PDA

View Full Version : Home maintenance and upkeep

LUDELVR
08-06-2014, 06:22 AM
I have totally forgotten what our real estate agent said to us about the maintenance and upkeep for things in our house such as the humidifier, furnace and other things tucked away in the wee bowels of our basement.

How often is one to clean the furnace, do something to the humidifier And what other things should be checked and maintained?

ExtraSlow
08-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Furnace "cleaning" is rarely needed. Change the filter every few months in the months that you use it (so all year if you have AC). Gotta de-scale the humidifier or change the pad once a year or so.
That's about it.

Sugarphreak
08-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Tik-Tok
08-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I think it is also recommended to drain out the bottom of your hot water tank once a year to remove any deposits that are building up.

Once a month. Doesn't need to be much, just a 1/2 litre.

Lex350
08-06-2014, 08:01 AM
I was told my a cousin that works in heating that they don't recommend those 3M filters because they make you furnace work harder to draw air thorough the filter. He said to use the cheaper filters but just change them more often.

ExtraSlow
08-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I have heard of people with AC that have had icing problems with the "high end" 3m filters. problem goes away with el-cheapo filters.

I run the cheapos, change them every six week or so in thye summer, a couple times per winter, and i see how much crap they get on them, and I have no issues with my AC. I am happy.

mr2mike
08-06-2014, 08:09 AM
I run cheap filters change more often but they're like 10 for $10.

nzwasp
08-06-2014, 08:11 AM
I use the cheap fiber glass filters but a word of warning if you are disposing of them in your bin use gloves, i got a bunch of fiber glass strands in my thumb last time and it was not pleasant.

Does anyone know anything about those electronic air cleaners that come with some furnaces. My inlaws have them on theirs and its off, i switched it on (because their house is filthy) and it turned on for a second and turned off again.

ExtraSlow
08-06-2014, 08:52 AM
There are different kinds. Electrostatic and UV are examples.
You need to know what you are dealing with.

D. Dub
08-06-2014, 01:43 PM
EPA on why furnace duct cleaning, in most cases, is throwing away good money.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

mr2mike
08-06-2014, 04:05 PM
I'll admit, I ghetto cleaned up my dryer duct.
Was outside and noticed the outlet had lint all in it. Took it off, reached in and cleaned out what I could reach. Then decided to run the furnace, and tried to cover the flap to build up some pressure to lift more lint out.
Went and tapped the duct as it's exposed downstairs and got quite a bit out.

I suppose it's potentially a fire hazard but more an efficiency issue.
I also wouldn't pay someone to come snake this clean.

nzwasp
08-06-2014, 04:07 PM
I wouldnt think your dryer duct would be connected to your furnace.

I think its a straight pipe to the dryer or laundry room.

ExtraSlow
08-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Yeah mike, what kind of slum are you living in?

D. Dub
08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
oops