PDA

View Full Version : Odd issue with Aluminum, what should I do?

Graham_A_M
08-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Hey guys, my buddy just bought a used sportbike, and the exhaust has this odd almost "stain" to it... Ive never seen this before on alum.

Here it is, how do I remove this to get it to look new again?

Thanks for the help in advance.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/IMG_16091_zpsd5f66808.jpg

Sentry
08-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Just regular oxidation. Sand til it's gone then re polish. Or replace it depending on what your time is worth.

Disoblige
08-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Some Mother's aluminum polish would get that right off! I've taken way tougher stuff off my exhaust tips.

Graham_A_M
08-07-2014, 07:51 PM
^ Great thanks Home slice. I picked up a HUGE 2 oz "tub" for a piddly $9 at Auto Value today :banghead:, and wow. It made the world of difference. So now everything is removed, and it shines like its almost a chrome finish. It didn't take too much to restore it either, I was quite surprised. (Sorry I SO meant to take a pic afterwards but didn't for some odd reason). Normally I dont bother with Mothers products as to me Ive always construed that stuff to be quite low end, but that stuff sure did the trick.

Sentry, when you said "sand" aluminum, I was super leery, Its such weak metal, to take sand paper to it would have been my last resort, but thanks.... now I know what to do if all else fails.
:thumbsup: