PDA

View Full Version : Grass Seed? Are They All The Same?

dj_rice
08-19-2014, 09:35 PM
So my lawns looking like pure garbage with all the dead areas from my dog. But walking into the hardware stores there is a plethora of brands and choices, boggles my mind on which to get and what will give me best results. I'm still a newbie home owner and not a green thumb when it comes to gardening.

Looking for recommendations from experience. Seen an info-mercial on TV for Hydro Mousse but kinda iffy since its on an TV ad.

I have tried the Scotts Turf Builder EZ Seed a few months ago but the grass grew in so sporadic, might have to do with that the container only has 7% grass seed :banghead: :rofl:

The_Penguin
08-19-2014, 09:38 PM
I just grab whatever's cheap at Costco. Just seed, not the over-priced mix, or coated stuff.
Can't say I've noticed much difference in brands.

Rake the dead grass, put down some soil, add seed, cover with soil, keep moist.

dj_rice
08-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
I just grab whatever's cheap at Costco. Just seed, not the over-priced mix, or coated stuff.
Can't say I've noticed much difference in brands.

Rake the dead grass, put down some soil, add seed, cover with soil, keep moist.

Thanks for your input.

What is the purpose of the "Cover with soil" portion. If I skip this step, will it still seed?

relyt92
08-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Thanks for your input.

What is the purpose of the "Cover with soil" portion. If I skip this step, will it still seed? Keeps the seeds from drying out, keeps them from blowing away or being eaten as easy, and gives them more soil contact to help with sprouting.