PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Satellite TV

nj2Type-S
08-09-2014, 04:17 PM
hey guys,

i'm a current shaw customer. i have a tv, phone and internet bundle with them along with some extra movie channels. i am considering cancelling my cable tv services, and switch to their satellite tv services.

there does not seem to be a bundle that allows me to combine satellite tv, phone and internet. are there any of you who have shaw satellite tv servies? how do you like it

thanks!

Disoblige
08-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I love Shaw Satellite. I have it in one of the places I live in that supports it (no interference, etc). However Shaw Direct is on its own and won't be able to be packaged with phone and internet.

It's cheaper than Shaw Cable and I have the time zone pack added so I can watch shows earlier when I want to. I wish I could get it in downtown, but obviously that can't happen.

nj2Type-S
08-09-2014, 05:53 PM
yeah, it looks pretty sweet! i think the only reason why i haven't switched yet is because i can't bundle it with phone and internet. i'm not too sure if the extra cost is worth it. when did you get it? and how's the quality of the shows?

i've never had a satellite service so i'm not sure what to expect.

Darell_n
08-09-2014, 06:26 PM
I 'share' my bill with 4 other family residences so all HD channels cost me around $34/month.

nj2Type-S
08-09-2014, 08:33 PM
my main concern with switching to a satellite tv service is the quality of the picture and sound depending on weather. have any of you had problems with your tv reception in adverse weather?

mazdavirgin
08-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
my main concern with switching to a satellite tv service is the quality of the picture and sound depending on weather. have any of you had problems with your tv reception in adverse weather?

It's better than in the past but fundamentally satellite will always have issues with weather. There is no way of avoiding this issue. Landlines are always going to be superior when it comes to this side of the equation. Snow, high wind, rain, and overcast conditions can all lead to signal loss.

Recca168
08-10-2014, 12:36 AM

Weather isn't really a big issue. Only really will lose signal on days with very heavy rain or snow. Pretty much has to rain as hard as it did on Friday. Might be a couple days in the winter where you have to wipe snow off the dish as well so put it somewhere accessible.

CanmoreOrLess
08-10-2014, 09:17 AM
I have over the last few months spent plenty of seat time at a house with Bell satellite TV. The quality of the picture (same tv as my home unit) and speed of the channel changer have me wondering if going satty is the next move. Currently I am on TelusOptik, three months left in the contract. Comparing all the tv providers, is satellite really a better picture?

Spray the satellite dish with a good non stick cooking spray (Pam) in the fall and half way through the snow season and you're good for the winter. I did this in a region that had some of the highest snowfall in the world. I did push the snow off a few times as it dammed up near the lower lip. Might have lost a couple days due to heavy snow and rain in the air. It had to be sideways rain and snow falling so thick you could not walk in it with your eyes open, goggles needed.

Disoblige
08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
yeah, it looks pretty sweet! i think the only reason why i haven't switched yet is because i can't bundle it with phone and internet. i'm not too sure if the extra cost is worth it. when did you get it? and how's the quality of the shows?

i've never had a satellite service so i'm not sure what to expect.
The quality of the shows is the same for me with satellite as my signal is always in the green (85-90% signal). Shaw says anything between 80-90 is normal. I get more channels than Shaw Cable and I'm paying ~$25 less with more channels and time-zone advantage.

Weather wise, never had a disruption yet. I only had the service since May, so time will tell. Just make sure you have some shows PVR'd haha!

nj2Type-S
08-10-2014, 01:42 PM
after reading more into it, i'll make this switch to satellite! it really sucks that the services can't be bundled up!

GQNammer
08-10-2014, 09:31 PM
after reading more into it, i'll make this switch to satellite! it really sucks that the services can't be bundled up!

I work part time at Shaw Direct and I can tell you that you can still get some sort of bundled savings. We have a specialized team that handles customers that are in the same scenario, OP. You will get 2 separate bills though; One for Shaw Cable and one for Shaw Direct. I'm unsure what the exact dollar amount you will save, but just give the Shaw Direct call center a ring, go to the customer service inquiry, and when you speak to an agent request to speak to the "One Shaw Care Team" because you have internet and phone services with Shaw Cable.

The_Penguin
08-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
I 'share' my bill with 4 other family residences so all HD channels cost me around $34/month.

Better hope the Airdrie Snitch doesn't see this and rat you out. :)

stillworking
08-11-2014, 09:58 PM
I am a Contract Satellite installer, and have done about 5000 installations.
In addition to the value for money, satellite gives the advantage with overall programming and available HD channels. Because it is more of a niche product and not advertised heavily, many people do not consider it when shopping around for TV services and completely miss out.

Weather was a bigger issue in the past, but with the new satellites in orbit, signal loss rarely happens. Providers are also utilizing the latest technology at the satellite dish which also helps. As long as you receive a professional quality installation, interference from weather is negligible, and would be isolated to only the most extreme weather events.

I have installed for all the major providers, and they are all good options; however, BellTV as a service provider maintains a superior advantage in quality and service over its market competitors. BellTV is also the product I choose to recommend and install. If anyone is interested in learning about the current offers and bundling with your Bell Mobility account, let me know.

GenerationX
08-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah... Shaw Direct is okay but I can't deal with all the weather issues people call in about haha.

stillworking
08-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by GenerationX
Yeah... Shaw Direct is okay but I can't deal with all the weather issues people call in about haha.

Do you answer calls regarding weather from across the country? Is it worse in any particular area?

The biggest issue I see is with quality of install. For example, There are many satellite contractors that just don't seem to understand the benefits of securing the dish to the studs. If not installed on a secure location, after a few month the dish will be wobbling around in the wind and the signal is no longer optimum. Then add some heavy rain or snow into the mix and you lose can easily lose signal.

The Shaw dish is also heavier/larger than some of the others and does not have a non stick surface.

SOAB
08-14-2014, 08:59 AM
I had Bell satellite TV for about 5 years and only had it go down once due to weather. I wouldn't hesitate to use satellite again if there was a good deal going on.

GenerationX
08-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by stillworking

Do you answer calls regarding weather from across the country? Is it worse in any particular area?

The biggest issue I see is with quality of install. For example, There are many satellite contractors that just don't seem to understand the benefits of securing the dish to the studs. If not installed on a secure location, after a few month the dish will be wobbling around in the wind and the signal is no longer optimum. Then add some heavy rain or snow into the mix and you lose can easily lose signal.

The Shaw dish is also heavier/larger than some of the others and does not have a non stick surface.
It's all across Canada. More frequently in the East, but generally pretty rare for Calgary to be affected.