PDA

View Full Version : oil and gas career

Faolchu
08-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Hi,
Wondering if you could advise me,looking to change career to oil and gas,especially in a role where I deal with people,going over contracts,making new business deals,can you advise?also would Russian or German or French be seen as an asset in a role such as the above?

CompletelyNumb
08-14-2014, 05:20 PM
What's your education and experience?

Faolchu
08-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
What's your education and experience?
I haven't third level qualifications, I have admin,office experience with military and some law enforcement

Sugarphreak
08-14-2014, 06:10 PM

killramos
08-14-2014, 06:16 PM
For what you are describing, you better have an in unless you have a degree.

Not saying you need the degree to get the job (it's not like it's a regulated field) but why wouldn't someone hire someone who at least has a degree.

Basically you need to take whatever job you can to get your foot in the door.

I have seen people come on as receptionists for that reason.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but meh.

FraserB
08-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Yeah, you're going to need to either go get a degree or start low and show that you don't need a degree to do a job usually filled by someone with one.

For info, contracts people will usually have a B.Comm or a legal background (not the kind you get as a cop) and a lot of business development people have their P.Eng, working towards said P.Eng or have a B.Comm

bigbadboss101
08-14-2014, 08:37 PM
If it's up your alley Suncor has positions for Buyers or Contract Administrators.

16hypen3sp
08-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Most places up north want power engineers. But in some parts of plants its not required. Send your resume and keep sending it... you never know... you might get the call. I know lots of people up north that did it this way.

And, most guys with military experience work in the mine. Can't say as to why, but they all go for Heavy Haul Driver jobs.

FraserB
08-15-2014, 07:44 AM
The only position that being a power engineer is really required for is an operator.

If OP wanted an office type job, there are people with his background in corporate security. (Not the security guard jobs)

403ep3
08-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
If it's up your alley Suncor has positions for Buyers or Contract Administrators.

With no real experience in the sector he/she might have a problem even getting an interview for those jobs.

Mitsu3000gt
08-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Most places won't even look at you without a degree (even though you aren't likely to use anything you learned once hired). It basically shows them you're competent. Start with that IMO, or you'll always be second pick to everyone else who applies.

austic
08-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3

With no real experience in the sector he/she might have a problem even getting an interview for those jobs.

Pretty much, get a degree or shoot really low.

E46..sTyLez
08-15-2014, 10:47 AM
I would start by using proper grammar and punctuation ;)

Faolchu
08-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
I would start by using proper grammar and punctuation ;)
Thanks for your sage advice,I bow to your wisdom and intellect.

Faolchu
08-15-2014, 11:57 AM
To everyone else that managed to give reasonable and helpful replies,would a BComm with Russian,French or German be beneficial?if so what language would be more marketable for oil and gas?

FraserB
08-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Getting in, knowing a languages probably won't matter. They'll look at education and then work experience, multi-lingual isn't a huge seller since everything is done in English.

E46..sTyLez
08-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Faolchu

Thanks for your sage advice,I bow to your wisdom and intellect.

Hahaha I was just kidding bud, relax.

Sugarphreak
08-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Mitsu3000gt
08-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Faolchu
To everyone else that managed to give reasonable and helpful replies,would a BComm with Russian,French or German be beneficial?if so what language would be more marketable for oil and gas?

A BComm would be great. I wouldn't rely too much on your language experience though, that part isn't important for most roles. It's better than not having it, but I don't think most people will care.

403ep3
08-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Whenever I look at postings, at my company and others, I don't really see bilingual anywhere in the description.

If I were you I would list and highlight education and most importantly, experience.

killramos
08-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Yea languages isn't super beneficial in oil and gas. Everything is done in eng,ish with the exception of a few Asian companies. The big markets and investment firms are all English.

Maybe I languages would be useful as a negotiator for a company that works in an area speaking those languages.

Shell, Exxon, or Total come to mind.

Still like I said there are really 3 ways to go about this

A) Know someone (based on your post I think this one is out the window)

B) Have a bachelors degree of some kind and relevance

C) Start as basically the janitor in order to accomplish A)

8baller8
08-26-2014, 11:05 AM
If OP is a hot chick, he'd get hired instantly making 45-50K as an admin assistant which is good considering for most other industries they make like 30-35K.

Put it this way OP, even though I have a BComm and some solid outside professional experience, energy companies aren't exactly knocking down my door to interview/hire me. I've probably applied for about 35 positions total, and interviewed for 2. That should tell you something.

You need to have an in somehow or upgrade your education. There's a few energy related courses at MRU you can probably take.

Faolchu
08-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by 8baller8
If OP is a hot chick, he'd get hired instantly making 45-50K as an admin assistant which is good considering for most other industries they make like 30-35K.

Put it this way OP, even though I have a BComm and some solid outside professional experience, energy companies aren't exactly knocking down my door to interview/hire me. I've probably applied for about 35 positions total, and interviewed for 2. That should tell you something.

You need to have an in somehow or upgrade your education. There's a few energy related courses at MRU you can probably take.
Not a chick sorry to say haha,would a joint venture analyst course at MRU be worth it to make me somewhat more marketable in oil and gas?

topmade
08-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Apply for OG admin positions to get your foot in the door. When you land a job start taking some courses. If you are lucky the company will pay for these. When done try to transfer internally or apply to other companies for the role you are looking for. Don't bite more then you can chew cause this is what you are trying to do with your current experience. And sorry I don't see speaking those other languages much of a benefit unless the company you are applying at deals heavily with those languages. But hey if they don't hire you, with your military experience just say a few things in russian in a stern manner before you leave and that should put some fear in them haha.

XylathaneGTR
08-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by 8baller8
And this guy went to haskayne, bro!
That should tell you something!

3drian
09-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Hey guys I have a quick question sort of related to this topic, I am a new grad with an MIS degree, and I recently started to contemplate the idea of getting a job in Calgary.

Question is, do I have to check the companies career's websites (which I have been doing) or is there other third parties websites that post all the positions? something like Indeed but for Oil and Gas companies. Any advice?

Thanks in advance