too fast, I haven't felt this small in a very long time. Need to completely cut out cardio too.

I did a fair bit of this morning into correspondence classes I could take, I think I'll just buzz through power engineering for shits and giggles. Also ordered a fair bit of fake skin to keep up with my tattooing.

Sugarphreak
08-05-2014, 10:30 AM

DeleriousZ
08-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Hey look I'm on that list lol.

spikerS
08-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Hey look I'm on that list lol.

And I am finally off it! WOOHOO!

pick up a hobby like RC vehicles. I have a blast with em, they can take up a lot of time, and you can build some pretty sweet rigs, and even aerial photography!

msommers
08-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Top 10 posters:
http://boardreader.com/site/Beyond_ca_Car_Forums_Automotiv_14781.html

Shit :rofl:

FraserB
08-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Sugarphreak needs a special title. He displays true heart and dedication to internet forum posting.

Sugarphreak
08-05-2014, 11:05 AM

revelations
08-05-2014, 11:23 AM
The time I spent in camps, or driving 10 hours a day:

- learned some Spanish (ok only got into the 1st CD, wasnt able to write things down while driving)
- Simcity on the laptop (no need for stable internet connection)
- research ideas and solutions for home renovations / decor / aesthetics
- gym, exercise (outside, when wildlife or bugs werent a huge concern)
- learn about relaxation, mind clearing exercises (amazing)
- picked a topic that interested me and read about it (if the office had a printer, I sometimes printed off a book) - RECOMMEND eREADER

I would say that I was far more productive in the evenings on the ROAD that I was at home.

msommers
08-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Shush.... I am holding out for an awesome title like "Phreak-a-Phone" or "Phreak on a leash"

Phreaking-Hummers (up for debatable interpretation :D )

XylathaneGTR
08-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by revelations

- learn about relaxation, mind clearing exercises (amazing)

Do you have any sources or references for this?

revelations
08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Do you have any sources or references for this?

Crap, I'd have to find the book again,I think it was one of those "Mental Relaxation for Dummies" books.

Starts with breathing exercises, then trying to think about nothing except a white board in your mind with nothing on it. Then focusing on each part of the body and mentally relaxing it. It was wierd when you focused on an area (eg elbow) and it would sometimes start to tingle. I think I was up to 1/2 hour sessions at one point and I'd totally lost track of time.

I would recommend nature sounds (eg rain) through headphones as camps can be noisy sometimes (even though boots arent allowed inside many).

Also many good, audio relaxation sessions on YouTube as well now.