PDA

View Full Version : Commuting to DT from New Brighton/Copperfield/Cranston

SmAcKpOo
08-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi All,

I am looking to buy in and around December and I want to buy a single family home.

Since housing prices for newer builds are more affordable in the New Brighton/Copperfield/Cranston area, I think that is where I am looking to go.

I work right off of 7th ave Downtown, how exactly would I commute to work?

feeder bus to Somerset, train in to DT?

How do some of you guys do it?

Thanks,

n1zm0
08-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Isn't there a 'rapid' bus line that runs from that area to DT? I know my dad took the 103 or something when we lived in Mckenzie and it went directly DT.

DENZILDON
08-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Isn't there a 'rapid' bus line that runs from that area to DT? I know my dad took the 103 or something when we lived in Mckenzie and it went directly DT.

This! Mind you, unlike the train, if get stuck in traffic, your stuck!

Some of my friends drive towards the SW train line, park and ride the train.

r3ccOs
08-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

This! Mind you, unlike the train, if get stuck in traffic, your stuck!

Some of my friends drive towards the SW train line, park and ride the train.

I'd say a good majority of those who commute DT who have a car, drive downtown rather than thake the 302 to McKenzie towne.

I do, it saves me at least 20 minutes if not closer to half an hour from having to drive to a bus stop.

Why they ignored the blatent requirement for a large portion of the City to have a train solution is beyond me.

nissanK
08-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I commute from McKenize Towne to 9th ave every morning. Go up Stoney to 16th, cross over to center street.

Still takes 45min but I avoid 90% of the Macleod, Glenmore, Deerfoot backups. Very consistant everyday.

Now of course thats driving opposed to train or bus....

Mitsu3000gt
08-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I suggest you doing that commute a few times, especially in the winter, before you set roots there. You will spend roughly 20-30 days of your life (24/7) every year commuting, if you live that far from DT and use transit. That is something I simply cannot wrap my head around.

Everyone I know in the deep South (I have 11 friends who live there currently) gets up at ~5AM, gets home at ~7PM, and goes to bed at 9 or 10 PM. They do not have parking DT, and use transit. They have no time to do anything except on weekends because they want to relax and have dinner when they get home with their 2-3 hours of free time before they do it all over again. I never see them.

Another fun fact is it's over 40 degrees C on hot summer days on all the non air conditioned buses and trains, which is most of them.

All I'm saying is be 1000000% sure you are OK with how bad your commutes will be, and how much time you will spend on transit, which is one of the most unpleasant possible places to be at any point in time.

I actually had a lot picked out in Cranston, and moved downtown instead after I tested out the commute a few times.

If you get up crazy early and have parking in the core, you will be a lot better off, but don't underestimate just how bad transit is. Also you may not want to leave your car parked at a train station all day every day. If you are willing to travel in non-peak times as well it will make a significant difference.

The South neighborhoods are gorgeous, and one of the few places you can actually build a house without $1M, however if you work downtown give it some serious thought.

E46..sTyLez
08-15-2014, 04:20 PM
I live in that area, and my wife takes a direct bus to downtown. The stop is 2 minutes walk from our house.

xnvy
08-15-2014, 04:46 PM
If you work in downtown Cranston sucks. I work by the U of C and drive to work everyday. Shifted my hours so I start and leave work 1 hour later, reduces the commute to 30 minutes each way.

thinmyster
08-15-2014, 10:32 PM
I do the commute but I work a 6-6 shift. Im up at 430, leave my house at ~5:10 drive to the bridlewood station, usually on the train and gone by 5:20-5:30. Off at 4th street station and walk to 3ave by 6am. Sometimes I have time to stop for a coffee other times I do not. The good thing about my shift is there is ALWAYS plenty of seats on the train. And I figure, early/late enough that I miss most of the delays..

Obviously at 5:15am deerfoot would clear and i could probably make it in 20mins but I can't justify the 25-40$ parking yet.

4doorj
08-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
I live in that area, and my wife takes a direct bus to downtown. The stop is 2 minutes walk from our house.
This!
My bus stop is next door hahaha. Walk over to neighbors house. 30-40 mins sleep, wake up in downtown.
This is the few times I take the bus.
But sooo handy.
Bus is 151 new brighton express

JamMan23
08-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Everyone I know in the deep South (I have 11 friends who live there currently) gets up at ~5AM, gets home at ~7PM, and goes to bed at 9 or 10 PM. They do not have parking DT, and use transit. They have no time to do anything except on weekends because they want to relax and have dinner when they get home with their 2-3 hours of free time before they do it all over again. I never see them

I don't know what your friends are doing, I live south of 22X and work downtown, I take the train. I wake up at 6 and get home at 5:20 (consistently). Most of the trains now have AC (not all). I would never drive downtown, that kind of stop and go traffic is bad for your mental health IMO, but I don't mind the train at all (I watch TV)

jwslam
08-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by JamMan23
I would never drive downtown, that kind of stop and go traffic is bad for your mental health IMO, but I don't mind the train at all (I watch TV)
I live on the opposite end in Hidden Valley. ~50min transit, and ~30min drive, but I rage SO much in traffic. SOOO much. And the manual transmission, argh.

superflychief
08-18-2014, 09:16 AM
I live in Copperfield and drive every day. I leave about 6:20 and am at my desk on 5th ave and 3rd St SE by 7 or so. This also includes a 10-12 min. walk from my parking spot. The drive works out to about 30 min. and not much longer in the winter. I drive up 52nd to 114th ave, right on Barlow and then get off on Sheppard Road. Sheppard Rd turns into Ogden road which takes you all the way to Inglewood, just across the river from DT. Super easy and hardly any traffic in the mornings.

4doorj
08-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by superflychief
I live in Copperfield and drive every day. I leave about 6:20 and am at my desk on 5th ave and 3rd St SE by 7 or so. This also includes a 10-12 min. walk from my parking spot. The drive works out to about 30 min. and not much longer in the winter. I drive up 52nd to 114th ave, right on Barlow and then get off on Sheppard Road. Sheppard Rd turns into Ogden road which takes you all the way to Inglewood, just across the river from DT. Super easy and hardly any traffic in the mornings.
If you leave just 10 mins earlier it makes a huge difference. I usually leave at like 6:05 to 6:10, if I'm late like 10 mins or so it makes a huge difference in traffic.
Leaving this early I take deerfoot, usually pretty good.