PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Vancouver - Best places to stop?

Strider
08-13-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm planning on a road trip to Vancouver on the long weekend, leaving at 5am and taking 2 stops along the way (for gas, washroom, food, coffee, etc.)

Normally we'd pack a sandwich and drive out in one straight shot with one nascar style pit stop for gas, but my mom and puppy are joining us for this trip.

Any noteworthy places to stop along the way for breakfast / lunch (not sightseeing)?

slinkie
08-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I'm planning on a road trip to Vancouver on the long weekend, leaving at 5am and taking 2 stops along the way (for gas, washroom, food, coffee, etc.)

Normally we'd pack a sandwich and drive out in one straight shot with one nascar style pit stop for gas, but my mom and puppy are joining us for this trip.

Any noteworthy places to stop along the way for breakfast / lunch (not sightseeing)?

I just got back from this trip.

Since I didn't really stop much, all I can contribute is don't get gas in Golden if you can help it, 94 octane was like 171.4. All the prices in Golden are jacked up by $0.15+ compared to all the other towns on the route.

Also for any slammed cars considering this trip, the roads on HWY 1+Coq are totally perfect right now, both ways. Any bumps are construction related and have a lot of warning signs.

killramos
08-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Gas is cheap in enderby. If you want a more leisurely trip you could satay a night in Kelowna. Super nice.

Salmon arm isn't to bad, I'm sure there is something's decent to eat / see?

Feruk
08-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Denny's in Revelstoke, gas station in Kamloops.

bigbadboss101
08-13-2014, 09:36 PM
We are leaving this Saturday. On the way there we might see if there are place we can stay near Salmon Arm. Trip Advisor has nothing available. I am going to check VRBO. On the way back we will stay couple nights in Kelowna. Both of those places are nice. You can also stop at Revelstoke or Kamloops. Not exactly what I considered touristy places but nice small town.

n1zm0
08-14-2014, 08:58 AM
When we stop in Revelstoke to get gas, we usually get food from Nomad Food Co. and eat it in the car or on a bench before we leave, pretty good place.

C_Dave45
08-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Whenever we travel to Vancouver we always do it in one shot. Gas stop in Salmon Arm and then on into Van.

If you want to stay a night, a decent hotel in Salmon Arm is the Podolan Inn
http://www.podollan.com/
Clean rooms, not bad rates, and a nice pool with pool side bar service. Ground floor rooms are cool as they open up right onto the pool with neat little water fountains.

Going through the Kelowna route on the way back adds a couple of hours driving time, but nice driving along the lake. Heading west is easier as you gain an hour. Coming home seems like a longer drive because of the time change.

Kelowna is nice, but expensive.
Doesn't really matter where you stop, gas is going to be up in the 130's.

We usually do the Calgary-Van route in about 10 hours driving, with an hour or so stopping for gas and a decent lunch. BP's, Subway, etc. Nothing fancy. We always drive the Coq, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, etc, etc. The only time we do the Kelowna connector route is if we're stopping overnight to visit friends in Vernon.

Sugarphreak
08-14-2014, 09:39 PM

project240
08-14-2014, 10:45 PM
If you have kids, the enchanted forest just outside revelstoke is definitely worth a visit. We have been there a couple of times and our kids love it.

atgilchrist
08-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Stop for food at Bahama John's in Sicamous. Run by a 7ft tall Bahamian dude, killer food!

Strider
08-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Judging by the responses, sounds like my OP wasn't that clear...

Not looking to stay a night anywhere or do any sightseeing, just want to get to Vancouver as fast as possible.

But I will need to make a couple stops for food/coffee and a stretch, so if there's any noteworthy places to eat along the way, that would be a bonus.

Originally posted by n1zm0
When we stop in Revelstoke to get gas, we usually get food from Nomad Food Co. and eat it in the car or on a bench before we leave, pretty good place.

Checked this place out, looks good... but if I leave at 5am as planned, I'll be passing through Revelstoke before this place opens at 11.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Lots to see along the way, normally you just stop when you get hungry or need fuel... if you can hold out until Kamloops that is great, but top up in Banff to get as far as possible.

In terms of hotels, Revelstoke is also the cheapest by far and they have two wicked sushi places. Seriously, some of the best sushi in BC can be had in Revelstoke.

Kamloops should be doable fuel wise, I'll have to see how mom and puppy hold up.

Sushi breakfast in Revelstoke could be interesting... any place in particular?

Sugarphreak
08-15-2014, 08:58 AM