PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie when asked?

16hypen3sp
08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Lots of sport riders on this forum so the question fits the demographic.

I was out today for a ride. I was stopped at a red light when I hear some sleazy sounding voice say "hey, do a wheelie."

I slowly turned my head towards him. He says "I'll film it. You'll be on youtube."

I shook my head no.

Then he says "Do it or are you just dressed up for show."

Now I'm just irritated and I wanted to tell him - "no man. I'm dressed up for people like you that don't see me and turn left in front of me... so I can be in one piece for my family to bury me."

Light turned green and I got the hell away from him. I haven't had someone ask me to wheelie in a long time. I used to just laugh but now I just get pissed off about it.

Its such a stupid thing to ask someone. Anyone else think so? Do you guys oblige and put her up on one wheel or just ignore it?

Graham_A_M
08-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Ive been asked lots, but never did. Lol once they were doing bridal pics, and wanted a pic with me in the back doing a wheelie as I was riding past them.... but if I binned it, that could have ended REALLY badly so no. Would have made an awesome pic, but not worth the potential catastrophe.

It never irritated me at all, most younger people thing its "cool as shit" Most older people think, "wow that guys a fucking retard" :rolleyes:

So I never cared either way.

MR2-3SGTE
08-10-2014, 05:06 PM
I guess if it gets asked a lot, it can be annoying...but maybe he just likes the bike and is trying to stir up a convo....no need to take it so seriously. But no, I wouldn't do it.

16hypen3sp
08-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
I guess if it gets asked a lot, it can be annoying...but maybe he just likes the bike and is trying to stir up a convo....no need to take it so seriously. But no, I wouldn't do it.

Perhaps it was his sleazy voice that was pissing me off so much.

Masked Bandit
08-10-2014, 05:16 PM
There's a time and a place for everything. On demand by some yutz in a cage, is neither.

Modelexis
08-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Perhaps it was his sleazy voice that was pissing me off so much.

Not sure if you've ever read any malcolm gladwell but it sounds like you had a 'blink' moment.

codetrap
08-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Hell no. I'm not endangering my life or messing with my equipment just to please some total unknown..

Unknown303
08-10-2014, 06:05 PM
I wheelie my mountain bike all the time.

16hypen3sp
08-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Not sure if you've ever read any malcolm gladwell but it sounds like you had a 'blink' moment.

Never heard but sounds interesting.

Originally posted by codetrap
Hell no. I'm not endangering my life or messing with my equipment just to please some total unknown..

No doubt. It may look cool to them, but deep down inside, they are praying you go over.

I'd never forgive myself for crashing my bike doing something stupid like that.

Zetsu
08-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Happened to me just yesterday. I was pulling up to a friends house and some guy I kind of know was there with his kids acting all tough asking me why I wasn't wheelieing my bike. I said well for one we're in a school zone right now. Then cracks some stupid joke about how when he rode bikes he would always be 'poppin the wheel'. Sounds like he was a squid back in his day lol...

I agree with you though that question irritates me so much, even in a joking manor don't know why it just does.

mr2mike
08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Because there's no cost to them. Just the cost of asking.

You do it, they are impressed for 10 seconds.
You lose it, they're entertained for 10 seconds.
You get a ticket, they're entertained for 10 seconds.

Meanwhile, you're out the cost of the repairs, cost of the ticket, insurance increases, broken arm, leg, etc.

civic_stylez
08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
I had some hillbilly in a truck hang out the passenger window and do the "bar pull up" gesture to me on 22X the other day.. never really understood peoples need to see a wheelie. Just shook my head at him and kept on riding.

avishal26
08-11-2014, 09:30 AM
^ Yup thats what I did back in the day - just shake my head and keep on rolling (on 2 wheels) :burnout:

For me it was almost always hillbilly's askin lol or some dooosch in a muscle car

Dave P
08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Sounds to me like OP cant wheelie hahaha

japan_us
08-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Stuff like this is one of the only reasons I'm glad my bike is so damn loud (stock!).

I've had people try to talk to me out of their windows, and I legitimately can't hear them. I point to my ear and shake my head, indicating that I have no idea what they're saying. Maybe I've been asked to wheelie...I dunno! :D

Rocket1k78
08-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Dave P

lol

shakalaka
08-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Never had it happen to me but I would just say I don't know how...which is the truth. :dunno:

E46..sTyLez
08-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Is it really that big of a deal? Nobody has a gun to your head...if you're not comfortable with it, or just don't want to, then don't. Simply Ignore them.

16hypen3sp
08-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Dave P

Hahaha. Thats a good one. I've been known to dabble with a wheelie now and then back in the day. Never crashed but I did stop once I started spending huge amounts of $$$ on bikes. I'm not wrecking one just for someone's personal entertainment.

jacky4566
08-11-2014, 11:36 AM
You need some Aprilia Wheelie control.
Perfect wheelie every time.
Has tilt sensor so you can control how much rotation you get without biffing it.

Haha fun aside the public shouldn't be encouraging this on public roads. Bikers get a bad enough rep.

Disoblige
08-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Do you guys oblige and put her up on one wheel or just ignore it?
No I disoblige.

That's all I got for this thread.

Graham_A_M
08-11-2014, 01:56 PM
^ Well played good sir, well played

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/034/709/win5.jpg

ddduke
08-12-2014, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by japan_us
Stuff like this is one of the only reasons I'm glad my bike is so damn loud (stock!).

I've had people try to talk to me out of their windows, and I legitimately can't hear them. I point to my ear and shake my head, indicating that I have no idea what they're saying. Maybe I've been asked to wheelie...I dunno! :D

:werd:

I also rarely ride without music on so I can't hear shit anyways.

People ask to see burnouts in cars and shit all the time, not a big deal and wouldn't have thought twice about it.

civic_stylez
08-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

:werd:

I also rarely ride without music on so I can't hear shit anyways.

People ask to see burnouts in cars and shit all the time, not a big deal and wouldn't have thought twice about it.

I usually have the tunes going too. I had a guy ask for a burnout last night as well... never been asked for that before. Buddy was a burnout himself so i figured that wasting my new Dunlops on him wasnt worth it... if it had been a bunch of jailbait id have to think about it.

Tik-Tok
08-12-2014, 09:26 AM

I slowly turned my head towards him. He says "I'll film it. You'll be on youtube."

Rob Yost, trying to find another victim...

japan_us
08-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

... if it had been a bunch of jailbait id have to think about it.

Many years ago, I was rolling through downtown on my way home. It was right around high-school grad time, and I was cruising beside a limo that had its windows down. There were some chicks inside, and I thought it would be cool to bust out a wheelie, so I did a small clutch-up. They must've liked it because a couple of them responded by flashing me. :)

It felt awesome for all of two minutes, and then I started to think about how dumb it was to do that, considering the environment. As someone else mentioned, there's a time and place for things, and I'm happy to say that I'm much better at picking my moments.

Not saying that if the same opportunity presented itself that I wouldn't be tempted. :D

darthVWader
08-12-2014, 12:31 PM
What would Snowcat do?

16hypen3sp
08-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Rob Yost, trying to find another victim...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is a good one.

nixon45
08-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by darthVWader
What would Snowcat do?

Probably spend the next 7 minutes of his video complaining about what a fucking idiot the guy that asked him to do a wheelie was.

rx7boi
08-12-2014, 03:27 PM
http://d3dsacqprgcsqh.cloudfront.net/photo/aAVYeN2_460s_v2.jpg

GotRice?
08-12-2014, 03:39 PM
happened to me a few times but I always have music in so I just assumed they wanted me to rev my engine... just dawned on me that they probably wanted to see a wheelie... lol.

bjstare
08-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I used to do this back in the day when I was like 18-19. Along with the odd rolling burnout/lane split/etc. Once I grew up though I realized how stupid it was to ride like that with traffic around.

In all honesty though, wheelies are cool (albeit stupid when there's other cars around), and I'm surprised at the amount of riders hating on people that ask them to wheelie. Have you never seen someone wheelie? It's fun to watch haha, how can you blame someone for asking? If you're the rider that's dumb enough to do it when you shouldn't be, that's on you.

16hypen3sp
08-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I used to do this back in the day when I was like 18-19. Along with the odd rolling burnout/lane split/etc. Once I grew up though I realized how stupid it was to ride like that with traffic around.

In all honesty though, wheelies are cool (albeit stupid when there's other cars around), and I'm surprised at the amount of riders hating on people that ask them to wheelie. Have you never seen someone wheelie? It's fun to watch haha, how can you blame someone for asking? If you're the rider that's dumb enough to do it when you shouldn't be, that's on you.

I agree cj, I do... but I just think that its a dumb thing to ask when your in an environment like that. I was surrounded by 10 cars/trucks/semis. If we were on a secondary highway and it was just me and him, then it would be a different story.

civic_stylez
08-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Wheelies will always be the cool thing with bikes. Hell, almost every MotoGP rider pops the big wheelie to cross the line. Theres no doubt its cool. For me, im just not prepared to sacrifice my life/bike/licence to satisfy for complete strangers request to see a wheelie. I guess its because im 30. When i was in my 20s and was that dbag ripping down deerfoot in a t-shirt and skate shoes, i would have been the first one to show off. Now i wear my gear every single time i ride and avoid riding with idiots.

Rossi is still the wheelie champ..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/215348/images/rossi-wheelie.jpg

OhSoInsane
08-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by darthVWader
What would Snowcat do?

Swear at him and then bitch about him for the rest of the video. And I'd probably enjoy watching every minute of it. :D