PDA

View Full Version : Welders?

codetrap
08-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Are there any welders on beyond that are willing to do a job for me. I want to reinforce the bumper connections to the frame of my Travel Trailer so I can put a bolt on Receiver and a bike rack. I just want to make sure that I'm not gonna lose the family stable of bikes as I have a few bucks invested in them. :)

ExtraSlow
08-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Saw a nice mountian bike on the side of Hwy 1 on sunday, looked like it had bounced off the hitch. Poor thing.

mr2mike
08-19-2014, 10:43 AM
I started to weld on Saturday. I've got approx 2hrs of experience but no hook up for pieces of metal and my scrap collection is few. But could help if you're really that desperate.

Graham_A_M
08-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Pm me if you want my bro's number. He's a journeyman red seal welder, one of the best in the city as he builds drilling rigs. The welds have to all be xray'd it's that intense, so this would be a walk in the park for him.

SOAB
08-19-2014, 03:26 PM
let me know how this turns out for you cause i'd like to do the same for my trailer.

DeleriousZ
08-19-2014, 04:15 PM
I can bring over my 120v lincoln with flux core wire, should do the job :D

codetrap
08-20-2014, 08:23 AM
DeleriousZ, I have no idea what that is. I know nothing about welding at all. All I know is I want to have the joints where the hollow bumper joins to the I beam frame reinforced so there's no chance that my bumper hitch will fall off.

This is the type that I'm looking at using for the bikes.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/e/-/e-100_spec_500.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/E-100.html

SOAB
08-20-2014, 08:43 AM
You may want to consider reinforcing the middle part where the receiver mounts as well. I've seen pics of the bumper bend in the middle as well and welds breaking.

codetrap
08-20-2014, 09:19 AM
SOAB, I was reading up on it, and I was thinking of possibly reinforcing the entire bumper with a chunks of angle iron welded to the square tube.

SOAB
08-20-2014, 09:31 AM
I have been thinking long and hard on this:

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703

but depending on cost, your way might work as well.

one thing I do worry about with that Curt hitch that I posted is the reduced tongue weight. you would be levering about 200#'s off the back of the trailer which would reduce the tongue weight a significant amount. I would have to fill my fresh water tanks to bring it back to a suitable tongue weight.

codetrap
08-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Depending on what the costs come back are like, I may just buy one of these instead.

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/13703.html

mr2mike
08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Dumb question but why not just throw the adult bikes inside the trailer and the kids bikes on the rack and be done. You'll be way under weight and it'll be fine?

JfuckinC
08-20-2014, 09:50 AM
The Welding Shop (http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/The-Welding-Shop/2613245.html)

These guys literally do this daily. Prob wouldn't cost much and would be done quite right.

SOAB
08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Dumb question but why not just throw the adult bikes inside the trailer and the kids bikes on the rack and be done. You'll be way under weight and it'll be fine?

there is no way I could fit my bikes inside my trailer while it is in transport mode. I would also have to build something to mount the bikes onto or else they would just bounce around in the trailer causing damage.

codetrap
08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Dumb question but why not just throw the adult bikes inside the trailer and the kids bikes on the rack and be done. You'll be way under weight and it'll be fine? It's not a dumb question. I considered doing just this, however my bike usually gets pretty muddy when I'm camping, and so do the kids. I really don't want to be putting a dirty bike into my nice clean trailer. Also, as SOAB pointed out, the trailers bounce a lot, so something would have to be done to secure them, and I'm not really interesting in doing a bunch of alterations to be able to mount a bike rack inside.

dandia89
08-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Pm me if you want my bro's number. He's a journeyman red seal welder, one of the best in the city as he builds drilling rigs. The welds have to all be xray'd it's that intense, so this would be a walk in the park for him.

aren't all welds xrayed from a company perspective they should be

Graham_A_M
08-20-2014, 08:27 PM
^ Way way *WAY* too costly for everybody to do it from a typical (welding) production standpoint. Very very few companies do actually, only when the weld is absolutely critical. Such as, case in point the drilling rig, when you have 3k plus meters of drilling pipe all held up via a cable, using (for example) a dead anchor mounted to the drilling rig. Its quite critical that the part thats holding it, nor weld thats securing it doesn't fail, since if it does, thats absolutely retarded money to have all that fished out of the hole, plus considerable downtime costs, and everything else. Basically that would be a mistake worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars, thats all avoidable basically.

Its times like that, that welds are Xray'd to make sure they wont fail in anyway. There are several components like that on drilling rigs and other manufacturing products that require that sort of quality & verification of said quality, case in point being weld X rays and part testing.

Darell_n
08-20-2014, 08:34 PM
So the real question is: who offers RV trailer x-raying services?

turbo minivan
08-21-2014, 12:18 AM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-welding/calgary/offering-light-welding-services/575076019?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Graham_A_M
08-21-2014, 07:16 AM
^ yikes, that guy looks like a total hack, I'd never trust a guy like him. I'm by no means a "welder" but even I can do better then that. Jeez.
Like I can weld decently, but by no means would I ever list my "services" like that guy is trying to do. Without any formal training, Id be surprised if anything he builds can hold together for much of anything. There is a lot more to welding, then being able to lay a fairly straight bead. :nut: