PDA

View Full Version : Wood Countertops

LOLzilla
08-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Hey beyond,

Aside from the Ikea butcher block is there anywhere else to get wood counter tops? Looking for Zebra wood specifically.

blitz
08-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Any zebra wood you can get will be veneer and therefore very susceptible to damage. You'd need something like a heavy duty Epoxy or similar to protect it. Would definitely be a custom job.

suntan
08-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Poor zebra. First killed and then made into wood.

roopi
08-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by suntan

Not sure why I did but :rofl:

XylathaneGTR
08-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Any zebra wood you can get will be veneer and therefore very susceptible to damage. You'd need something like a heavy duty Epoxy or similar to protect it. Would definitely be a custom job. I found solid Zebra wood stock at Windsor in the NE a month ago...not a lot but they can order in.
I doubt OP will find anything pre-made out of an exotic hardwood.

schurchill39
08-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by suntan
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Signatured :thumbsup:

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
I found solid Zebra wood stock at Windsor in the NE a month ago...not a lot but they can order in.
I doubt OP will find anything pre-made out of an exotic hardwood.

Plus its super expensive and a very hard wood. I had a guy at work who made a bunch of wine holders out of Zebra wood and he said the amount of bits and blades he went through were ridiculous.

project240
08-16-2014, 01:41 PM
If you plan to use it as a butcher block, zebra wood is a terrible choice. For looks only, it will be ok. I'm sure you know have looked into costs, be prepared... Zebra wood is expensive

LOLzilla
08-17-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm up for some ideas of a darker wood with a pretty different wood grain.

http://www.floform.com/

Has a pretty good selection I'm going to check out this week.

project240
08-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Do you plan to cut on it? I can suggest several, but depends on whether it needs to be "food safe"