PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ed McNally

darthVWader
08-20-2014, 02:45 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Rock+founder+McNally+heart+Eddies+dies/10134320/story.html

Big Rock Brewery founder Ed McNally has died at age 89.

McNally, a giant in Calgary’s business community and an early leader in the craft beer movement, founded Big Rock in 1985 at the age of 60. On the company’s website, McNally is quoted as having said at the time “I want to make the beers that I want to drink, not what will be popular.”

In addition to founding the now 30-year-old brewery, McNally was also the heart of Calgary’s famed Big Rock Eddies, a contest and awards gala that raises funds for charity while rewarding beer drinkers who can come up with the most creative ads about beer.

McNally retired from the brewery in 2012.

Prior to embarking on his brewing venture, Ed had already been an accomplished lawyer and barley farmer.

He was awarded both the Order of Canada and the Alberta Centennial Medal in 2005 and was inducted to the Calgary Business Hall of Fame in 2009. McNally was also very involved in the community, including many years of service with organizations such as Junior Achievement and the Alberta Barley Growers.

In a release, Big Rock President and Chief Executive Officer, Bob Sartor, expressed his sentiments on behalf of the entire Big Rock team: “Ed leaves behind a legacy larger than life and we will forever be grateful, not only for this great company he created, but also for the lasting impression he has left on the lives of everyone who had the privilege to know him.”

16hypen3sp
08-20-2014, 05:25 PM
RIP Ed.

Never got the pleasure of meeting you but heard many great things about you from my colleagues.

You and your great brewery sent a lot of good, free beer my way during my time in the brewing industry.

You will be missed!

finboy
08-20-2014, 05:53 PM
He made grasshopper, the beer that got me through university.

RIP Ed

ipeefreely
08-20-2014, 06:17 PM
RIP Ed

Big Rock hasn't been the same since he retired in 2012. :cry:

Robin Goodfellow
08-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Will raise a glass of Mcnally's this Friday.