PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy parts to hand a mechanic

asd913
08-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Where do you guys go to buy parts.

I need to have the brake pads and rotors on my 08 G35 replaced. Any suggestions where to buy the parts. I don't like to trust the mechanic's choice as I'm expect they'd go with the most convenient place for them.

I can price the rotor and pads out on tirerack but I've no idea whether the price is good or bad.

Thanks for your help!

G-ZUS
08-08-2014, 08:56 AM
RockAuto? Napa? Not many mechanics will install customer-supplied parts unless they are a backalley mechanic.

BavarianBeast
08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
^ on that note.

I found what looked like a decent set of rotors/pads for my 01 s4 on rockauto. The manufacture is called POWER STOP.. has anyone had any experience with these rotors/pads?

Thanks.s

mr2mike
08-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by asd913
I don't like to trust the mechanic's choice

But you trust their work?

Might I suggest Ebay.com? They've got some great cross drilled rotors which are also slotted for all your performance needs. Made in China so you know it's metallurgy is top notch.

Seth1968
08-08-2014, 09:16 AM
You're telling a mechanic to work on your car, but also telling him you don't trust him.

WTF?

OP's next thread:

"How do I remove brake pads that were shoved up my ass"?

n1zm0
08-08-2014, 09:22 AM
^:werd: , you trust him enough to do the work and sign his name/license # on the WO but not where he gets his autoparts?

I can price the rotor and pads out on tirerack but I've no idea whether the price is good or bad.

OEM is usually always the most expensive(aside from performance oriented aftermarket) but the most safe in terms of quality for generic pads and rotors, get a quote from them. Then goto NAPA/Autovalue/Partsource etc for other quotes, compare them :dunno: I usually just buy OEM for the DD, I know I'm getting something that was meant to be on the car from factory and feel safe after installing them, if I don't have that choice I will usually get the mid-high grade rotors/pads from autovalue or wherever.

Beware buying shitty quality rotors, within as little as a month you could potentially have them warp depending on the brand. Besides that, impo, cheaping out on something that has a direct impact on saving your life isn't a very smart idea, again just my opinion.

DeleriousZ
08-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Yeah auto mechanics don't usually like to install customer supplied parts. Has to do with their ability to provide a warranty on the parts and their ability to profit on markup.

?v=H6pyR6YfKP4&list=UUa7guRnhniICnS0mJbSDmMg

Seth1968
08-08-2014, 09:33 AM
I guess I was a little harsh there, but anyway, you're going about it all wrong. Simply talk to the shop about what type of parts you want, etc.

VWEvo
08-08-2014, 09:36 AM
asd913, you should just buy a new car ;)

asd913
08-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Wow. I'm sorry I asked. I guess there are no companies that sells parts better that OE. There also must not be anywhere I can get oem parts without the dealership markup.

MR2-3S-GTE
08-08-2014, 09:53 AM
My personal preference is autopartsway or rockauto. Can't go wrong with either one. You can usually find a promo code online for autopartsway. As for rotors and pad...Pilenga or Zimmerman or Brembo blanks and Akebono pads. I tend to stay away from any brand that is readily available at the local autovalue, canadiantire etc shops.

DeleriousZ
08-08-2014, 09:55 AM
If you're going to DIY, rock auto has good parts for cheap cheap. I've also had success with select parts from autopartsway.ca.

BavarianBeast
08-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MR2-3S-GTE
My personal preference is autopartsway or rockauto. Can't go wrong with either one. You can usually find a promo code online for autopartsway. As for rotors and pad...Pilenga or Zimmerman or Brembo blanks and Akebono pads. I tend to stay away from any brand that is readily available at the local autovalue, canadiantire etc shops.

AKA POWER STOP brake kits?

Tik-Tok
08-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Wow. I'm sorry I asked. I guess there are no companies that sells parts better that OE. There also must not be anywhere I can get oem parts without the dealership markup.

There are places, but as said, a shop mechanic is unlikely to use your parts. You either have to find a backyard mechanic, or just tell your mechanic that you want mid-grade or premium brakes.

Yes there will be a markup, it's how a mechanic earns a living. If you don't like it, learn how to do your own work, then you can save on both parts and labour.

DeleriousZ
08-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
If you're going to DIY, rock auto has good parts for cheap cheap. I've also had success with select parts from URL REMOVED - I am a spammer!.

Yo wtf happened to my post?

ExtremeSi
08-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Kingsway Auto have usually the best prices that I've seen in the city. Otherwise I order from RockAuto.

MR2-3S-GTE
08-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

AKA POWER STOP brake kits?

I would stay away from drilled and slotted power stop brake kits. Get a set of daily driver rate BECK/ARNLEY rotors and akebono ceramic pads and call it a day. BECK/ARNLEY rotors would probably end up costing more than the power stop but their worth it.

In my experience, high performance pads has a little too much bite in stop and go traffic. So unless you track your car, don't bother.

mr2mike
08-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Powerstop seems decent quality for a regular non-drilled rotor. No issues when I used to run them on my summer car (Cryo treated Rotors). Can't speak for longevity or warpage but I never experienced that.

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Yeah auto mechanics don't usually like to install customer supplied parts. Has to do with their ability to provide a warranty on the parts and their ability to profit on markup.

Also has to do with the customer might have gotten the part # wrong and then mechanic is sitting there trying to fit a part that is actually the wrong part(s) then you check the part # and see it's wrong.

Or you require more than just new pads on a brake job, they find pins rusted or caliper is seized causing the rotor to wear heaily on backside. Then customer doesn't believe mechanic and wants them to just install the parts they bought for the job.

I've been there. Not fun because you're always at fault it seems when really you're trying to do the job properly.

G-ZUS
08-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
Kingsway Auto have usually the best prices that I've seen in the city. Otherwise I order from RockAuto.

I must be the only one with sh!tty experiences at that place. Always end up waiting ~15-20 mins to talk to someone when I call, 80% of the time they order in the wrong parts. Once my father bought brake pads from there, found the same ones on Aliexpress.com for $3 in China :rofl:

J.M.
08-08-2014, 11:11 AM

Have you ever found a promo code for autopartsway that actually works? Lol I've been searching the last couple days for one haven't found one so far. Looking to order Pilenga rotors from them paired with Akebono pads.

MR2-3S-GTE
08-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by J.M.

Have you ever found a promo code for autopartsway that actually works? Lol I've been searching the last couple days for one haven't found one so far. Looking to order Pilenga rotors from them paired with Akebono pads.

Email customer service for a promo code and mention the part numbers you currently have in checkout. I've done it a couple times and they've always offered 10%.

revelations
08-08-2014, 12:19 PM
See if Ravi on 32 minute muffler and brake will do the work - but just remember no warranty though ..... :dunno:

J.M.
08-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Email customer service for a promo code and mention the part numbers you currently have in checkout. I've done it a couple times and they've always offered 10%.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!