PDA

View Full Version : Best fireplace wood?

rx7_turbo2
08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Not that I'm getting prepared for winter just yet, but figured I should fill up my firewood racks now while I'm thinking about it and not when it's -30 and they're empty.

So best wood for burning in an open fireplace? Over the years I've burnt Spruce, Fur, Birch, Applewood, Cedar shingles, old pizza boxes. Because the fireplace is open with only a screen something that doesn't pop and spit as much is nice. What's everyone's favourite and why?

Tik-Tok
08-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm a big fan of applewood. Gets very hot with low flames. Perhaps its better suited for a wood burning stove than a fireplace though.

XylathaneGTR
08-05-2014, 08:53 PM
On a side note; where do you guys get your wood (not just firewood...project wood too).
I've been quoting with Windsor on a home project and they seem to have trouble getting what I'm looking for and their prices seem way higher than I expected.

project240
08-06-2014, 05:51 AM
I prefer PJ White or Black Forest is decent as well for lumber.

pho88
08-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
On a side note; where do you guys get your wood (not just firewood...project wood too).
I've been quoting with Windsor on a home project and they seem to have trouble getting what I'm looking for and their prices seem way higher than I expected.

this thread has the main lumber supplier by province. Alberta is about 1/3 down the page.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?41786-Hardwood-Lumber-suppliers-by-province

PJ white is probably gonna be the cheapest, but they typically sell only to businesses. Riemer and Upper Canada will probably be next best prices.

ExtraSlow
08-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Birch is widely regarded as the best fireplace wood. If it's been dried properly, it should have very little popping or crackling, and burn very nicely.

Apple and Cherry are also great, but usually more expensive. Both of those are great for cooking/smoking with.

I buy from wood depot, they have all these varieties, plus pine and a few others, and it's supposed to be kiln dried, so that's a plus.

sputnik
08-06-2014, 12:20 PM
I burn birch and oak.

project240
08-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I burn birch and oak.

Oak is really tough to find in AB. Birch is probably your best bet, but can't beat the smell of cedar.

rx7_turbo2
08-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by project240

Oak is really tough to find in AB. Birch is probably your best bet, but can't beat the smell of cedar.
Sounds like birch is the consensus. I love the smell of cedar but it burns so damn fast.