PDA

View Full Version : romantic restaurant

dirtsniffer
08-12-2014, 11:09 PM
So I am planning a big surprise for my girlfriend next Friday afternoon and I want to take her out for a romantic dinner afterwards to celebrate. I have seen a few chefs menus with wine pairings that look interesting.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

austic
08-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Rouge has a nice romantic garden but its quite expensive.

ddduke
08-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Stay away from Osteria, food is mediocre and service is even worse. The valet service is also shit.

Feruk
08-13-2014, 08:02 AM
La Chaumiere

rage2
08-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Rogue is top notch, they cater to every food preference, which works well for my gf and I having such a different diet. Make sure you take a cab or sedan there and do the full wine pairings.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Rouge patio garden. They even harvest from the garden that night for stuff that goes in your food, if you get the tasting menu. Always my #1 choice.

Bonterra has a nice patio garden too.

Teatro is awesome too.

Muse is nice and dark/romantic inside with awesome food.

If you like wine & Tapas, Candela and Vin Room are great. Vin room Mission has a roof top patio as well as romantic side-by-side seating indoors.

If you want to share, Mercato is tough to beat.

If you are looking to do a tasting menu with wine pairing:

- Chef's Table
- Rouge
- Teatro
- Q Haute
- Muse

All have been fantastic so far.

Kloubek
08-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Just had my 3 year anniversary dinner at "Bears Den" last night. I am not sure if it is particularly "romantic", but I see it as "cozy"... especially by the fire on the B-side.

dirtsniffer
08-13-2014, 09:07 AM
I actually emailed Rouge yesterday regarding their chefs tasting with pairings. That sounds like a good choice from what I hear.

Disoblige
08-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I would probably avoid Q-Haute as they've been pretty downhill lately. They are way too gimmicky and do a bunch of gastronomy things. Few years ago went and thought it was cool. Went this year again and they did they exact same kind of things. Almost every dish had some kind of "foam" on it and it was a let down. It wouldn't be bad if the food actually tasted incredible, but a lot of dishes were meh at best.

Been to Q-Haute a ton of times and it was really good when I went back in '08-'11. Went progressively downhill after.

mr2mike
08-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Bears den is definitely a great place.

B-Side is the same menu as the other side but less formal. I'd say it's more of a go to place for winter or cold days.

Also the Casbah for a good ambiance.

rage2
08-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I actually emailed Rouge yesterday regarding their chefs tasting with pairings. That sounds like a good choice from what I hear.
I've never bothered to email them. I show up, tell 'em I eat everything but don't enjoy lamb, while my gf is a pescatarian, and the meal is perfect every single time. They're really good at figuring things out for you.

Originally posted by Disoblige
I would probably avoid Q-Haute as they've been pretty downhill lately. They are way too gimmicky and do a bunch of gastronomy things. Few years ago went and thought it was cool. Went this year again and they did they exact same kind of things. Almost every dish had some kind of "foam" on it and it was a let down. It wouldn't be bad if the food actually tasted incredible, but a lot of dishes were meh at best.

Been to Q-Haute a ton of times and it was really good when I went back in '08-'11. Went progressively downhill after.
I posted the exact same thoughts in another thread.

dirtsniffer
08-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Awesome. So you think allergy restrictions can be dealt with then?

HiTempguy1
08-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Man, this thread makes me feel so low-class. :cry:

I thought Murrieta's was a nice, casual place to go have a romantic dinner, but I guess I failed miserably. Got to step up my game to keep up with the ballers I guess! :banghead:

GQBalla
08-13-2014, 10:09 AM
you guys are rich, go for pho

taemo
08-13-2014, 10:19 AM
first, define romantic for you and your girlfriend and what type of food you want to have

$$$ doesn't necessarily mean better or more romantic

dirtsniffer
08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Intimate setting. Private, nice lighting, great food and drink, good service, no kids. Open to basically any type of food.

I'm not a baller, I just play one on TV. Once in a lifetime occasion though. Gotta celebrate it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Intimate setting. Private, nice lighting, great food and drink, good service, no kids. Open to basically any type of food.

I'm not a baller, I just play one on TV. Once in a lifetime occasion though. Gotta celebrate it.

Rouge :thumbsup:

Don't bother with the premium wine pairing, just get the standard one. The sommelier there told me the only reason they have the premium pairing is for people who want to say they got the premium pairing, and both are equally as good despite the price difference. I've also had them both and honestly both are fantastic, no need to spend the extra.

Also you will be drunk after, so make sure you have a ride lined up. They are generous with the wine portions.

rage2
08-13-2014, 10:58 AM
There's a half and a full one. Didn't even know there's a premium one. The full one got me wasted enough that I had to call keys please haha.

you&me
08-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Rouge patio garden. They even harvest from the garden that night for stuff that goes in your food, if you get the tasting menu. Always my #1 choice.

Bonterra has a nice patio garden too.

Teatro is awesome too.

Muse is nice and dark/romantic inside with awesome food.

If you like wine & Tapas, Candela and Vin Room are great. Vin room Mission has a roof top patio as well as romantic side-by-side seating indoors.

If you want to share, Mercato is tough to beat.

If you are looking to do a tasting menu with wine pairing:

- Chef's Table
- Rouge
- Teatro
- Q Haute
- Muse

All have been fantastic so far.

Muse closed a couple months ago and is re-opening as a steak place.

Tik-Tok
Once in a lifetime occasion though. Gotta celebrate it.

Don't worry, she lets you PIITB once, she'll let you again.

n1zm0
Once in a lifetime occasion though. Gotta celebrate it.

ooooo engagement? :D

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by you&me

Muse closed a couple months ago and is re-opening as a steak place.

Whaaaat. That sucks! It was such a great place, and underrated. Nobody ever talked about it though, that's probably why.

One of the best tasting menu's I've ever had was there.

dirtsniffer
08-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

ooooo engagement? :D

Yea buddy!

n1zm0
08-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Yea buddy!

http://www.papermag.com/uploaded_images/tumblr_malo80apsF1rtxen9o1_r1_400.gif

clem24
08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Thought I'd bump this up.. I am not a wine person at all. As an alternative, Rouge makes an AMAZING Caesar. Some kind in house vegetable infused vodka. Anyway definitely would say Rouge is easily our preferred destination. And that one French waiter is awesome LOL.

dirtsniffer
08-21-2014, 09:29 AM
good to know, might have to start with one. We will be there tomorrow night.

dirtsniffer
08-25-2014, 12:25 PM
So, myself and my now fiance went to Rouge on friday night. Had a great time.

every course of the chefs menu was excellent and enjoyable. The wine pairings were enjoyable and well matched, I would have appreciated more than 1 red wine though. We had cocktails before dinner and they were both awesome as well.

Definitely would go again.

ExtraSlow
08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Just to throw this out there, the restaurant in the Kensington Riverside Inn called "Chefs Table" does an excellent tasting menu with pairings.

Rouge is top notch as has been mentioned. Had the premium pairings, because the guy paying for it likes to buy premium shit.

clem24
08-25-2014, 01:49 PM
So, myself and my now fiance went to Rouge on friday night. Had a great time.

every course of the chefs menu was excellent and enjoyable. The wine pairings were enjoyable and well matched, I would have appreciated more than 1 red wine though. We had cocktails before dinner and they were both awesome as well.

Definitely would go again.

Well... You asked for a romantic restaurant, but the true test is afterward i.e. did she fuck your brains out/PIITB/menage-a-trois?

dirtsniffer
08-25-2014, 02:43 PM
hahah, I'm not sure the day we got engaged would be an appropriate occasion to try and swing a 3 some....

Robin Goodfellow
09-27-2014, 07:54 PM
If you want to get women's panties half off, listen to the other posters, or go to Wal Mart.

If you want to get the panties all the way off, take her to "The Casbah".

CompletelyNumb
09-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the engagement. Rouge is a great restaurant.

pyro
11-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Any recommendations for the best steak in the city?

flipstah
11-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by pyro
Any recommendations for the best steak in the city?

Vintage.

E46..sTyLez
11-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Vintage.

Roger that. +1 Wagyu steak FTMFW

clem24
11-12-2014, 02:40 PM
+1 for Vintage. $60 for a Wagyu steak before sides LOL. It's awesome though. But honestly I can make a Wagyu (now that they regularly carry it at Costco) for a fraction of that at home and just as good if not better.

It's amazing how so few steak places can actually make a good steak.

95EG6P
11-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by clem24
+1 for Vintage. $60 for a Wagyu steak before sides LOL. It's awesome though. But honestly I can make a Wagyu (now that they regularly carry it at Costco) for a fraction of that at home and just as good if not better.

It's amazing how so few steak places can actually make a good steak.

they carry wagyu at costco i never seen it there... if it is true best thing i heard all day today :clap:

clem24
11-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

they carry wagyu at costco i never seen it there... if it is true best thing i heard all day today :clap:

I took this shot back in July but they had them everytime I've been. It's imported from Australia, and it's fresh never frozen. It's. Fucking. Awesome.

turbotrip
11-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Vintage is only better if youre getting the japanese beef, otherwise for regular steaks Ruth's Chris FTW

rage2
11-12-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Vintage isn't Japanese, most likely Australian or even local Wagyu cross breed. Unless they want to lose money, because real Japanese A5 beef sells for $25 an ounce wholesale.

pyro
11-12-2014, 09:53 PM
We ended up going to Vintage and it was perfect, steak was amazing. Thanks for the suggestion!

Strider
11-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

I think it's one of those hit or miss items like the Copper River salmon.
I've only seen the wagyu at the Heritage Costco so far - NE never gets either item.

But you can also buy it online!
http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&langId=-24&refine=&keyword=kobe

Originally posted by clem24
I took this shot back in July but they had them everytime I've been. It's imported from Australia, and it's fresh never frozen. It's. Fucking. Awesome.

Do they have other cuts? I'm definitely more of a rib eye guy.

npham
11-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Strider

I've only seen the wagyu at the Heritage Costco so far - NE never gets either item.

http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&langId=-24&refine=&keyword=kobe

Only the South Costco location will ever get the premium cuts. There's only so much of it to go around so the busiest store gets the product.

flipstah
11-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm pretty sure Vintage isn't Japanese, most likely Australian or even local Wagyu cross breed. Unless they want to lose money, because real Japanese A5 beef sells for $25 an ounce wholesale.

+1. I think they say it's local wagyu.

Real wagyu is sold by thin slices haha:

http://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/wp_20130810_081.jpg

http://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/wp_20130810_079.jpg

http://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/wp_20130810_099.jpg

http://doncommando.com/2013/09/02/memoirs-of-a-gaijin-foodie-goodie/

I could use some steak right now :love:

clem24
11-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Strider

Oh yeah.. I am a rib eye guy too. Forgot I had this pic. Also Vintage is not Japanese. You will very rarely find Japanese Wagyu outside of Japan. And quite honestly, the highest grade, about $50-70 per 100g, is WAY too fatty to eat as a steak and usually eaten as shabu.

flipstah
11-13-2014, 10:09 AM
I think that's the same Wagyu source Vintage uses haha.

AzNxHyDrA
11-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I think that's the same Wagyu source Vintage uses haha.

IIRC, most calgary restaurants use local Wagyu. I know Anju uses Brant Lake and I thought I heard the guy at Vintage say that they do as well.

flipstah
11-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

IIRC, most calgary restaurants use local Wagyu. I know Anju uses Brant Lake and I thought I heard the guy at Vintage say that they do as well.

EDIT: https://www.facebook.com/calgarycoop/posts/387623991312534

Co-op sells wagyu at the deli? This I gotta see.

clem24
11-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Has anyone ordered online at Costco? I am thinking the online stuff is frozen.

Maybe a mod can move all the Wagyu talk into a new thread..

E46..sTyLez
11-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Is the Wagyu in Japan Kobe beef? Cause my understanding is that all Kobe beef is Wagyu, but not all Wagyu is Kobe. Does this make any sense??

E46..sTyLez
11-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Just found this link with a quick search:

http://www.buedelmeatup.com/2012/12/04/the-difference-between-kobe-and-wagyu-beef/

:dunno:

flipstah
11-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
Is the Wagyu in Japan Kobe beef? Cause my understanding is that all Kobe beef is Wagyu, but not all Wagyu is Kobe. Does this make any sense??

Same understanding as me. Wagyu encompasses all breeds of Japanese beef.

Kobe is a breed. Same as Matsusaka.

3drian
09-02-2015, 11:28 AM
I apologize for bumping such an old thread, but I am currently in the same position as OP.

Looking for a nice restaurant for this weekend, I will be staying at the sheraton in eau claire, and would like some recommendations of a romantic restaurant preferably withing walking distance. I want to avoid driving since we will be probably having a few drinks, That being said, I guess I could always take a cab if required.

I am currently looking at river cafe since its close, and sky 360 since we went there one and loved it, I am not familiar with new restaurants around Calgary so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tik-Tok
09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
River Cafe is always a good place, though the obsrvation deck of the tower after sunset, would be a good spot for that.

Wait... Are we still talking about piitb?

Skyline_Addict
09-02-2015, 12:02 PM
You really can't go wrong with Vintage. Oh man, I could have a 12 oz Tenderloin RIGHT NOW.

OTown
09-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Could I refer you to the quaint romantic setting of the Stephen Avenue McDonalds?

asp integra
09-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 3drian
I apologize for bumping such an old thread, but I am currently in the same position as OP.

Looking for a nice restaurant for this weekend, I will be staying at the sheraton in eau claire, and would like some recommendations of a romantic restaurant preferably withing walking distance. I want to avoid driving since we will be probably having a few drinks, That being said, I guess I could always take a cab if required.

I am currently looking at river cafe since its close, and sky 360 since we went there one and loved it, I am not familiar with new restaurants around Calgary so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Caesars is a short walk from there. Classic styling that to some would say is romantic. Best Steak in town too.
http://dinehere.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/restaurant_detail_full/sites/default/files/r_images/156847.jpg

ga16i
09-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Caesar's? I like the old school "romantic steakhouse". They even do a table side steak diane. :poosie:

rage2
09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
Caesars is a short walk from there. Classic styling that to some would say is romantic. Best Steak in town too.
It's not 1980 anymore (both to the pic, and to the best steak in town comment).

3drian
09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I really like the menu at Vintage, might make a reservation there.

Thanks beyond for all the suggestions. Now to find a way to propose before supper, this is killing me I can barely sleep at night, so nervous haha

Disoblige
09-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Propose after supper!

3drian
09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
I thought about it, walking around prince island park after super, but the nice hotel room I booked with jacuzzi, strawberries and wine would kinda give it away.

cancer man
09-04-2015, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by ga16i
Caesar's? I like the old school "romantic steakhouse". They even do a table side steak diane. :poosie:

I agree with you 100%

ickyflex
09-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Vintage

BAB Inc
09-04-2015, 12:28 PM
alloy... they did over a mill in renos not too long ago.

Tik-Tok
09-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 3drian
I thought about it, walking around prince island park after super, but the nice hotel room I booked with jacuzzi, strawberries and wine would kinda give it away.

Any chance of checking in before you go out with her? I mean honestly, the chances of you two making it to a restaurant after you pop the question is slim to none. May as well just plan room service ;)

Originally posted by BAB Inc

Nothing like a good hour of hiking back to Eau Claire after a romantic dinner :rofl:

3drian
09-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Any chance of checking in before you go out with her? I mean honestly, the chances of you two making it to a restaurant after you pop the question is slim to none. May as well just plan room service ;)

HAHA totally thought of this, that could be the case, already made the reservation at Vintage, ill call in advance if I need to cancel.
I also go the plan on how to do it before we check in.
Thanks again Beyond

E46..sTyLez
09-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Good luck man!

FraserB
09-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by BAB Inc

Short of tearing the whole place down, how did they spend $1mm in renos?

Keep in mind I love Alloy, so it's not a negative thing at all.