PDA

View Full Version : Private Car Sale

jsn
08-06-2014, 06:23 PM
I remember there was a thread on test drives before but i did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I want to sell my frontier, but all the cars I've owned in the past have been traded into the dealership so I've never actually done a private sale of a car before.

I know you need to get a certified bank cheque but it's been a while since I've needed to get one. How do you know if it's an authentic certified bank cheque? Do these ever get counterfeited? Do people generally meet at the bank for the transaction to verify authenticity?

How does the test drive work? I'm assuming you just hop in the car with them? I don't want anyone test driving my truck by themselves. If there's an accident, you take the hit with your insurance?

And if they want a car inspection, do you just ask them to provide a shop, prepay for the inspection and you drop it off yourself and pick it up? I've had the car inspected just a month or two ago and it came up with no issues so I'm not going to pay for a new inspection for everyone who requests it.

Thanks in advance!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Take their drivers license and go with them on a test drive just to be safe.

elite
08-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by jsn
I remember there was a thread on test drives before but i did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I want to sell my frontier, but all the cars I've owned in the past have been traded into the dealership so I've never actually done a private sale of a car before.

I know you need to get a certified bank cheque but it's been a while since I've needed to get one. How do you know if it's an authentic certified bank cheque? Do these ever get counterfeited? Do people generally meet at the bank for the transaction to verify authenticity?

If you are worried about fraudulent certified cheques, just meet at their bank and get them to get it made in front of you. Then just do the bill of sale there.

How does the test drive work? I'm assuming you just hop in the car with them? I don't want anyone test driving my truck by themselves. If there's an accident, you take the hit with your insurance?

Take the test drive with them. You'll know who's genuinely interested in buying and who's just "looking around". Not sure what happens with an accident though (I'd assume you break it you buy it but :dunno:).

And if they want a car inspection, do you just ask them to provide a shop, prepay for the inspection and you drop it off yourself and pick it up? I've had the car inspected just a month or two ago and it came up with no issues so I'm not going to pay for a new inspection for everyone who requests it.

If they want an inspection, ask them what mechanic and they pay for it. Just meet them at the shop/dealer.

Thanks in advance!

lilmira
08-06-2014, 06:33 PM
I prefer going to the bank together. If the buyer pays cash, it would be my bank, the teller can deposit and verify the cash for me. If the buyer wants to pay by bankdraft or certified cheque, it would be the buyer's bank, I'll get it from the teller.

I'll go with the buyer for test drive for sure. My insurance will cover accident.

Inspection will be at the buyer's cost. I can arrange time to go to a shop of his choice.

bignerd
08-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Anyone authorized to sign a bank draft has a signing number as well.... It consists of a letter (the first letter of their last name) and a number. The numbers usually don't get too high. ie Draft will be signed by bank employee Bob Smith S39 or Susan Black B127. It would be signed like that.

You can also take the bank draft to any branch of that bank and they can verify it.