PDA

View Full Version : Question about HP and touque

automachine
08-13-2014, 04:16 PM
I am trying to buy a car and comparing some power and engine spec.
Here is some example.

Horsepower...........

A car - 220HP @ 4450 RPM
B car - 325HP @ 7000 RPM
C car - 302HP @ 6500 RPM

Torque..................

A car - 258 @ 1500 RPM
B car - 267 @ 5200 RPM
C car - 273 @ 3500 RPM

My question is B car's rpm is so high to make 267 T compare to A car.

A car only use 1500 RPM to make 258 T but B car use 5200 RPM to make 267 T and C car use only 3500 RPM to make 273 T which is even higher T than B but less RPM.

Is that means B car engine power is no good ??
or using too much gas??

Thank you

FunWheelDrive
08-13-2014, 04:21 PM
If gear ratios and weight was the same, car C would be the fastest car of the bunch. Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. Car A would probably be best for fuel economy as it makes most of it's torque at such a low rpm.

ExtremeSi
08-13-2014, 04:23 PM
You really have to drive them to see what the power feels like. I'm a fan of low-end torque (coming in earlier in the rpm-range) since that's where you spend most of your time. However, high-revving engines can be really fun too, so Car B sounds like it may offer a more thrilling driving experience. But really you have to drive them to see.

Car C looks like it has the most power under the curve if I were to guess. Which would feel the most powerful all around.

Tell us what the cars are and we can give you better opinions.

redline
08-13-2014, 04:32 PM
www.howstuffworks.com

spikerS
08-13-2014, 05:06 PM
good rule of thumb that makes these numbers make sense.

HP = how fast the car can go, provided it does not have a limiter or govenor of some sorts.

TQ = How fast it will get to it's max speed

The other good thing to look at is how many pounds per HP because that will also affect top speed.

so a vehicle weighing 5000lbs with 300hp has ~17lbs per HP. Another vehicle is 4500lbs with 295hp therefore ~15lbs per HP.

Everything else being equal, the second car will be faster than the first.

Xtrema
08-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Let me guess.....

Car A - Audi with a 2.0T
Car B - Infiniti with a 3.7L VQ
Car C - Merc with a 3.5L

Am I close?

Drive them because the transmission will play a major factor on how they feel.

Do you want power or fuel economy? Are you stuck in traffic a lot? If you are, higher numbers at lower RPM are more 'usable'.

If you can find a dyno curve for these cars, the more are the curve covers, the better it feels.

The VW/Audi 2.0T is very efficient around town. But since it only has a single turbo, when you floor it, you will feel a bit of lag before power get delivered.

xnvy
08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
B is probably going to be like my car, slow as hell but a blast to drive. Then again, if it's a sedan it might not be a blast. The joy of a slow car comes at being able to drive it at 10/10ths everywhere and not get tickets, a floaty sedan might not be good for that.

A would probably be the best daily driver looking at the powerband.

C would be the fastest. This seems to be the consensus of the thread anyways. :dunno:

g-m
08-13-2014, 06:32 PM
I'd think B would be fastest given equal weight and transmission. Did anyone actually read the howstuffworks? Torque can be compensated for with gearing but hp can't. hp> tq

xnvy
08-13-2014, 07:03 PM
For a daily driver sedan, tq>hp. Sure, B might be better at passing cars on a two lane highway but A will run away after a red light. Which situation are you in more often?

automachine
08-13-2014, 07:58 PM
A car is Audi Q5,
B car is Infiniti QX50
C car is Benz GLK 350 4 matic.

I like to buy a crossover, I was considering on Audi Q3 and Benz GLA but Q3 was much different as Q5.
I am considering of course price, fuel consumption and look good in and out.....so on.
Any recommand??

Sugarphreak
08-13-2014, 09:11 PM

killramos
08-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
FYI: You shouldn't be comparing the Q5 with the 2.0T to the GLK 350.... the Diesel GLK is cheaper and therefore a lot closer to the price of the 2.0T and similar in power feel. I think Merc diesel is over 400ft-lbs of torque for the GLK too.

BMW X3 with the 2.0T should be in there as well

Personally I test drove a ton of these smaller cute-utes and I ended up with a 2014 Q5. No regrets at all, it pulls like you wouldn't believe on the highway, hell it literally just idles up the steepest hills that make most cars sweat and bog down on. Plus is very nice to drive in the city with all that low end torque. I love it.

This, Audi has really slumped in the engine department as of late. The 3.0T and 2.0T are great but there is no midway. 2.0T was a perfect fit for a GTI, and way to small for anything bigger. Since you are comparing engines i assume you care about this.

Hence the S5/S4 not really being competitive with... well anything. Been propped up by Quattro for to long.

Xtrema
08-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by killramos

This, Audi has really slumped in the engine department as of late. The 3.0T and 2.0T are great but there is no midway. 2.0T was a perfect fit for a GTI, and way to small for anything bigger. Since you are comparing engines i assume you care about this.

Hence the S5/S4 not really being competitive with... well anything. Been propped up by Quattro for to long.

The 2.0T is fine. All 3 cars listed has the same/similar 0-60. But yes, Audi's 2.0T has been leapfrogged by others but still adequate.

Also, the 2.0T is probably the most fuel efficient of the 3 listed.

automachine
08-15-2014, 03:24 PM
If you have a choice, what would you buy your next car among these cars? and why?