PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever get new tires installed in the US?

ee2k
08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm considering driving down to either somewhere in Montana or even Spokane Washington and getting a new set of tires on my car - road trip would be nice, so would anticipated savings. Anyone done this before? Any spots you recommend? Any spots that provide warranty or free fixes throughout North America? Anything I should be aware of?

turbotrip
08-08-2014, 11:39 AM
try not to get caught by border patrol if you dont intend on declaring it

ExtraSlow
08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
I know border patrol is pretty good at thier job, but honestly, how do they catch people with new tires?

Sugarphreak
08-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Tik-Tok
08-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I know border patrol is pretty good at thier job, but honestly, how do they catch people with new tires?

Like anything, it's easy to get by, but if youre caught, oh boy. (like a random pull over to check your car)

Honestly, I can't see much savings to be had unless you're already planning on going down for something else. I did a price comparison a few years ago when our dollar was near par, and it wasn't worth it back then.

Sugarphreak
08-08-2014, 02:22 PM

01RedDX
08-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Xtrema
08-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
However if you are road tripping down to Vegas, it is dirt cheap for new tires

If they stock the ones you want.

Otherwise, you may have to wait a couple days for the tires to get to the shop.

I thought other than shipping charges, you don't save much compare to local guys right?

killramos
08-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Had brand new tires put on the ford in Phoenix ( they were cracked from the heat etc). Even after spending a week driving it it to vegas then to calgary they picked up on it. Stuck his head out the window and saw the tires, knew right away. I was honest and told him they needed to be replaced for the trip up and i paid 800 bucks for them. he sent us on our way.

Probably helped that i came from Arizona and not Butte lol ( had passport stamps) ...

I wouldn't risk it to save a few bucks but if you are there for a longer trip anyhow give it a try?

idriveabox
08-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I just picked up a set of 18's in Spokane while vacationing down there over the weekend. I ordered them ahead of time and pricing was the same as tire rack. I didn't have them mounted (super cheap BTW $60). I figure I saved around $300 with exchange factored in. Declared them at the border since they were stacked in the element and no issues.

CanmoreOrLess
08-08-2014, 07:19 PM
I just bought four new tires (DD regular 15", $600 or so), doing research comparing USA and Calgary prices I could see maybe $80 savings overall. Instead I went with buying the tires from a local place, free rotations (was paying $40 previous), free turnover to the winters (again paying $40 twice a year). Add to it a warrantee and I could not see saving a dime.

On the side, if the tires are made in NA, the duty is minimal.

FraserB
08-08-2014, 07:45 PM
My last set of 5 that I brought back, I saved close to $700 after all the tax etc.

4DoorGTZ
08-08-2014, 08:41 PM
I've bought 2 sets of Michelin PS2's from Discount tire in Kalispell. Saved close to $150/tire but we're talking some meaty tires 285's and 315's.... Declared them both times and no biggie paid GST for their value.

Tarzan
08-09-2014, 05:02 AM
If you go into Washington (ie Spokane) tell them you are from Alberta and show them your drivers license then they wave the sales tax. This only works in Washington but we have save a lot of money on everything from clothes, tires to appliances it's why we camp in Couer Des Alene and shop in Spokane. Yes I declared the tires I bought and no issue but they were unmounted in box of truck.

oilerfan4lyfe
08-09-2014, 03:47 PM
I bought my set at Costco in the States. They were much cheaper and I still get all of the normal Costco services (flat repair, free rotations, etc.) regardless of which country I'm in. I had my car in the States for several months so I didn't even think of mentioning it when I crossed back into Canada but my exemption would have covered their cost regardless.

CTSV
08-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Last summer in Las Vegas, I bought four Michelin PSS for my CTSV. I had them ship the PS A/S that were on it back to Montana border. When I came to the border, I declared out entire total. ($850 per person by the way)
I declared something like $2200. He asked what for and I told him about tires. He sent us on our way. Later I had to come pick up lots of stuff at the border and brought my old tires back along with another set of Michelin PSS. He asked where they were made so I had to go look, they were made in States so only had GST to pay/

Sugarphreak
08-11-2014, 12:05 PM