PDA

View Full Version : 6 second garage break in technique.

civic_stylez
08-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey kids,

I have a few good friends on the CPS and they have told me that this trend is becoming more popular with garage break ins. They are now showing the video before roll calls as thieves are gaining access to garages and homes with no visible signs of entry leaving people confused as to how they got in. This is particularly scary for attached garages.

Not sure if it is a repost but if it is im sharing again as im a total security nazi after having my garage broken into a few years ago.

kSO_HTBHLFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

killramos
08-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Hey kids,

I have a few good friends on the CPS and they have told me that this trend is becoming more popular with garage break ins. They are now showing the video before roll calls as thieves are gaining access to garages and homes with no visible signs of entry leaving people confused as to how they got in. This is particularly scary for attached garages.

Not sure if it is a repost but if it is im sharing again as im a total security nazi after having my garage broken into a few years ago.

kSO_HTBHLFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

And here I thought it was gunna be another how to break in a new engine thread :rofl:

I have always thought about putting padlocks on a bottoms corner to prevent lifting when I'm away on vacation etc.

Good video!

JVR1
08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
:werd: good vid. definitely worth sharing.

benyl
08-18-2014, 03:53 PM
I've know about this for years. I was so pissed when windows in the top garage panel were required on my home as an architectural control. I have mine zip tied which totally defeats the purpose of having a quick release.

DeleriousZ
08-18-2014, 03:53 PM
That's a great idea until the rope snaps when you're trying to release the latch in an emergency.

Sugarphreak
08-18-2014, 03:57 PM

civic_stylez
08-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
That's a great idea until the rope snaps when you're trying to release the latch in an emergency.

My view is that you have a better chance of someone trying to break into your garage than requiring the emergency release for its actual use. I have never needed the emergency release. Just me though.

Xtrema
08-18-2014, 04:01 PM
0 windows, and no side doors into my garage. That's the way I like it.

And really, side doors are still the preferred method because you got more time and hidden away from view. When I used to have side door, I nail 3 2x4s over it so it won't open.

big A
08-18-2014, 04:58 PM
I removed the rope on move in day about twelve years ago. I may add that zip to soon.

It makes me wonder how many people lock the house-garage door, I do.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

If you do the zip tie mod, you can replace the stock cord with a short length of Amsteel or Dynaglide or similar high-strength cordage if you're worried about breakage.

Thanks for posting the video OP! Going to pass that one on for sure.

Kaos
08-18-2014, 05:12 PM
This would be a good option to have as well if you had glass windows at the top of your garage.

http://allcountydoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/garage-door-vacation-lock.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
08-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
This would be a good option to have as well if you had glass windows at the top of your garage.

http://allcountydoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/garage-door-vacation-lock.jpg

True, but it's pretty inconvenient if it's a regularly-used door. Mine are all padlocked in a similar fashion when not in use.

AndyL
08-18-2014, 09:07 PM
It's really not that easy... I've tried - you need an over tall opening (most are under) even hooking it - the angles usually wrong to disconnect chamberlain products - genie you have a chance.

8500 with the solenoid lock FTW ;) (no I'm still in McMurray)

Tik-Tok
08-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I don't know why anyone has a clear window in their garage door to begin with. Even if you're required by architectural controls, I'd either tint the windows, frost the windows, or cover the view with black painted boards on the inside.

Stealth22
08-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks for sharing! :eek: :thumbsup:

Kloubek
08-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I don't know why anyone has a clear window in their garage door to begin with. Even if you're required by architectural controls, I'd either tint the windows, frost the windows, or cover the view with black painted boards on the inside.

Really? For some, that's the only source of light so covering them up makes it really dark inside. At my house, I have no windows at all around the garage and it's nearly pitch black at all times. I'd love to have windows in the door. (This issue aside)

ICEBERG
08-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Good vid. :thumbsup:

taemo
08-19-2014, 03:34 PM
meh, we lock our garage door to the house anyway and really, if I were a thief I would rather smash one of the rear windows of the house or basement.

also, we had to use the manual latch 1 month in our new place as the motor failed.

civic_stylez
08-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Really? For some, that's the only source of light so covering them up makes it really dark inside. At my house, I have no windows at all around the garage and it's nearly pitch black at all times. I'd love to have windows in the door. (This issue aside)

Im the same way. I would love windows on my garage to let light in. If it wouldnt make me a nervous wreck knowing people could see in, id be all over it.

schurchill39
08-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
8500 with the solenoid lock FTW

This! I have this set up and its as slick as loon shit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
08-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39

This! I have this set up and its as slick as loon shit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How much did it cost to get it installed? I was considering the 8500 to leave me more room for a lift.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-24-2014, 10:19 AM
I kept meaning to look into this, thanks for the video, I will ziptie them the next time I'm in my garage!

The floor jack method worries me but if they are that motivated, they can have anything they want.

drtoohotty1
08-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
It's really not that easy... I've tried - you need an over tall opening (most are under) even hooking it - the angles usually wrong to disconnect chamberlain products - genie you have a chance.

8500 with the solenoid lock FTW ;) (no I'm still in McMurray)

+2 for having the 8500 and the Gateway ultimate garage control :thumbsup: Thanks AndyL

Tik-Tok
08-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

You just need more ceiling lighting.

I have three windows on my garage (none facing the alley though), but in winter I board them up for heat savings, however I have 12 (double bulb) fluorescent fixtures to keep it nice a bright in the winter. I'm also planning to hook them up to a relay, so when one of the garage doors open, it doesn't just turn on the door opener light, but all of them.

I also have an (illegal) alarm system on motion sensor. If anyone is in the garage, a pair of 120db sirens start blaring in my backyard :rofl:

Nitro5
08-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Detached garage FTW. If they wanted in its not like booting the man door would stop them so playing around with a metal hanger is the least of my worries.

thinmyster
08-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

How much did it cost to get it installed? I was considering the 8500 to leave me more room for a lift.

Id like to know as well

Sugarphreak
08-25-2014, 09:39 AM