View Full Version : Robin Williams - RIP

403Gemini
08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-commits-suicide/

Jesus christ :(

RIP

rx7boi
08-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Damn...I just posted thread 1 minute ago haha.

That's crazy...

D'z Nutz
08-11-2014, 05:12 PM
What? No! :(

killramos
08-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Will be missed if true :(

JRSC00LUDE
08-11-2014, 05:16 PM
I can't think of a time I found him to be "funny" but it's an unfortunate situation, especially to end up going out that way. Poor guy.

jampack
08-11-2014, 05:17 PM
I just replied to the other thread.. :(

Very sad news. It's on CNN's top page. From E! News, someone is suspecting suicide as he apparently has been suffering from depression..

I love this actor/comedian. I remember him from his joke about Golf. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

shakalaka
08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
No way! Just heard it was hoping it wasn't true!

egmilano
08-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Damn that's horrible .. Hilarious stand up .. Sad way to go

xnvy
08-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Damn, that sucks. I'll remember him in World's Greatest Dad. He was pretty funny :(

max_boost
08-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Terrible! :cry: :(

The_Penguin
08-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Shit! Tragic loss of a brilliant talent!

RIP Robin, thanks for the LOLz.

Melinda
08-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Totally devastating. I absolutely loved him. RIP to one of the best talents Hollywood has ever seen.

Depression fucking sucks.

ajooo
08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
RIP :(

GTS4tw
08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Depression fucking sucks.

Yeah, can affect anyone, no matter how successful.

I loved Good Morning Vietnam.

lilmira
08-11-2014, 05:40 PM
RIP, he can be too extreme sometimes but he's definitely not boring. Is depression an occupational thing for comedians or comedians tend to be a bit dark inside?

flipstah
08-11-2014, 05:43 PM
:cry:

samo147
08-11-2014, 05:56 PM
qM-gZintWDc

RIP

flipstah
08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
6RbY2iTOUQA

MGCM
08-11-2014, 06:21 PM
:( RIP Robin Williams

mrsingh
08-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Wow, that is truly shocking, RIP.

Dren
08-11-2014, 06:34 PM
RIP...GREAT ENTERTAINER :(

SCHIDER23
08-11-2014, 06:37 PM
My brother told me really sad news, RIP :(

G-ZUS
08-11-2014, 06:41 PM
RIP Mrs. Doubtfire :(

n1zm0
08-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Wow no idea he was fighting depression and alcoholism, besides his tons of other great films, I'll remember him for all the childhood movies my brother and I used to watch over and over again. RIP

sxtasy
08-11-2014, 06:59 PM
RIP truly one of the best, always had so much positive energy.

Erf2iFHG44M

eglove
08-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Rip :( totally upset about this. Gunna finish dinner and watch mrs doubt fire and cry like a little bitch :( :(

SmAcKpOo
08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Never understood why celebrities who have all the opportunities in the world end up killing themselves.

I mean, they have all the financial means in the world to get the help they need but don't.

How many amazing talents do we have to lose before the entertainment industry wakes up and gets help for these people.

So sad, grew up watching Robin Williams. :(

ICEBERG
08-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Grew up watching Mork & Mindy. Going to be missed. RIP..:(

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/mork.jpg

Disoblige
08-11-2014, 08:08 PM
RIP, great actor and enjoyed him growing up. Very surprising and saddened by this.

Xtrema
08-11-2014, 08:28 PM
bINUfbLV_0M

Rip

But all the intense dramatic role he's been in, you know he levage off a darker side for those performances.

finboy
08-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
Never understood why celebrities who have all the opportunities in the world end up killing themselves.

I mean, they have all the financial means in the world to get the help they need but don't.

How many amazing talents do we have to lose before the entertainment industry wakes up and gets help for these people.

So sad, grew up watching Robin Williams. :(

Mental illness puts people in a mindset to do irrational things, it's very unfortunate he couldn't bring himself to get the help he needed. Unfortunately he found a permanent solution for a temporary problem. He brought a lot of joy to the world, and even though his career hasn't been at a high point as of late, he will be remembered for being a solid talent.

Hopefully this thread won't delve into "he was weak" or "what a cruel asshole," but that would probably be hoping for too much.

taemo
08-11-2014, 09:48 PM
RIP.. definitely one of the actors I grew up watching.. Hook, Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, Jack, Jumangi, Toys

Erf2iFHG44M

corsvette
08-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Really sad, one of my faves for sure. RIP

Sugarphreak
08-11-2014, 09:53 PM

ottamania
08-11-2014, 10:03 PM
RIP... I love his jumanji. damn man.

Mar
08-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Damn man, I just sat through Bobby Z last night as a Paul Walker tribute, now I'm going to have to sit down and watch R.V. tomorrow night. I'm really not surprised by this one, any time I saw someone unexpectedly shove a microphone in his face he rambled on at light speed for 10 minutes straight without taking a breath and he was exactly the same level of hilarity the entire way through, he was always funny. No sane person can pull that off.

If you've only ever seen his movies, try his stand-up, my guts were hurting after watching it the first time.

Xtrema
08-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
So sad... I never though Williams would go out like this, he always seemed so happy and fun to be around.

Of all the Hollywood people, I always though he'd be one of the most fun to sit down and have a beer with.

A lot of people never experience this, but having endless opportunities that you can just go and do instantly and on demand is sometimes the most depressing thing... without a challenge, it takes the fun out of it. The sweet is never as sweet without the bitter.

That said, I think he did have divorce and money issue when he returned to TV last year. Probably source of depression and falling off the wagon.

HiTempguy1
08-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Depression is a disease of the mind.

It doesn't matter if you have everything in the world, or nothing at all. It doesn't matter if you have millions of people who love you, or everyone hates you.

TED talk has a great discussion about depression. And yes, comedians (IIRC) are more likely to be depressed than most other entertainers. Being a comedian (it appears to me) is almost part of a coping mechanism.

The point is, clinical depression has zero to do with anything. The sad reality is that an individual is broken (mentally). There is no "fixing" it. There is dealing with it. I respect someone's right to choose to end their life. Mental anguish is much worse IMO than physical pain. It is no different than addiction (surprise, they go hand in hand). You are never "not an addict", you are either addicted or recovering. They are both incredibly difficult things to deal with.

Just because someone is depressed, does not mean they can not be happy or enjoy themselves. It just means that sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel disappears for a while.

D'z Nutz
08-12-2014, 12:40 AM
This guy cracks me up so much. Gonna miss him :(

http://i.imgur.com/7ALXiR5.jpg

Melinda
08-12-2014, 12:56 AM
The longer this has to sink in, the more devastating it is. Depression is bar none, the worst thing I've ever felt. Knowing by experience that his actions were carried out not from wanting to die, just for the pain to end, makes the loss even greater. RIP to one of the best, your pain is over now, and the memories of my childhood are being held a little tighter tonight. I'll always treasure the light in your eyes and the devotion you gave to everything you did.

He was being treated, and had been winning the battle for a number of years. Every day is a new battle though, and my heart physically hurts for him tonight. His family, friends, and fans have a lot to mourn.

You're free now, Genie.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Syryda/1045672903.gif

Wakalimasu
08-12-2014, 04:41 AM
rip

spikerS
08-12-2014, 07:10 AM
after letting this sink in, and thinking it over, the realization came to me.

He was the funny man to hide the pain. He was hiding behind comedy and making people laugh to divert the attention from himself and the pain he was in. Because it made us laugh, he got good at it. it was a way to change the subject or to never let the spotlight settle on him. Because we were so wrapped up in comedy, no one paid attention to his dark side.

I mean, someone we thought was so funny, could they ever commit suicide?

RIP Mr. Williams. You have left one hell of a legacy, and you will always be remembered as one of the greats. I hope the pain is gone, and the smile you wear now, is a genuine one.

Masked Bandit
08-12-2014, 08:11 AM
This morning I heard a list of five things you didn't know about Robin Williams that would make you smile. My favourite by far was that for the animated movie Aladdin, his character, the genie, didn't have a script. It was all improv. I've watched that movie 50 times with my kids and I think I found his character funnier than my kids did. Pure genius.

Hallowed_point
08-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Just watched one hour photo again last night. One of his best movies imo. It really sinks in after this news that maybe he wasn't far off from the sad & lonely character, Sy he portrayed.
:(

heavyD
08-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Ironic in that earlier in the year I was reading about some of his personal struggles then a few months ago when it was made official his TV show was cancelled after only one season I thought to myself that wouldn't be great news for him. Now a few months later he's dead. Pretty sad.

As far as his career is concerned I considered him a much better actor than comedian as I found his stand up routine too spastic for my tastes.

klumsy_tumbler
08-12-2014, 09:08 AM
RIP to such an extraordinary talent. He was always my favourite as a kid (starting with Aladdin), and I started appreciating his humour even more so in my adult years.

I personally loved his stand up just as much as his acting.

Now I need to go binge watch his work... :cry: :cry: :cry:

civic_stylez
08-12-2014, 09:12 AM
They guy just knew how to crack people up.. I havent been this upset for a celeb death in a long time. The world has lost one of the greatest. I must have watched HOOK at least a hundred times over the years. Guy was as sharp as a razor, he had the most outrageous comebacks. Sad to think what he was fighting when the cameras were off. I have a huge thanks for the years of making me laugh until my guts hurt and eyes watered. A true legend. :cry:

cycosis
08-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned one of his best roles in Death to Smoochy.

Tik-Tok
08-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

As far as his career is concerned I considered him a much better actor than comedian as I found his stand up routine too spastic for my tastes.

:werd: He was a great actor, he could portray every emotion with genuine feeling. His stand-up was just cocaine fueled ranting, lol.

There's quite a few big name comedians with depression. Supposedly it affects 1 in 10 people, and Hollywood isn't immune.

kvg
08-12-2014, 09:52 AM
"Sometimes the happiest people you know, are the saddest people you will ever meet."

ZMan2k2
08-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Having not to long ago attempted the same thing, I can tell you there is no darker place then when you feel this is the only solution. Lucky for my family, my attempt didn't work, and I got to the hospital in time. I lost two days of my life, in a coma, but I came out of it. I have luckily gotten help, and my life is turning around. Unfortunately, it's not always the case, and in the end, the world has lost a truly great talent. In his case, I believe that he'd lost most of his fortune through divorces and failed rolls in TV.

I truly hope that he will smile on, and bring smiles to those around him now. He is one who will truly be missed.

BlueHaloGirl
08-12-2014, 10:50 AM
RIP...I will greatly treasure my opportunity to meet you in Canmore and Banff, you truly were a talent.
The world is hugging you and hoping you are finally happy!!!
I'm going to watch RV tonight and bawl my eyes out...

JordanEG6
08-12-2014, 11:59 AM
RIP.

Loved his work in both comedy and drama films (Good Will Hunting, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jack, Alladin etc). Wasn't a big fan of the stand-up, but I always appreciated and respected what he did. Great entertainer with a great sense of humor. That being said:

http://cdn.niketalk.com/9/99/9913902f_image.jpeg

I think he would have loved this joke lol.

01RedDX
08-12-2014, 01:06 PM

Melinda
08-12-2014, 02:09 PM
It has been revealed that he hung himself http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/08/12/robin-williams-suicide-by-hanging-note-dead

95EagleAWD
08-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Cracked (http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/) did a nice little write up about comedy and suicide... right on the money, IMO.

Also touches on Chris Farley, who also died far, far too soon.

Disoblige
08-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Depression has always been a touchy subject. I completely understand why someone who is depressed would not want to show it at all. Why would they? Trying to hint at it makes others think they are attention seeking. Especially with people out there who do it purely for attention reasons, it makes it really hard for those who actually suffer from depression. The fact that people loosely throw around the term "depression" doesn't help either. One thing I have realized over the years too is that people are really good at hiding things. A lot of depressed people don't like telling others they are depressed because they don't want a bunch of people trying to cheer them up. I think those who actually suffer from depression should try to seek professional help privately. Call a hotline and just talk to someone. See a therapist. Talking to friends about it more often than not just doesn't feel right. It's such a personal thing.

Deetz
08-12-2014, 04:17 PM
He and my dad were child hood friends. My dad always talks about how he was a funny and great to be around...he will be missed

Kloubek
08-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Call a hotline and just talk to someone. See a therapist. Talking to friends about it more often than not just doesn't feel right. It's such a personal thing.

The thing is that for a large portion of those with depression, simply getting the thoughts out is not enough. When I went through it myself, I had people to talk to. And it really wasn't obvious things that were troubling me either... it was just a feeling I simply couldn't get out of no matter how I tried to change my attitude. I saw a therapist, who basically just told me what I already knew. I didn't need help seeing there are nothing seriously wrong with my life. I needed help making my emotions work as they were intended.

For me, I needed medication. And although I did try a couple first which didn't work (and I was skeptical any ever would), I finally got prescribed Prozac. And contrary to the fear mongering that has surrounded Prozac in the media and from anti-drug groups, it entirely changed my life. I'm not on it anymore, but I fear what would have occurred if I hadn't found it.

So, add drug an alcohol abuse to the mix (as Robin has such issues as well), and you're dealing with a really complex set of hurdles to overcome. And I guess he couldn't.

suntan
08-12-2014, 04:40 PM
^ Yup. Much depression, especially chronic depression, results from chemical imbalance.

lilmira
08-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Cut his wrist too apparently, this makes me sad. :cry:

Mar
08-12-2014, 08:33 PM
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/search?updated-max=2013-10-02T14:53:00-06:00&max-results=10

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LqsAL-wgaiA/Uga1rGqCTKI/AAAAAAAAKGw/hZ75E0JoMu0/s640/ADTWO6.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N4Scp7FeO7A/Uga3Aavz63I/AAAAAAAAKPc/OeFb4Q0dv3I/s640/depression+xalt.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M2ZgvGnasrc/Uga2u65NhuI/AAAAAAAAKPE/AgrRzw1FUD4/s640/ADTWO8.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-264_RDlM7go/Uga2vSjwkoI/AAAAAAAAKPU/fMjYDG_zKPA/s640/ADTWO9.png

Melinda
08-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Robin Williams gave the world many gifts in his lifetime. With his tragic passing, he's left us another one. Today, and for many days to come, people are openly discussing depression and mental illness. This amazing man had been suffering for so long, through much of an incredible 40 year career. While devoting his life to making others happy, he was sick and full of sadness. Yesterday, the sickness won. Today, people are asking why. There are no words for the grief and profound loss, but an unexpected gift was given to us when he left us. He opened the eyes of the world a little wider today.

And clinical depression almost always needs more than a person to talk to. I've been doing both therapy and medication for 4 years. I suffered alone for over a year. It's a terrifying illness, you no longer recognize who you are or the thoughts you start thinking. Suicide isn't cowardly, it's despiration. Desperate not to end your life, but to end the crippling pain. Think of how scary that would be.

D'z Nutz
08-12-2014, 10:40 PM
RWoivNnWv3I

b_6wYQC9n3U

flipstah
08-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Is it weird that watching that clip from Conan makes me see Robin in a different light now?

I don't want to but it does. :(

mr2mike
08-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Wached an old movie of his last night which I had not see. Hilarious and has a stacked cast from SCTV, etc.

Club Paradise.

It's on youtube too for anyone wanting to watch it.

civic_stylez
08-13-2014, 10:18 AM
I watched a thing on CBC regarding mental illness last night and its really sad to see how the view on it is still "toughen up". Depression is a disease of the mind and doctors are so fast to prescribe "medication" the just masks the problem and doesnt do anything to cure it. Its like a headaches and colds. Pills just numb pain receptors and suppress cold symptoms but the headache and virus are still there, you just dont feel it.

I couldnt imagine living in a dark place all the time where there seems to be no end. When the cameras came on for Robin, he could escape but once they were off, he must have lived a very sad life. Really sad to think that for everyone he made laugh, he was hurting so bad inside.

Modelexis
08-13-2014, 10:25 AM
diyuAXzN7yo

Melinda
08-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Depression is a disease of the mind and doctors are so fast to prescribe "medication" the just masks the problem and doesnt do anything to cure it. Its like a headaches and colds. Pills just numb pain receptors and suppress cold symptoms but the headache and virus are still there, you just dont feel it.
Sometimes, yes, this is the case. But in clinical depression, there is a legitimate chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication helps it work itself out so it learns how to be balanced again. Most people on medication for depression aren't on it forever. Some are, but most aren't. For situational depression, or a lazy doctor, it's a band aid. But for clinical depression and a multilevel treatment plan, it's extremely important.

taemo
08-13-2014, 11:44 AM
was watching a TV show yesterday where this character goes to talk to a psychiatrist, she opens up to him, tells all her problems then all the doctor do is write her a prescription and that's it.

i don't suffer any depression or anything but made me wonder if these prescriptions are just a lazy way of curing these type of problems,a person's environment and lifestyle has more impact to their sanity than the chemicals in their head

Melinda
08-13-2014, 05:35 PM
For anyone who is having a hard time understanding depression or thinks suicide is selfish, read this. It's ridiculously accurate

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5672519

GTS4tw
08-13-2014, 06:46 PM
For anyone who is having a hard time understanding depression or thinks suicide is selfish, read this. It's ridiculously accurate

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5672519

This one really resonated with me too:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/22/living/going-public-with-depression/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

Melinda
08-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

This one really resonated with me too:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/22/living/going-public-with-depression/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
Wow. Very well written.

spikerS
08-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Robin's wife also just released a statement that he had the early stages of Parkinson's disease, and was completely sober at the time he committed suicide. Apparently he was really struggling with the diagnosis of Parkinson's and it just pushed him further into his depression.

Selfish or not, I can say that with everything combined, I would not want to live the rest of my life knowing I am going to slowly rot away and become a prisoner in my own body.

I just find it really sad that it came to a head like that for Robin.

RIP. :(

01RedDX
08-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Modelexis
08-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Cut his wrist too apparently, this makes me sad. :cry:

The cuts found on his wrist were 'superficial' meaning they were basically just scratches. The pocket knife was found close buy with a closed blade.

Seems kinda odd.

The tin foil hatter in me wants to invent crazy stories about what may have happened but I'll wait for the experts to hopefully confirm the suicide and maybe piece together what was going on in that room before he died.

Sugarphreak
08-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Moonracer
08-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Believe it or not Robin was big into cycling, I happened upon this video of him heckling George Hincapie of the US Postal service. You cyclists will find this even more amusing. lol

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140812132613-williams-cycling4-horizontal-gallery.jpg

smZuZ35Eg9Q

Modelexis
08-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Sometimes, yes, this is the case. But in clinical depression, there is a legitimate chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication helps it work itself out so it learns how to be balanced again. Most people on medication for depression aren't on it forever. Some are, but most aren't. For situational depression, or a lazy doctor, it's a band aid. But for clinical depression and a multilevel treatment plan, it's extremely important.

I don't know that there is very much if any scientific evidence identifying what a healthy balance of brain chemicals looks like and how to identify scientifically in a lab a brain what an 'imbalance' of chemicals looks like.

I don't think you can go to the doctor and have a chemical balance test done to identify what chemicals are out of balance.

I'm also not sure there is any scientific evidence that suggests that SSRI's can restore a balance in the brain, especially prior to proving what an imbalance is and what it looks like in scientific terms.

I can find many scientific articles noting the lack of evidence that a chemical balance is to blame for depression and lack of methods of testing for a chemical imbalance.

http://www.ahrp.org/cms/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=109

"Biological psychiatrists have looked very closely for a serotonin imbalance or dysfunction in patients with depression or
obsessive compulsive disorder and, to date, it has been elusive," says Dr. Wayne Goodman, Chair of the US Food and
Drug Administration (FDA) Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee.

In 2003, Ireland's drug regulator banned GSK from stating on its patient information leaflet that paroxetine „works by bringing serotonin levels back to normal.” Officials stated that „There is no scientific investigation to measure what are normal serotonin levels in the human brain receptors. As such, claiming that a particular medicinal product works by bringing serotonin levels back to normal is not accurate.”

So I guess I'm just curious where you're getting the information you're using to make these scientific claims that chemical imbalance is responsible for depression?

403Gemini
08-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Thank you to the mod who appropriately named this thread - when I made it , it was still "new" news and wasn't sure if it was true or a hoax :(

Still not setting in totally, watched Mrs.Doubtfire and When Dreams May Come (What an ironic movie to watch now...)

Melinda
08-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

I don't know that there is very much if any scientific evidence identifying what a healthy balance of brain chemicals looks like and how to identify scientifically in a lab a brain what an 'imbalance' of chemicals looks like.

I don't think you can go to the doctor and have a chemical balance test done to identify what chemicals are out of balance.

I'm also not sure there is any scientific evidence that suggests that SSRI's can restore a balance in the brain, especially prior to proving what an imbalance is and what it looks like in scientific terms.

I can find many scientific articles noting the lack of evidence that a chemical balance is to blame for depression and lack of methods of testing for a chemical imbalance.

http://www.ahrp.org/cms/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=109

"Biological psychiatrists have looked very closely for a serotonin imbalance or dysfunction in patients with depression or
obsessive compulsive disorder and, to date, it has been elusive," says Dr. Wayne Goodman, Chair of the US Food and
Drug Administration (FDA) Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee.

In 2003, Ireland's drug regulator banned GSK from stating on its patient information leaflet that paroxetine „works by bringing serotonin levels back to normal.” Officials stated that „There is no scientific investigation to measure what are normal serotonin levels in the human brain receptors. As such, claiming that a particular medicinal product works by bringing serotonin levels back to normal is not accurate.”

So I guess I'm just curious where you're getting the information you're using to make these scientific claims that chemical imbalance is responsible for depression?

The recent research suggests that the 'chemical imbalance' has nothing to do with serotonin, but more in depth than researchers originally thought. Still deals with the chemicals in the brain, but not the stuff you're quoting. Antidepressants work by (usually) raising the serotonin levels in your brain to improve the symptoms of depression. It's a lot like taking Tylenol for a headache. It relieves the symptoms, but you don't get the headache because you lack Tylenol. However, it does sometimes keep the headache away long enough that whatever IS causing the headache to fix itself. That is sort of the mentality behind antidepressants. They relieve the worst symptoms, so that the brain and have some time to work itself out. Given that depression and other mental disorders are a lot more complicated than a headache, this often means patients are on their medication longer. *Most* people afflicted with depression do get themselves 'med free' at some point.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/11/09/depressions-chemical-imbalance-explained/398.html

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/what-causes-depression.htm

I'm curious, what exactly is the problem with antidepressants anyway? Depression is a disease just like any other. If someone had diabetes, no one would tell them they were stupid for treating it with insulin or other diabetic medications. If people got motion sick, no one cares if they take gravol. If someone had high blood pressure or high cholesterol, they'd take medication for that. A chronic knee injury would have pain killers that go along with that too. Is it just the stigma of Prozac from the 80s and 90s? Is it the stigma that depression is not actually real? That weak minded people victimize themselves because of their lot in life?

Depression sufferers know that antidepressants are not the cure. They also know, however, that they help the symptoms enough that they can get back to a semi-normal life. So that they can get out of bed, get active, eat food. Get to their doctor's office for therapy. All the things that actually DO help them get better. Unless you've lived in the pit of hell that is depression, you will never understand what it feels like to cry getting into bed, because you know you'll have to get out of it tomorrow. You'll never know what it feels like to resist urges to burn down your house instead of clean it, or drive your car into a moving train to escape the pain. You'll never sit on your kitchen floor sobbing over nothing while your confused two year old tries to comfort you. You just can't understand until you've been there. I'm not all the way better, but the medication I'm on helps me function, gets me out of bed, and stops me from wanting to hurt myself. While it's been doing that, I've been a lot more active, I've been seeing therapists, I've had an appetite again, and I spend time with other people. It's been a LONG time since I cried over nothing. It's been a LONG time since my husband had to come home 20 minutes after leaving for work in the morning because I can't think of anything other than hurting myself or my kids. It's been a 6 year journey for me, and I can say with 100% certainty, that if my disease wasn't medicated, I wouldn't be here today and likely, neither would my children. And you know what? I know that there will be a day that I will be medication free, without the depression. Will it come back? It might. But the sigma of mental illness has to stop. It's real. It requires treatment. More than just a promotion at work or a hot bath.

Modelexis
08-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Where you seem to be confused is the difference between treating diabetes, which is an objective measurable disease which has a precise known balance in the body and precise ways of treating it.
It's blood sugar, this is incredibly treatable and can be measured with a high degree of accuracy and the dose of insulin can be administered specific to the blood sugar levels.

Insulin injections are also not the cure for diabetes but at least it works.

This is NOT the case with depression, the amount of transmitters and chemicals and processes that go on in the brain is not yet fully understood and cannot yet be measured accurately and specifically to the individual.

Tylenol at least works better for headaches than a sugar pill would.

Sugar pills work nearly as good as anti depressants, many studies have shown.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/18/new-research-on-the-antidepressant-versus-placebo-debate/

“Although placebo may not be a viable treatment option, there are other treatments that on average work as well as antidepressants, [such as] physical exercise and cognitive behavioral psychotherapy. As far as we know, these alternatives don’t make people worse.

“This suggests to me that antidepressants should be kept as a last resort, and if a person does not respond to the treatment within a few weeks, it should be discontinued,” says Kirsch.

Krystal agrees that if one-quarter of patients with depression are made worse by antidepressant treatment, “we need to find ways to identify who those people are and find other ways to reach that group of people.”

I can quote a link from the same site you use earlier to attempt to explain brain chemistry.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2010/01/06/antidepressants-work-better-than-placebo-for-severe-depression/10577.html

SSRIs and other new generation antidepressant drugs, the increasingly popular medications that are now used by more than 1 in 10 Americans over 12.

These drugs are a scam and are dangerous.
Your 13 year old child does not need to have SSRI's shoved down their throat

Some people have brain chemistry that causes them to be overly optimistic all the time and immune to negative thoughts. Would you be willing to apply the same logic and claim that the happy all the time guy has a disease and his brain chemistry is all wrong?

You find me a diabetic that takes a placebo injection and gets the same results as an insulin injection and I'll take your comparison seriously.

The problem with anti depressants is they hurt people, and 1 in 10 people in the USA are taking them.

Your logical fallacy is anecdotal regarding your last paragraph.
Anecdotal stories are not a substitute for scientific research.

But I will say that you probably shouldn't be allowed near children if you are as much of a danger to them as you describe.

Melinda
08-17-2014, 03:50 PM

But I will say that you probably shouldn't be allowed near children if you are as much of a danger to them as you describe.
I've met some pricks in my time, but you sir, are a fucking cactus.

Modelexis
08-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Maybe it's a disease, maybe I should take a random drug that works as good as a sugar pill to cure my brain chemistry.
Since we're just inventing illness' we might as well add that to the list.

freshprince1
08-17-2014, 06:50 PM
:hijack:

My uncle got to know Mr. Williams while filming Good Will Hunting, which happens to be my favourite of his movies. He said Robin was a stand up guy (no stand-up-comedy pun intended), very nice and considerate. Wishing the best for his family at this time. At the very least, it seems that his suicide is shining a much needed light on the struggles people suffer with through depression.

RIP

The_Rural_Juror
08-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks for sharing, Melinda. Really made me reflect on life.

Melinda
08-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Thanks for sharing, Melinda. Really made me reflect on life.
Really hard to tell, given the tone this thread has taken on, but was that sarcasm or genuine? If the latter, my pleasure. I'm not ashamed of the battle I've fought, and if talking about it helps others, I can deal with the insults from the evil side of ignorance.

If it was sarcasm, then you're a cactus too :)

xnvy
08-18-2014, 12:02 AM
I will echo The Rural Juror's sentiments (if they are genuine). Hearing people's stories is nice and gives some context to what people are going through. Working on the crisis lines and suicide lines, there's really no better feeling than when someone who is depressed thanks you for what you do. Depression and suicide are tough topics to talk about with people though. Even with training and talking with lots of people who suffer, you still find yourself not knowing what to say, saying the wrong thing, or afraid to approach the topic.

The_Rural_Juror
08-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Don't be mean to me. I am a little flower, not a cactus.

Melinda
08-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Don't be mean to me. I am a little flower, not a cactus.

:clap: :thumbsup:

Kloubek
08-18-2014, 08:51 PM

I believe studies have been done with brain scans, and they do show an obvious difference in the activity in certain areas between healthy and depressed people. I don't believe, however, there is a "chemical imbalance" test one can take.

Anyway, after reading your posts you are seem to be one of those who don't feel clinical depression exists, or at the very least that antidepressants do anything. That's ok - you're not alone in your views. And I imagine until science manages to explain it to a more concrete level, people will continue to have that kind of viewpoint.

But with that said, I know for a *fact* that antidepressants have the potential of helping those with depression. I'm one of them. So are both my siblings. (One big happy family!) I also personally know at least twenty people who have had their lives changed by such medications.

Placebo? Yeah - I imagine in some cases that might be the case. But I can guarantee you that in my case, it was not the placebo effect. I never wanted to go on medication. At the time, I despised taking any kind of medication, and I didn't believe it would help me anyway. But it did. And when I ran out a couple of years later, after a few days my perception of the world around my dramatically changed. Rage appeared when it never did while I was taking medication. I was simply not a nice guy unmedicated, and had a microscopic fuse. Hard to me nice and act happy when all I wanted to do is rip my insides out because they were in pain debatably worse than almost any physical pain I've ever experienced.

So do the doctors know everything? Absolutely not. Unfortunately, not nearly enough is known about depression. But just because they might not be certain about everything doesn't mean the drugs inherently don't work. Man has been using substances for thousands of years to treat various ailments without knowing exactly what they were doing or how the treatment worked.

So if you take any part of anything I say on these forums, trust someone who has experienced it: Antidepressants CAN help people - even if the science behind it is less than solid.

Modelexis
08-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

So if you take any part of anything I say on these forums, trust someone who has experienced it: Antidepressants CAN help people - even if the science behind it is less than solid.

My problem with them is they don't show much better results in a test against a placebo and not only that but they actually HARM a lot of people which is worse than not working at all.

They have massive side effects for some people, and with 1 in 10 Americans taking them you can imagine the damage it's doing.

I don't care if you take them, and I'm glad they work (worked?) for you, but just don't try to tell people that it's scientifically proven to work or that depression is due to brain chemistry, and most importantly, don't give children these drugs.

If they work for you and you get an advantage from them who am I to tell you what a grown adult can put in your body.

Mar
08-18-2014, 10:53 PM
I watched World's Greatest Dad on Netflix a couple of days ago, does anyone find it odd how similar it is? His kid was into tying a belt around his neck and leaning into a choking position while jerking off. From the reports I read, Robin was found with a belt around his neck, leaning into it to choke himself. In the movie, Robin's character cleaned his son up and made it look like a regular suicide before the emergency crew showed up to save the embarrassment.
This is also the way David Carradine died.

whydontchathen
08-19-2014, 01:43 AM
RIP Robin Williams.