PDA

View Full Version : Best places to find EIT Positions?

Hero_X
08-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,

What is a good source to find EIT positions?

I've been looking around at jobs on the U of C Job board, Monster, Workopolis, and checking sites of the big names.

I'm not having too much luck finding EIT specific jobs.

I'm still at EIT level, with 3 yrs experience (incl. internship), so still not at a good level of experience to get the intermediate/senior level jobs.

Please share your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks for your help!

ExtraSlow
08-08-2014, 10:02 AM
It's a real grind until you are P.Eng AND five years expereince.
At three years, you honestly aren't much more attractive than a new grad.

Where did you get those 3 years of expereince? Can you work there?

Hero_X
08-08-2014, 10:29 AM
I got 2 yrs from an EpC and 15 months from internship.

I'm looking for a new job. I have a job but I'm not learning much and the work is shitty, and the pay is not as much as my other friends who graduated same time and started working same time as me.

I want to gain experience that will be of some value. Right now at the epc, at least the projects im working on, im not learning much or getting good work to do.

So I guess its not as bad as having no job but I would like to do better.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2014, 10:48 AM
It's good you have a job, that's the best place to get a new job from. My advice is to grind it out for another two years or so, get yoru P.Eng as soon as you can, and then start looking more seriously.

Disoblige
08-08-2014, 11:30 AM
2 years is a long time to grind, especially when you're doing bullshit work. I would advise to look for different company job postings while you are working and apply as you see fit. Job sites like indeed and wowjobs.ca are good, but also look at the actual company job posting site too.

dandia89
08-11-2014, 10:13 AM
a. have you talked to your boss/supervisor regarding the lack of challenging work?
b. don't be stressed about money, you're an engineer, money will be there (if its not there now)

R154
08-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Suncor is perpetually looking for field EIT's. Another place to look is with any number of EPCM's right now.

Stantec is hiring.

lasimmon
08-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Also, even if a job mentions they are looking for a P. Eng or 5 years experience, apply anyways. Assuming you have some applicable skills to what they are looking for you never know you could get a shot.

killramos
08-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Yea I agree apply for lots of positions. Apply for things you are uncomfortable with.

Best thing you can do is get another position in your company. Talk to you manager about branching off. If they are resistive you can try talking to another manager?

At year end review time don't be afraid to mention compensation differentials. (Come prepared with salary survey, if you are already above survey then stfu).

If you hate what you are doing enough to bring it up on beyond then do something. But don't burn bridges whole doing it. I would generally give your current employer a chance to step up. That way if you do leave they at least had a chance to keep you.

XylathaneGTR
08-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Hero_X
I have a job but I'm not learning much and the work is shitty, and the pay is not as much as my other friends who graduated same time and started working same time as me.
I want to gain experience that will be of some value. Right now at the epc, at least the projects im working on, im not learning much or getting good work to do.
So I guess its not as bad as having no job but I would like to do better.

Have you spoken to your manager or the engineer you're working under about your feelings? Solving the problem has to start with you man, no body at work is there to hold your hand and if you want to get more out of it, you need to show some intiative and speak up.

In general, I feel like it's a really shitty market for new-grads.

Hero_X
08-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks gents,

In regards to my own company, the problem is the company itself isn't doing so hot. So having work alone is looked at as something to be grateful for. Even if it's shitty work.

I applied to another company who is a fabricator /packager. I have an interview with them Friday. Let's see how it goes.

R154
08-12-2014, 07:44 AM
You're in Alberta heading into season shortly. EPCM's are hungry for people. Triump EPCM/Darsi Engineering. Lots of medium sized firms.