PDA

View Full Version : How has child support affected your finances?

nzwasp
08-06-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't know if this affects that many beyonders but I am interested nonetheless. I was talking to my wife on the weekend about a friend who is opting to make minimum wage in order to pay the least amount of child support.

Now I was looking at the calculator and it seems to be a sliding scale. The amount you pay for one kid at $19200 is $170 and the amount you pay for one kid at $100k is 870 approx. I think i'd rather be living comfortably paying $870 a month than struggling at minimum wage and paying $170.

This particular person owns their own business so they can put the extra money back into the business but looking at the calculator it doesnt seem like theres anyway around it.

Im my opinion - unless your ex is really untrustworthy with money you are really just cheating your kid out of having the best possible life.

Sugarphreak
08-06-2014, 10:50 AM

JamMan23
08-06-2014, 10:50 AM
It sounds more like they are planning on doing some shady accounting (something they might not fully disclose, even to a friend).

M.alex
08-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Im my opinion - unless your ex is really untrustworthy with money you are really just cheating your kid out of having the best possible life.

You're already cheating your kid out of the best possible life by sticking your penor into something you didn't stick with.

Originally posted by JamMan23
It sounds more like they are planning on doing some shady accounting (something they might not fully disclose, even to a friend).

it's not shady, it's a part of effective tax planning with a business

nzwasp
08-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Meanwhile your business is getting a huge amount of cash in it (taxed only at the corperate rate), which can be taken out later on in life as dividends after the kid is 18.

I kind of thought that this was what he planned on doing or somehow paying his girlfriend who doesnt work with him money - not sure if thats legal though.

If you have a small business though is there a maximum amount of money your business can hold. I mean i think in this example the kid is 5. So 13 years of profits could be millions with interest.

Sugarphreak
08-06-2014, 11:04 AM

avishal26
08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

You're already cheating your kid out of the best possible life by sticking your penor into something you didn't stick with.

:rofl:

Perfect Dark
08-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Your friend is fucking worthless, what kind of person would rob their children to line their own pockets?

I'd give everything I owned to make sure my children get what they deserve, and if there is a concern that the money isn't being spent properly there are ways to deal with that legally.

Luckily my situation is being handled properly at both ends which makes things easy for my kids, if things go south the only one that really loses is the child.

jabjab
08-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark
Your friend is fucking worthless, what kind of person would rob their children to line their own pockets?

I'd give everything I owned to make sure my children get what they deserve, and if there is a concern that the money isn't being spent properly there are ways to deal with that legally.

Luckily my situation is being handled properly at both ends which makes things easy for my kids, if things go south the only one that really loses is the child.

We don't know the full story. The ex wife could be a total cunt and really we don't know if he knows that she'll take that money and spend a lot of it on herself. Maybe she has new bf or husband who is supporting her. I wouldn't be quick to blame the guy in this situation without knowing all the facts.

adam c
08-06-2014, 11:52 AM

My mother took all the child support money and spent it, then when I turned 18 she had the payments do directly to me instead of her so she didn't have to account for it on her tax return which I then had to start doing. She then turned around and started charging me rent, utilities, food, expenses, etc to the amount of the child support payments plus additional, I could have rented my own 1 bedroom apartment for that and came out ahead

so I can see why some people would do things like the OP is talking about

TomcoPDR
08-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Is that why you're keeping your purity at 33?

Perfect Dark
08-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by adam c

My mother took all the child support money and spent it, then when I turned 18 she had the payments do directly to me instead of her so she didn't have to account for it on her tax return which I then had to start doing. She then turned around and started charging me rent, utilities, food, expenses, etc to the amount of the child support payments plus additional, I could have rented my own 1 bedroom apartment for that and came out ahead

so I can see why some people would do things like the OP is talking about

I see that side of things too, people can be shite on both sides of the equation.

Perhaps I should ask before I condemn...is the friend withholding money but then going out to buy stuff that the child needs? If that's the case then I can definitely get behind that.

Otherwise, fuck them.

mr2mike
08-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I know someone who expected to be a stay at home single mom with rent and expenses all paid for. That soon was ended. But still...

jabjab
08-06-2014, 12:18 PM
these hoes ain't loyal

nzwasp
08-06-2014, 12:22 PM

To be honest i don't really know this guy, hes a recent addition to my other friends life. I just found the situation interesting.

I come from a country where people struggle to pay child support and yet its very common place to have many people paying it. However seems its more expensive in Canada than there.