PDA

View Full Version : Need a winter beater, what's out there for cheap 4x4 or AWD?

spikerS
08-10-2014, 10:17 PM
So Took my promotion at work, and that means I am now going to have to work down town.

I think I am going to have to suck it up and take the bus most days, but in the winter, I think I may also want the option of taking a small beater down as there is parking available to me.

Now, I want something pretty decent in the snow and ice, and would love something with a AWD or 4x4 setup, but the only thing coming to mind is a farking subby, and I am wondering what else is out there.

Budget around $2500 and I want it to be good on gas.

help me brainstorm some ideas for me to go research.

roopi
08-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Why wouldn't you drive your truck downtown?

Sugarphreak
08-10-2014, 10:27 PM

spikerS
08-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Why wouldn't you drive your truck downtown?

I am sure some days I will, but I am going to be leaving it behind for Baygirl most days, and put all the wear and tear of stop and go on to a beater instead of the truck.

I just need something small to get to work and back with.

Canucks3322
08-10-2014, 10:50 PM
I would say Crv or Rav4 late 90s and early 2000s..

xnvy
08-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Any N/A Subaru owned by old people. A tell-tale sign that you've found the perfect owner is old-people gunk. Keep an eye out and good luck on the hunt spikerS! :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
08-11-2014, 12:03 AM
That Buick looks good, Its an easy fix and good to go for long term reliability.

Sugarphreak
08-11-2014, 06:52 AM

botox
08-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
I would say Crv or Rav4 late 90s and early 2000s..
This is my choice. I had a manual 99 CRV with winter tires and it was pretty fun to drive in winter and decent on gas. You should be able to get some older ones in that price range. I sold my 99 last year for $3000.

Kloubek
08-11-2014, 07:39 AM
If you can stand the look of the Buicks, I'd agree they would be excellent value. I'd suggest Jeep as well - even a WJ is in that price range - but they aren't good on gas so they might be out. And due to the gas requirement, I imagine something like a CRV or RAV-4 would be your better bets.

n1zm0
08-11-2014, 07:50 AM
I agree with the N/A Subarus:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/98-suabru-reliable-car/1003699165?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/great-all-around-vehicle/1010393369?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1996-subaru-legacy-outback/1009761447?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2002-subaru-legacy-outback-awp-209000k/1005974033?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Tik-Tok
08-11-2014, 07:55 AM
IMO you don't need the AWD for getting downtown. You'll open up a whole lot more choices if you just forget about that option. (and you'll find something that actually does get good mileage, because no Subie in the world will do that for you)

DeleriousZ
08-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
I agree with the N/A Subarus:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/98-suabru-reliable-car/1003699165?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Suabru... :nut:

A790
08-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Tracker? hehe

Shlade
08-11-2014, 08:46 AM
You only need awd or 4x4 if you're a pussy.

Get a Volvo. Never have to worry about safety, reliability is always there and you'll never get stuck anywhere with good winter tires. Even if it's rwd.

mr2mike
08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Not knowing where you live but in rush hour in winter, get something with the smallest motor possible. Some days you won't get past 60km/h in traffic.

spikerS
08-11-2014, 09:15 AM
I know 99% of the time I would not need 4x4 or AWD in the winter, but there have been times where a drift on the road got me stuck, or I had to bail into the ditch or a bank because of someone else being an idiot that if I don't have to wait for a tow, I would rather not.

Those Subbie wagons are really tempting, I have always liked em.

The CRV or Rav4 are interesting ideas.

Cam, trackers are freaking expensive now, off road enthusiasts are snapping them up as poor man's jeeps to build up and head off road, so they are usually commanding a premium now.

The buick is a good idea, but I can't think that would be good on gas at all going from DT to Coventry and back.

That Volvo wagon is pretty interesting too. gonna have to research that one more.

A790
08-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
Cam, trackers are freaking expensive now, off road enthusiasts are snapping them up as poor man's jeeps to build up and head off road, so they are usually commanding a premium now.
Seriously? Damn, things have changed.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-11-2014, 10:01 AM
I had a $1200 Pathfinder I got from a Beyonder. It was great and didn't need anything really.

revelations
08-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
You only need awd or 4x4 if you're a pussy.

Get a Volvo. Never have to worry about safety, reliability is always there and you'll never get stuck anywhere with good winter tires. Even if it's rwd.

I would agree with OP tbh ... if I had to buy a winter specific beater for AB, it would likely be 4x4 or AWD.

carson blocks
08-11-2014, 10:17 AM
I've got a '95 4runner with a 4cyl and 5 spd. If you can find something like that, they're ok on gas, dead reliable, and great in the winter. Mine just got hailed to shit unfortunately.

mr2mike
08-11-2014, 10:40 AM
https://rorypeppercorn.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/1985-amc-eagle-02-03.jpg :thumbsup:

clem24
08-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I know 99% of the time I would not need 4x4 or AWD in the winter, but there have been times where a drift on the road got me stuck, or I had to bail into the ditch or a bank because of someone else being an idiot that if I don't have to wait for a tow, I would rather not.

Driver problem? I think you might be the idiot if you have to ditch, not the other way around. My wife used to have an Astro with A/S tires and now an Odyssey since 2000, and she's never gotten stuck before. In all my years of driving, I've never had to bail into a ditch or bank. You tailgating people or driving really aggressively all the time? It's been mentioned before - AWD is complete overkill, especially for daily commuter into downtown.

Also, getting something with AWD for $2,500 is just ASKING for trouble. Buy a reliable FWD with studded winters, and you'll be golden.

Canucks3322
08-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I had a $1200 Pathfinder I got from a Beyonder. It was great and didn't need anything really.

You got rid of it already? Haha. ...ya it was great but pretty bad on gas in the winter...

I found that most of last winter I was fine in my Mazda 3 but there were more than a few days commuting to downtown that I would've been stuck in the unplowed slow without the Pathfinder as an option...

Spikers.. do you get free parking if not depending where you are you can park for free in bridge land and walk in. .

HiTempguy1
08-11-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm the first to advocate studded winter tires and fwd, but having driven plenty of different cars in my life, awd is "easy button".

Why WOULDN'T you want it? And beyond that, there are absolutely times in Alberta where awd/4wd is necessary, just ask all the doofuses that got stuck last (what was it, november/december) in Calgary with the ice.

A Subaru is the way to go though.

Shlade
08-11-2014, 12:41 PM
I've gone down some horrible uncleared roads this past winter in my 89 4 door volvo 240 and not once have I ever gotten stuck... The back end never kicked out on me either unless I felt like screwing around and drifting it a little...

$1000, 2.3 redblock Volvo motor as in the king of reliability.. Blew super hot air for winter and started up in -40 without being plugged in at all... Had 220k when I bought it and I sold it with 234k the owner is still
Booting around with it this summer no problems. Buddy of mine has 400k on his 91 740 Volvo same exact motor.

If I need to get another winter beater down the line a Volvo is seriously the only thing I'd get. For $1000-2000 you can have yourself a super fun worry free winter. And besides... If somebody ever hit you they'd likely have a written off car and you'd laugh and drive off with merely a scratch or dent at most lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

You got rid of it already? Haha. ...ya it was great but pretty bad on gas in the winter...

I found that most of last winter I was fine in my Mazda 3 but there were more than a few days commuting to downtown that I would've been stuck in the unplowed slow without the Pathfinder as an option...

Spikers.. do you get free parking if not depending where you are you can park for free in bridge land and walk in. .

Sold it to a friend in need. Wish I'd kept it as I need another winter vehicle now lol.

Tik-Tok
08-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Why WOULDN'T you want it? And beyond that, there are absolutely times in Alberta where awd/4wd is necessary, just ask all the doofuses that got stuck last (what was it, november/december) in Calgary with the ice.

A Subaru is the way to go though.

Because he wants good fuel economy, that doesn't exist in a $2500 Subaru (or any AWD vehicle)

So the choice for him is either fuel savings, or "safety" factor.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Less than $2500, AWD, and good on gas?

http://i.imgur.com/e314ROD.jpg

Aww yeah.

Neil4Speed
08-11-2014, 01:08 PM
You can get some Lexus RX's at that price point (first year, with high mileage)

XylathaneGTR
08-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I winter drove a Subaru Legacy GT (non-turbo) for several years.
Reliable enough, decent-ish on gas, and never once got stuck or standed in the winter, even with the shittiest all-seasons. Heated cloth seats are badass, too.

Oh yeah...I might be selling mine soon, too...191xxx km, 4AT.

MrSector9
08-11-2014, 01:36 PM
My vote is for a jeep zj as well, pick n [pull is full of them, can buy them cheap and they are still fun and can haul a decent amount of stuff.

Fuel economy isn't that terrible but having something higher up then a car, with 4x4 and winter tires make the winter here kinda fun as you can usually just go around alot of things or people that are stuck,

zieg
08-11-2014, 01:49 PM
While I do agree that you don't NEED awd here (I drove an 86 trans am for years no problem), it sure is fun. I never break traction unless I'm trying to. :)

clem24
08-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Aww yeah.

Yeah good luck finding one that isn't rusted to absolute shit. That's why many people are bringing JDMs over.

For Toyota reliability, get this: AWD *AND* Supercharged...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/93-toyota-previa-all-trac-2-4-sc/1009397529

:rofl:

I think people actually look for S/Cs with manual gearboxes to go drifting:

plEouG42SmA

HiTempguy1
08-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Because he wants good fuel economy, that doesn't exist in a $2500 Subaru (or any AWD vehicle)

Subaru's get fine gas mileage and are reliable for $2500 :dunno: He said beater, its going to have rust on it.

I've gone down some horrible uncleared roads this past winter in my 89 4 door volvo 240 and not once have I ever gotten stuck... The back end never kicked out on me either unless I felt like screwing around and drifting it a little... $1000, 2.3 redblock Volvo motor as in the king of reliability.. Blew super hot air for winter and started up in -40 without being plugged in at all... Had 220k when I bought it and I sold it with 234k the owner is still Booting around with it this summer no problems. Buddy of mine has 400k on his 91 740 Volvo same exact motor.

I call bullshit. I owned a 1981 Volvo 242 manual with studded winter tires. That thing SUCKED in snow.

I'm not going to call anyone out on how much they drive or the conditions they drive in... but I've averaged well over 30,000kms a year since I was 16. And I race in this stuff (winter conditions).

A fwd car will work fine. But I'd rather have an awd car. I've owned and driven both extensively for years. On top of that, for the price range he is asking about, a $2500 Subaru will have a LOT more options than a $2500 econobox fwd car.

Going from a truck that gets 15usmpg in the city to a Subaru that gets ~22-25usmpg in the city is a much bigger difference then going from said Subaru to a civic that gets 35usmpg in the city.

Edit-
And the Toyota Tercel is actually 4wd...

You could get a justy :rofl:

I would NOT get an Audi, those are garbage in that price range for a A4. I also wouldn't get anything 4wd, as its not the same as awd.

Darkane
08-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Cr-V would be my bet. Get a '99+, had the better B20 engine.

Tik-Tok
08-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Going from a truck that gets 15usmpg in the city to a Subaru that gets ~22-25usmpg in the city is a much bigger difference then going from said Subaru to a civic that gets 35usmpg in the city.

He isn't going to get 22 us mpg in the city for a 15 year old NA Subaru. In stop and go traffic, he'll be lucky to get 20.

I think I got 23 mpg doing 70% non-rush hour Deerfoot driving in my '98 Impreza OBS.

I won't argue that it's a good winter beater choice, reliable, and easy to fix when broken, but he can't have GOOD fuel economy, AND awd.

msommers
08-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Car2Go? Pretty sure they put winter tires on them when the time comes.

Shlade
08-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Subaru's get fine gas mileage and are reliable for $2500 :dunno: He said beater, its going to have rust on it.

I call bullshit. I owned a 1981 Volvo 242 manual with studded winter tires. That thing SUCKED in snow.

I'm not going to call anyone out on how much they drive or the conditions they drive in... but I've averaged well over 30,000kms a year since I was 16. And I race in this stuff (winter conditions).

A fwd car will work fine. But I'd rather have an awd car. I've owned and driven both extensively for years. On top of that, for the price range he is asking about, a $2500 Subaru will have a LOT more options than a $2500 econobox fwd car.

Edit-

I would NOT get an Audi, those are garbage in that price range for a A4. I also wouldn't get anything 4wd, as its not the same as awd.

Call bullshit all you'd like that's the best car I've had for winter with a set of $500 winter tires I had zero issues getting anywhere with it. Not once did I get stuck or spin out anywhere.

FraserB
08-11-2014, 03:24 PM
1996+ ZJ with good tires.

bulaian
08-11-2014, 03:32 PM

Check out Suzuki Sidekicks, Vitaras/Grand Vitaras and Pontiac Sunrunners. Same vehicle but should be able to be found much cheaper than Trackers.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Yeah good luck finding one that isn't rusted to absolute shit. That's why many people are bringing JDMs over.

It's true, I was half-kidding - they're neat vehicles but good luck finding 1) a non-rusty shell and 2) parts for that drivetrain. The last one I saw was in the junkyard and I ended up pulling a bunch of parts from it for a guy in the Honduras.

djmr2
08-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Also, getting something with AWD for $2,500 is just ASKING for trouble. Buy a reliable FWD with studded winters, and you'll be golden.

AGREED!

Oh there just happens to be something like that in the classifieds!

r3ccOs
08-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Edit-

I loved my 240DL wagon and my 740 turbo brick wagon, but not in the winter.

I don't care if you run studs. Its a front heavy open Dana 25 axel with no traction aids whatso ever RWD vehicle.

a used low km JDM subie (if you can find a non-turbo) would probably be ideal if you NEED a AWD

However when it comes down to FWD... not all cars are made the same. People may spew retoric till they are blue in the face that any Jap FWD ecobox is good in Winter. However if it doen't have traction control, I call BS. They are just too light, no matter how skinny the tires you run.

first all, I think a hatch has the best weight distribution for FWD

If you compare a early 2000 Corolla vs a VW MK4 Golf with the same winter tires (no TC/VDC), you'll find the VW infantly superior in traction due to both its heavy weight & its weight distribution.

SKR
08-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Here you go. Cheap, 4x4 and a 454. Gas mileage is for queers.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/medicine-hat/reduced-again-2500/1010593006?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDU5OA==/z/KXcAAOSwxCxT6OHU/$_20.JPG

revelations
08-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Here you go. Cheap, 4x4 and a 454. Gas mileage is for queers.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/medicine-hat/reduced-again-2500/1010593006?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDU5OA==/z/KXcAAOSwxCxT6OHU/$_20.JPG

Am I correct in assuming you have never driven a high centre of gravity vehicle; complete with mud tires, in -20c and snow?

carson blocks
08-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Cheap, 4x4 and a 454. Gas mileage is for queers.

Excellent point.

Originally posted by revelations

Am I correct in assuming you have never driven a high centre of gravity vehicle; complete with mud tires, in -20c and snow?

I believe the word you're searching for is 'Awesome'. Sure, it might fall over occasionally, but that's what winches are for.

AndyL
08-11-2014, 06:36 PM
I vote for the ML320 - get one up there on KM's; they go at auction for sweet frig all (literally can get them under 2500$). Even on kijiji there's a dozen under 3000$.

Same drivetrain as the dodge 300 awd 3.2L of goodness. Bit pricey on the parts, but rockauto is good for 99% at cheap like borscht, and get raped and pillaged by the dealer for those other 1% (so get one with both keys and all electric windows functional).

ddduke
08-11-2014, 07:06 PM
So many people are gonna talk shit about this suggestion but I think you should get a smart car. You can get a used one for sub $4000 with super low km, they won't depreciate much lower then that, so you won't lose shit.

We're moving to Van but my old lady and I are both based out of Calgary so we got her a 2011 (or 2012, can't remember) to leave here so she doesn't have to use a rental when she's in town. It's probably the gayest car I've ever owned but it get amazing mileage, you can park it absolutely anywhere (I've gotten it into the tightest spots) and it's great in winter with studded snow tires.

I'd never own one as my primary vehicle but for my use (or yours) I think they're fucking great, especially when it comes to dt parking.

spikerS
08-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
So many people are gonna talk shit about this suggestion but I think you should get a smart car. You can get a used one for sub $4000 with super low km, they won't depreciate much lower then that, so you won't lose shit.

We're moving to Van but my old lady and I are both based out of Calgary so we got her a 2011 (or 2012, can't remember) to leave here so she doesn't have to use a rental when she's in town. It's probably the gayest car I've ever owned but it get amazing mileage, you can park it absolutely anywhere (I've gotten it into the tightest spots) and it's great in winter with studded snow tires.

I'd never own one as my primary vehicle but for my use (or yours) I think they're fucking great, especially when it comes to dt parking.

I would agree, wont find much better than a smart car for gas mileage, but I tried to get into a car2go once, and I felt like trying to get a square peg into a round hole. I am just too big for them.

I have a parking spot DT already, paid for by the company so I am not so worried there, and it is big enough for the truck, I just don't want to put stop and go wear and tear on it.

I am hoping for something cheap on gas and still AWD to offset the cost of insuring another vehicle. If I can't do AWD, I can always call Baygirl to bring the truck if I do get stuck.

and for whoever called my driving skills shit because I had to ditch a car? well, it sure is a way better Idea then having a head on collision with a minivan passing a semi at the top of Cochrane hill after a snowstorm and there is barely enough room for 2 way traffic between the snow drifts and the van can't get back behind the semi.

Yeah, if I was a better driver, I would have smacked the van head on at 75kph...:rolleyes:

Sugarphreak
08-11-2014, 09:15 PM

corsvette
08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
I know someone with a high k (close to 300,000) 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD they will be selling within the next week or two, great vehicle, really well looked after. He wanted to ask $2500....I could get it cheaper! This is spot on perfect winter ride IMO!

EDIT- These are the same as a Toyota Matrix

My Wife pointed out their daughter is also selling her 2004 Pontiac Aztec AWD!!! But I might buy that... Holy shit, it's a freaking AWD yellow Aztec...enough said!!!

codetrap
08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Why bother with an AWD or 4x4? I have yet to get the Mazda stuck with winters on them, and for the times when it's possible, you'll be driving the truck anyways. Those little suckers are surprisingly good on the snow and ice. I'd honestly stick to something along those lines. You'll save on not buying AWD and can put that cash towards a nicer vehicle and mandatory winter tires for Baygirl.

Besides.. face it. You're not going to be driving it. She will. :D You're going to be riding the bus with me, or carpooling with me. :D

baygirl
08-11-2014, 09:36 PM
So many people are gonna talk shit about this suggestion but I think you should get a smart car.

Spikers doesn't really fit in smart cars...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/387912_463772263661334_722723596_n.jpg

ddduke
08-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

GkFTO1qpBoE

Most of the review is true but for certain people it makes sense, for spikers I think it would be an ideal vehicle, he wants something to drive to work and back that's good in winter and economical. For me it's something that sits idle in Calgary 300 days a year and is an alternative to public transit and constant rentals.

I'm also not a pretentious tea drinking dick and my daily drivers are Harleys and a Megacab Cummins. This little fucker just makes sense to me for my particular situation.

Sugarphreak
08-11-2014, 09:38 PM

codetrap
08-11-2014, 09:38 PM
dduke, cramming spikers into a smartcar is like trying to cram a basketball into a beer mug, it may be possible, but it's sure gonna be funny to watch..

spikers, no offence buddy, but you're too damn tall and wide for a smart car. Hell, I find them snug..

ddduke
08-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
haha, so many parts of that review are stuck in my head

It is so true though, the thing is a rolling political statement you have to defend non-stop

Yeah, so fucking true, especially people asking questions about crashing and whether it can do highway speeds. For some reason everyone seems to also think they only cost like 5k.

Originally posted by codetrap
dduke, cramming spikers into a smartcar is like trying to cram a basketball into a beer mug, it may be possible, but it's sure gonna be funny to watch..

spikers, no offence buddy, but you're too damn tall and wide for a smart car. Hell, I find them snug..

Maybe that's a sign spikers :poosie: ;)

I'm 6ft and 210lbs and I fit fine, with room to spare. I have met spikers though, he is a fair bit bigger then me.

relyt92
08-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Yeah, so fucking true, especially people asking questions about crashing and whether it can do highway speeds. For some reason everyone seems to also think they only cost like 5k.

That's actually not too far off from where an older one sits now.

ddduke
08-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
That's actually not too far off from where an older one sits now.

I know, but I mean people think they cost 5k new.

SKR
08-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by revelations

No I wouldn't say you're correct. I've posted pictures of my truck here before. Anyway, I wasn't completely serious. I would drive that but that's because I'm a retard. I wouldn't recommend that as a serious option to anyone with some sense.

16hypen3sp
08-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Hey Spikers! Congrats on the promotion!

Forget about an SUV or AWD. I know what you need... a 2005 Dodge Neon (SX 2.0). Great vehicle. I bought mine years ago and have broke trail plenty of times down snow covered rural highways at 430 in the morning. I have never been stuck and it always starts. I actually pulled a Ford out of a snow bank with it about 2 winters ago.

I've heard that Crown Victorias make good winter cars as well. Ex cop cars are pretty cheap.

n1zm0
08-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Aww yeah.

This is the car I learnt how to drive on, they are absolute tanks, but ugly as sin :rofl:

It's actually a manual engagement 4wd though, but it sure taught me alot in terms of winter driving.

Sugarphreak
08-12-2014, 07:15 AM

clem24
08-12-2014, 09:03 AM
A SMRT Car LOL.. Those stupid semi-auto gearboxes - I swear they were programmed by a bunch of grannies. Feels like the car rides the clutch like crazy during the starts and the 1-2 shift. It's a bit more tolerable if I toss it into manual mode but that tranny drives me insane and would never buy one based on that alone.

What's interesting though now that I think about it is the amount of AWD/4x4 cars that Toyota had in their arsenal in the late 80s and early 90s:

- 2 generations of that 4x4 Tercel/Corolla (I think first gen was 4x4 Tercel and then 2nd gen became the 4x4 Corolla)
- AWD 2nd gen Camry
- All-Trac ST165 and ST185 Celica
- AWD E90 series Corolla Sedan
- 4x4 SUVs: 4Runner, Diesel Land Cruiser
- 4x4/AWD LeVan and Previa

Possibly more that I am missing?

Disoblige
08-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

I've heard that Crown Victorias make good winter cars as well. Ex cop cars are pretty cheap.
Yeahhh!!
Saw an 09 interceptor with 106k going for 5k in great condition. I seen a lot of 05's for ~$3000 or less. It's not AWD but my neighbor at my old place drove one all year and loved it.

spikerS
08-12-2014, 09:15 AM
http://www.dudelol.com/img/if-you-drive-one-of-these-and-are-not-a-cop.jpeg

Konj
08-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Buy my buick rendezvous. 2002 AWD 143k asking $4,000

Sugarphreak
08-12-2014, 09:34 AM

jwslam
08-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Konj
This one??? I'm assuming you did all the cosmetics?
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/fs-2002-black-buick-rendezvous-cxl/showthread.php?s=&threadid=382155

FraserB
08-12-2014, 09:51 AM

So you're asking $2,099 as per your ad, then tell Spikers to buy it for $4k?

mr2mike
08-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Nice. Probably retro fit a nice Pick n Pull truck bumper on there and make it the ultimate winter "don't effing cut me off" machine.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Your asking about $3k to much lol

Skidro
08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
You could get a decent x-trail for around 4/5k, decent fuel economy, 5 speed manual with awd.
edit: its a little over budget but well worth it

mr2mike
08-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Quit delaying the inevitable and just get the '95 Dodge Caravan.

jwslam
08-31-2014, 04:44 PM
BUMP

spikerS did you find something?
I'm looking for something similar.

Looking for wagon/hatch/SUV so I can move stuff better than in my coupe which currently is a snowplow; budgetting ~4-5K (inclusive of the winters I'll need to buy unless they come with)

spikerS
08-31-2014, 07:29 PM
nothing yet.

I think I am going to try and find an X90. I think that one of those is about perfect for what I need it for.

corsvette
08-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Is that x90 as in Volvo XC90?

spikerS
08-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Is that x90 as in Volvo XC90?

Not quite, it is a Suzuki variant.

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/SUZUKIX90-2191_2.jpg

A790
08-31-2014, 08:04 PM

Not quite, it is a Suzuki variant.

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/SUZUKIX90-2191_2.jpg
HA.

Every time I see one of those I think "man that's a cool car. Don't know if I'd ever own it though..."

spikerS
08-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by A790

HA.

Every time I see one of those I think "man that's a cool car. Don't know if I'd ever own it though..."

Thats what I think too. Just seems they are pretty hard to find.

jwslam
09-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Thats what I think too. Just seems they are pretty hard to find.
Close enough?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/2000-suzuki-vitara-two-doors-soft-top/1013244969?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true