PDA

View Full Version : High cholesterol/LDL

Hallowed_point
08-12-2014, 08:26 AM
So my cholesterol has been on the high side recently (above the normal range) and I really don't want to have to go on medication. The previous time it was checked (about 6 months ago) it was in the high 4's per mmol. Can't recall what the LDL was however it was also on the high side.

I just got my blood work back yesterday and I'm now at 5.27 for cholesterol and 3.56 for LDL. The doctor has told me that they will refer me to a nutritionist. Follow up bloodwork will be done in 3 months time. If my cholesterol is still high it's sounding like medication is the next step.

6"1, 166 lbs. I eat fast food once a week on average. My plan is to cut fast food/fried food out completely as well as red meat/eggs. Cut down on the candy as sometimes I pig out. Incorporate more
fiber/veggies into my diet and start doing more cardio again. I believe that a lot of this is genetic as I know that my dad has high cholesterol as well as my grandma on my mom's side.

Anyone else here in a similar boat? If so, what has worked for you to get your levels down to a reasonable amount?

DeleriousZ
08-12-2014, 08:40 AM
IMO you should cut as many carbs from your diet as you can, especially complex carbs.

Marsh
08-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Hey, I've been in the same boat as you (currently still am.) My LDL and Cholesterol were not high by normal standards, but because of my father's health record for these areas, doctor was concerned and wants to bring my LDL down. I think my LDL was around 2.8 as of this past week, down from 3.2, and need to get it under 2.5.

I've decided to take crestor (once every other day) to get it down this last little bit, but before that here is what I was doing to bring it down:

-Stopped eating out, only go once a month. If I do have to eat outside, I just get a salad.

-Cut out red meat, and reduced chicken intake (chicken has high cholesterol), and have been eating more fish

-Have been taking Metamucil as my fibre source to help reduce overall cholesterol level, which is in a good range now. You can also eat strawberries, brocolli, spinach, as those are known to help cholesterol levels and also have high fiber. (can google for I had at least 2-3 servings of one of these items everyday.

-Exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot overstate how important this is....Not sure what your lifestyle is like, but mine was busy and exercise definitely came last, if at all. I've made a serious effort to do at least 30 minutes cardio everyday, and weights or sports every other day. Belly Fat is a leading factor to high cholesterol levels, so the more effort you take to reduce this, your cholesterol levels will improve.

Good luck with the process man, its tough but completely possible!

EDIT: Im 6'0" 180 lbs for reference

Darkane
08-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Fish oil! I'd find a good brand and take 4-6 caps a day.

Don't cut red meet and eggs. If I was to bet is be two things raising your cholesterol.

1) smoking
2) triglycerides (from carbohydrate)

You're pretty young to be seeing hereditary cholesterol numbers. That comes later.

How much milk do you drink? Cheese? Ice cream?

In reality diet only contributes to 25% total cholesterol. The liver and body makes the rest. You can take some liver detox supps like milk thisstle.

jwslam
08-12-2014, 08:46 AM
http://cdn.frugalcouponliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/honey-nut-cheerios.jpg

GQBalla
08-12-2014, 08:50 AM
damn. How is it that high? at 6'1 and 166 lbs, i can't even imagine you skinny fat.

Improve on your diet first of all. It probably does have a lot to do with Genetics, but you can fix your diet up first.

Stop Smoking, if you smoke
Stop Drinking, if you drink

Start just drinking water.

Excellent choice with Metamucil, increase fibre in your diet. Like Darkane said, Fish oils will benefit you. Only downside i can see of that is gas and the runs if you're not used to it. Take 1 cap 4 times a day to start and take with food.

Eat smaller portions multiple times a day.

Hallowed_point
08-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Non-smoker. I drink a glass of milk a day of average and a couple cups of yogurt. Fair amount of cheese every couple of days. Now that I think about it dairy is a big part of my diet. I'm not in the skinny fat category, no belly to speak of (31" waist.) I didn't realize chicken was high cholesterol..jesus. 1 beer every couple of days..guess that's got to go. I do eat a lot of carbs and sugary cereal on weekends.

DeleriousZ
08-12-2014, 09:28 AM
I'd do some looking into the whole 'cholesterol clogs your arteries' thing before getting too worked up about it. IMO if you're reducing your cholesterol, you're not getting to the root cause of the health issue. Treating the symptoms instead of the cause.

GQBalla
08-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Non-smoker. I drink a glass of milk a day of average and a couple cups of yogurt. Fair amount of cheese every couple of days. Now that I think about it dairy is a big part of my diet. I'm not in the skinny fat category, no belly to speak of (31" waist.) I didn't realize chicken was high cholesterol..jesus. 1 beer every couple of days..guess that's got to go. I do eat a lot of carbs and sugary cereal on weekends.

i didn't say you were skinny fat, i said i can't even image you veing skinny fat with those stats.

mr2mike
08-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Cut all that dairy out. Other ways to get calcium and whatever else you're trying to get by taking all that dairy.

Milk is for baby cows.

Don't cut chicken out, listen to Darkane.

Fish oil and get your "Good" cholesterol and fats intake up.

mazdavirgin
08-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I would go see that nutritionist and not waste my time discussing my diet on an online forum. Everyone thinks they are an expert when it comes to diet/food consumption. However there is a lot of junk science/bro science when it comes to diets. Genetics also plays a role in cholesterol levels so what worked for someone else might be the equivalent of pissing into the wind for you. Talk to your GP man...

msommers
08-12-2014, 11:19 AM
My cholesterol is also high. I'm very active and eat pretty well with fairly little dairy, I don't even drink milk. The reality is that some people are more prone to it simply from genetics, especially if you're high this young (I'm younger than 30).

On paper, I should be the last person to have any cholesterol problems but sometimes you get shitty genes :rofl:

mr2mike
08-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Yes genetics plays a part.
Did a biometric test before and after I broke my ankle and other physical medical issues.
I didn't do anything and I mean anything for 6-8 months. Barely walked more than a city block. But I kept my meals in check and did what I could for food intake. I did gain weight but my biometrics were all right in line. So it was interesting to see how my body was able to keep everything within the range it did. I credit genetics for that.

A790
08-12-2014, 11:57 AM
What's your activity like?

wintonyk
08-12-2014, 09:13 PM
I used to work as a nutritionist (it's what my degree is as well). But I am long since out of practice. Sounds like there is a big genetic component to your situation. But as was mentioned consumption of cholesterol doesn't necessarily raise your cholesterol. It's not likely to be consumption of complex carbs thats doing it but the simple carbs of your candy can be a contributor. Increase your omega 3's decrease the 6s (biggest contributor is likely fried food), and that should help. I have seen this help significantly, although it is gonna take minimum 3 months to see anything, and 6 to get a better idea.

If you have benefits go see scott at Simply for Life.

eblend
08-13-2014, 07:17 AM
I had high cholesterol at one point and was able to very quickly bring it back down with regular exercise and pretty much no change to my diet. I restrict egg intake to one a day, but everything else is fair game. Eat cheese cake, rice all the time, love cheese, don't drink much milk, but not afraid of fatty foods either. I found with exercise I was able to keep it down the most. I since stopped working out and it has creeped back up, but I started taking metamusil and also take some non-prescription medication called Niacin which is supposed to convert cholesterol and break it down into other fats or something. Niacin sucks only because you get a massive hot flash if you take it during the day, but I usually take it just before I go to sleep, and since it takes about 20 min for the reaction to happen, I don't know about it as I am sleeping, but those days I can't pass out......it hurts bad haha

Hallowed_point
08-13-2014, 09:06 AM
I work a desk job but I'm trying to offset the lack of physical activity with running the stairs for ~20 minutes a day M-F. I've been slacking on working out lately I'll admit that. Getting back into weights and rowing machine 3-4 times a week. I used to take the omega 3-6-9's regularly. I've started taking them again.

I'll have to look into metamuscil. Hot flashes from niacin sound nasty, especially in the summer!

Thanks for the advice all.

eblend
08-13-2014, 10:56 AM
[i]

I'll have to look into metamuscil. Hot flashes from niacin sound nasty, especially in the summer!
[/B]

They are haha, I don't take it in the summer, I barely survive as is. The feeling lasts for about 30 minutes and during that time you really don't want to move....all the hair on your body feels like it's being ripped out at the slightest of moves :D

Hallowed_point
08-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by eblend
They are haha, I don't take it in the summer, I barely survive as is. The feeling lasts for about 30 minutes and during that time you really don't want to move....all the hair on your body feels like it's being ripped out at the slightest of moves :D

Yeah there is no way I could do that, my place is boiling right now (no a/c.) I booked an apt with the medical center nutritionist.

DeleriousZ
08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
hahaha I remember the first time i took niacin. Whole body went bright burning red. My skin felt like it was on fire and itchy. I took way way too much though lol.

heavyfuel
09-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
hahaha I remember the first time i took niacin. Whole body went bright burning red. My skin felt like it was on fire and itchy. I took way way too much though lol.

Oh fuck tell me about it. Tried it last week. Same thing. I read about the "niacin flush" effect beforehand but never imagined it could be that bad. Didn't last too long tho thank God. My sister in law is a pharmacist so I asked her about it and apparently the redness goes away once your body gets used to it.

Hallowed_point
09-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Update: It's been about a month on my new high fiber diet and I feel great. Wake up at 5:50 am for work without a problem. No more headaches, low energy or falling asleep on the couch after work. I'm also doing high intensity 20 minute workout a couple times a week. Nutritionist is sending me for follow up blood work in 5 months to confirm lower levels. I've started drinking almond/coconut milk and have cut out high fat cheese. :thumbsup: I've cut out sugary cereal and white sugar in general as best I can. I feel much more alert..no more foggy brain.

InRich
09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
^ Natural honey, from the farmers market, not store bought shit, is a fantastic sugar replacement altogether. good for you on the life changes.

Hallowed_point
09-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks inrich..yeah I'm taking bee pollen from the Oakanagan every morning. The energy is great it's not a jittery stress energy. Boosts immune system too

heavyfuel
09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
^^ Blah... honey is honey is honey... I use the Superstore stuff in shakes every morning and pre-workout fuels me up great and the pounds are coming off. $18.99/3kg.