PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a Golf R - Any word on when it's coming out?

EmmDotEnn
08-14-2014, 11:18 AM
See title.

Any insider news would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

nickyh
08-14-2014, 11:35 AM
most likely delivery in Jan-2015.

lilmira
08-14-2014, 11:37 AM
That beats the delivery of S3 with SS seats ffs. May be I should abandon ship now. :banghead:

Aleks
08-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by EmmDotEnn
See title.

Any insider news would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Golf R coming as a 2016 Model Year in Q2 2015.
GTI Performance pkg available to order late fall for January 2015 delivery.

killramos
08-14-2014, 11:46 AM
You will want to put a down payment down to reserve. Words are cheap. What you need is a contract.

EmmDotEnn
08-14-2014, 12:28 PM
I talked this one guy at the dealership (the 5th ave VW) and he said that the waiting list doesn't guarantee you get the model you want, which somewhat bugs me.

Are any of you guys on that waiting list?

rage2
08-14-2014, 01:09 PM
My brother just dropped off the list at 5th Ave., although I'm sure that just moves the next guy up. It was pretty frustrating on that list for him, there was zero info, no confirmation if he had a car, and no confirmation of colors options or anything like that.

The Regina dealership had 1 allocation remaining the last time I checked, still available for ordering your exact specs and options. Ask for Jenn and tell her I sent you.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-14-2014, 01:23 PM
My dad was looking for info for a while and finally gave up. Dealers still have no info really.

EmmDotEnn
08-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
My brother just dropped off the list at 5th Ave., although I'm sure that just moves the next guy up. It was pretty frustrating on that list for him, there was zero info, no confirmation if he had a car, and no confirmation of colors options or anything like that.

The Regina dealership had 1 allocation remaining the last time I checked, still available for ordering your exact specs and options. Ask for Jenn and tell her I sent you.

Thanks Rage2!

RX_EVOLV
08-14-2014, 03:27 PM
And still no words on pricing right?

The last Golf R started at $39,999 but manual transmission so I wonder how much the new one with the DSG will cost. I'm interested in getting one but I can't wrap my head around paying close to $50K for a golf if the new Rs are going to be a few grand more expensive...

Sorath
08-14-2014, 03:33 PM
been waiting a long time. no info, i heard from a dealer that we wont get it till fall -winter of 2015 as a 2016 model. tried to preorder one and the sales guy didnt get back to me a couple months ago

killramos
08-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
My dad was looking for info for a while and finally gave up. Dealers still have no info really.

This^

I inquired time and time again whenever my GTI was in for service. Never a scrap of info, or they would tell me it's being built in Mexico or something stupid.

Both me and my dad want one I just can't deal with the lack of information from VW. It's not sales fault, Volkswagen should stop screwing with people by teasing cars that are so far from ready.

The M235i I was able to walk into the dealer after seeing it at the auto show and signed on the line 2 hours later. :dunno:

Amazing different experiences though, 2 threads up people were whining about it being impossible to quickly deal with bmw :nut:

schocker
08-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Yeah, tons of info on the S3 but nothing on the Golf R. I would be interested in both, but having that hatch and thousands less might be a big tilt towards the R over the S.

killramos
08-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Yeah, tons of info on the S3 but nothing on the Golf R. I would be interested in both, but having that hatch and thousands less might be a big tilt towards the R over the S.

Yea its gorgeous to. Golf R's are one of the greatest cars of late.

Errol.
08-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Last I heard was summer next year. Haven't heard one solid date on it though. I reserved my spot beginning of this year.

nickyh
08-14-2014, 07:38 PM
I was 6th on the list at 5th Ave but dropped out a while ago, I'll keep my current ride longer. Golf R willbe a regular production model so i can wait a while longer.
I doubt they will have much info to release until late October / November which would give them 3-4 month production lead time.

LUCKYSTRIKE
08-14-2014, 10:18 PM
3rd quarter of 2015 according to VW reps:

RE: 2016 Golf R

Ref#: 140571367

Dear Mr. McKenzie,

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada regarding the 2016 Golf R. Your file has been forwarded to my desk and I am happy to be able to respond to your inquiry.

The 2016 Golf R is expected to launch in the third quarter of 2015. Details, including available colours for this model, will become available closer to the launch date. For updates you may visit our website www.vw.ca or consult with a local authorized Volkswagen dealership.

Should you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us through our Customer Care Center at (800) 822-8987. In addition, you may receive a short survey by e-mail regarding your experience with Customer Relations. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important, as it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Lumattie Chinebas

Customer Relations / Service à la clientèle

VOLKSWAGEN GROUP CANADA INC.

Email : [email protected]

Toll Free / Sans Frais: 1-800-822-8987

Fax / Télécopieur: 1-905-428-5867

I think the only option at launch is going to be color since there wont be any manual till later in the year.

lilmira
08-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Wasn't the last one fully loaded with no options anyway other than colours? and they were limited in Canada so pretty much each dealer would get a certain number of each colour and that was it.

FullFledgedYYC
08-17-2014, 11:29 AM
These cars will be not be limited production, they will be built to order. Your options are color and transmission. Color options have not been made available yet. As for DSG coming before manual, that's not confirmed either but I would assume it will be like the GTI, they both came at about the same time.

Other then that, that letter is exactly what was told to GM's of dealers.

Now you know as much as we know.

Boostn
08-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
And still no words on pricing right?

The last Golf R started at $39,999 but manual transmission so I wonder how much the new one with the DSG will cost. I'm interested in getting one but I can't wrap my head around paying close to $50K for a golf if the new Rs are going to be a few grand more expensive...

I'm also thinking the same thing, a fully loaded GTI is already hovering at $40K list price. I assume the R would start around the $45K range and up. I'm interested in one as well but at that price it will compete against a myriad of other options including the S3.

flipstah
08-17-2014, 05:18 PM
I wonder how allocation will take into account when there are two transmissions being offered.

schocker
08-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
I'm also thinking the same thing, a fully loaded GTI is already hovering at $40K list price. I assume the R would start around the $45K range and up. I'm interested in one as well but at that price it will compete against a myriad of other options including the S3.
Why would the R start at $45k, no one would buy it if the S3 is $44k?

Aleks
08-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Price should remain around 40K for loaded manual and 41.5K for loaded DSG. Loaded GTI in manual 4 dr is $34.5K now, DSG is 36K.

The only thing that would make the R prices creep closer to 44k is the PP pricing structure on the GTI. Should know what that looks like next month or two.

Boostn
08-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Why would the R start at $45k, no one would buy it if the S3 is $44k?

I see what you mean, it was just a guess. Maybe they will start around the low $40K range then. Even so that's not much of a price gap to the S3. That $44K is probably a base S3 as well. We all know what happens when you start loading up the options on luxury Euro cars lol. So the consideration would be fully loaded Golf R vs base S3 for around $45K. Will the S3 eventually be available in hatch trim also?

schocker
08-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
I see what you mean, it was just a guess. Maybe they will start around the low $40K range then. Even so that's not much of a price gap to the S3. That $44K is probably a base S3 as well. We all know what happens when you start loading up the options on luxury Euro cars lol. So the consideration would be fully loaded Golf R vs base S3 for around $45K. Will the S3 eventually be available in hatch trim also?
Correct, S3 loaded would be $53k, but with tons of goodies, there are plenty one could live without. I think the last R did uncercut the loaded GTI though, I thought it had always been about $45k OTD. Base S3 is not really base though as S models are only mid and high trims, so it comes with tons of good stuff. Hatch though, I would say no unless US market starts selling more hatches then they could bring it to NA. I would think the R will have to handle the hatch for VAG.

heavyD
08-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Price should remain around 40K for loaded manual and 41.5K for loaded DSG. Loaded GTI in manual 4 dr is $34.5K now, DSG is 36K.

The only thing that would make the R prices creep closer to 44k is the PP pricing structure on the GTI. Should know what that looks like next month or two.

Where are you getting those GTI prices. I recall pricing one out with DSG a month ago and it running over $40k. S3 starts at $44 so I don't know how they are going to fit in the R and make it worth purchasing over the S3.

schocker
08-18-2014, 11:58 AM
^^^ I am guessing they will have options available since everything is ordered so that it can maybe sticker at $40 but then nav etc would bring it closer to the S3?

Aleks
08-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Where are you getting those GTI prices. I recall pricing one out with DSG a month ago and it running over $40k. S3 starts at $44 so I don't know how they are going to fit in the R and make it worth purchasing over the S3.

vw.ca

GTI 5 door is $32,895
DSG $1,400
Leather $1,095
Nav $695

Edit: When you priced it, you might have looked at Ontario on the road price which is what VW.ca defaults to. When people say S3 starts at 44k that's car's price not including fees and GST. To compare apples to apples a loaded GTI is ~36k with DSG.

Mibz
08-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
vw.ca

GTI 5 door is $32,895
DSG $1,400
Leather $1,095
Nav $695 To expand on this (AND I ACTUALLY REMEMBERED TO PICK ALBERTA THIS TIME):

Base Price $32,895.00
My Options $3,190.00
Freight & PDI $1,395.00
Fees & Taxes $1,979.00
Total $39,459.00
If you pick Ontario then there's an additional $3,000 in fees and taxes.
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/r9BIsrSPRFY/0.jpg

Like Aleks's edit says, car to car we're talking about an $8,000 difference between the loaded GTi and base S3, which could put the R right around $40,000 before extra costs. Since it should also come loaded (pure guess), there will be far less option cost than the S3 as well. I'm guessing we'll see a $10,000 difference between a loaded R and loaded S3 out the door.

Aleks
08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
They really should make you put in your postal code or pick province before spitting out OTR price. People live outside Ontario. I wonder if a quick look online makes a lot of potential buyers see that 44k price for GTI and just move on haha.

heavyD
08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
The real question is who's going to buy an STI when the R and S3 are in the ballpark? Loaded STI is $45k now before fees and GST.:eek: You are getting more than decade old engine and AWD for that price.

jacky4566
08-18-2014, 01:19 PM
The real question is who's going to buy an STI when the R and S3 are in the ballpark? Loaded STI is $45k now before fees and GST.:eek: You are getting more than decade old engine and AWD for that price.

Because Boxer...
I don't think anyone is buying the new STI with the same old EJ engine. WRX is the clear winner.

schocker
08-18-2014, 01:51 PM

That s3 vs sti review, looks like the sti would be a better drive, but the equipment and interior would make me choose the R or S3 10/10 times :burnout:

LUCKYSTRIKE
08-18-2014, 01:55 PM
My guess is around the 40k mark, def not below it, maybe 41 or 42k? they wont have any options besides auto, they will come loaded. Much higher then 40k and you're all of a sudden in S3 territory.

faiz999
08-18-2014, 02:57 PM

i think the residual value is the main reason, no?

personally, i'd get the R over both but im willing to see what the new 2.0L sti will be like next year.

heavyD
08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by faiz999

i think the residual value is the main reason, no?

personally, i'd get the R over both but im willing to see what the new 2.0L sti will be like next year.

FYI there won't be a 2.0L STI next year.