PDA

View Full Version : Question about drywall installation.

oz388
08-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi guys, so i found the drywalls of the interior walls were only screwed on the perimeter of the board, the contractor did not put any screw to secure the drywall at intermediate studs. They explained that this is the standard practice to reduce potential nail pops. They said they used drywall adhesive to attach the board with intermediate studs.

So in between the stud and drywall there should be a layer of plastic vapor barrier protecting the insulation, if drywall adhesive is used, they basically glued the drywall on the vapor barrier instead of the stud, does this sound right to you guys?

Anyone with drywall experience please explain, thanks a lot!

mr2mike
08-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Vapor barrier won't be on interior walls.
They glue it to reduce the amount of mud and taping.

edit: You probably don't have any insulation on interior walls either. Unless you specified and paid for it.

Kloubek
08-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Yeah OP - that doesn't make sense. There would be zero reason to use vapour barrier for interior walls. That is only used for exterior walls - unless, as mr2mike mentioned, extra was paid for them to insulate and maybe then they used vapour barrier to keep it in place or something.

oz388
08-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys, you are right there isn't insulation and vapour barrier on interior walls. :)

DENZILDON
08-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Vapor barrier won't be on interior walls.
They glue it to reduce the amount of mud and taping.

Damn, I have to remember this the next time I build a basement.

mr2mike
08-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

Damn, I have to remember this the next time I build a basement.

You and me both. I hate mudding and taping.

suntan
08-12-2014, 03:27 PM
There is literally zero reason for you to do this if you're doing the drywalling. Get a drywall screw bit, use drywall screws, no chance of nail pops.

jwslam
08-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Off topic: Can you use a stud finder on glued studs? I thought the basis behind stud finders are for magnetism finding the screws?

suntan
08-12-2014, 03:55 PM
The good ones use density changes to find the studs.

schurchill39
08-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Off topic: Can you use a stud finder on glued studs? I thought the basis behind stud finders are for magnetism finding the screws?
Here you go (http://home.howstuffworks.com/question271.htm)

spikerS
08-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by suntan
There is literally zero reason for you to do this if you're doing the drywalling. Get a drywall screw bit, use drywall screws, no chance of nail pops.

Mostly true. but you are right, no reason to do this. The adhesive costs more, and is more labor and time intensive then putting in a drywall screw and a quick swipe of mud.

But you *can* get "nail pops" from screws too but that usually means the screw broke, or studs are rotted out, but that should never happen on a wall.

I am hearing that a lot of contractors are also gluing on baseboards and such now instead of using staples or brad nails. Makes painting, redoing carpeting and such a bitch.

mr2mike
08-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Nail pops could also mean the studs aren't square. Drywall is very unforgiving as it doesn't flex and will cause nail pops.
Spikers: damn... Popping baseboards that were Brad nailed is easy. Glue you're going to wreck a lot of shit.. Why is nailing a hassle?? It's not and it's quick.

spikerS
08-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Spikers: damn... Popping baseboards that were Brad nailed is easy. Glue you're going to wreck a lot of shit.. Why is nailing a hassle?? It's not and it's quick.

I know! Nailing a baseboard on is dead simple, faster and cheaper and gluing it.

and if you ever have to remove the baseboard, you are going to fuck everything up if it is glued.

When another contractor told me that is what they do when I was installing some baseboard, I just looked on incredulously. Don't know how I managed to keep from face palming.

suntan
08-17-2014, 07:58 AM
If you're getting pops from screws, you did something horribly wrong.

G
08-17-2014, 09:38 AM
They glue it because it saves them a ton of work and time because they don't have to fill the nail holes and paint while the boards are attached to the wall. They can spray them all then glue it on which is total corner cutting. I would hate to see where else they cut corners. :eek:

mr2mike
08-17-2014, 10:03 AM
I guess someone figures it's easier.
Why not spray the baseboards, nail, get some 16yr old helper to fill the holes and then you quickly sand and touch up the paint.
Note to self don't buy a house built in 2013-on in 20 yrs and try a reno.

Seth1968
08-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by G
They glue it because it saves them a ton of work and time because they don't have to fill the nail holes and paint while the boards are attached to the wall. They can spray them all then glue it on which is total corner cutting. I would hate to see where else they cut corners. :eek:

I'm not seeing your point.

The nail holes are miniscule when compared to the seems.

firebane
08-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Yeah OP - that doesn't make sense. There would be zero reason to use vapour barrier for interior walls. That is only used for exterior walls - unless, as mr2mike mentioned, extra was paid for them to insulate and maybe then they used vapour barrier to keep it in place or something.

If properly placed insulation won't move between studs when you drywall interior walls and don't need vapor barrier for this.

Once insulation is placed it should never move.

Ven
08-17-2014, 11:40 AM
So who wants to drywall my basement next week? :D