PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast for those who struggle to wake up in the morning?

Pages : [1] 2

BavarianBeast
08-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see how many are like me, and what you do to ensure a healthy breakfast.

I am not a morning guy, but I start work every day at 6:30-7:00 and work until 5. I usually wake up literally 5 minutes before I need to be out the door so I can brush my teeth and look somewhat presentable.. I usually end up taking a yogurt, granolla bar and a protein shake with berries for my breakfast. Everyday.. It's starting to get old and I'm wondering what other people who can't wake up to cook breakfast do?

Cheers

mrsingh
08-20-2014, 04:09 PM
I have thyroid issues so cannot eat anything for an hour after I take my medication in the morning. What I often do prepare an omelete made with eggs whites and vegetables the night before, and take it with me to heat up and eat once I get to work.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2014, 04:10 PM
http://www.drinkrumble.com/

Best things ever. They taste amazing too. I have one every single day for breakfast, along with oatmeal. They are also perfect if you don't have time for a meal, or as a pre/post workout drink.

I am the farthest thing from a morning person you could possibly imagine, and eat breakfast at work.

JRSC00LUDE
08-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Honestly, that's about as much as I ever get too. I'll add in a egg mcmuffin with no cheese when I get my morning coffee sometimes. Not a huge bread intake guy but I figure it won't hurt plus egg/protein.

flipstah
08-20-2014, 04:15 PM
I cook what I want to eat the night before and get it ready for dine-and-dash. Egg, protein, steel-cut oats, or something.

Most of the time though, it's just a banana to get me out and then fruit that I packed the night before to get me through before lunch.

Feruk
08-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Pack the night before for breakfast. I usually take a small portion of each of these:
1) snap peas with some other vegetables (carrots, radishes, mini tomatoes) occasionally mixed in.
2) blueberries/blackberries/cherries/grapes

JRSC00LUDE
08-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Best things ever. They taste amazing too. I have one every single day for breakfast, along with oatmeal. They are also perfect if you don't have time for a meal, or as a pre/post workout drink.

I am the farthest thing from a morning person you could possibly imagine, and eat breakfast at work.

Those look surprisingly decent. What are you paying for them?

Stephen81
08-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Every night I make a Nutribullet shake with lots of greens, some fruit, seeds and coconut water. I always make enough to leave a cup in the fridge to slam back when I wake up.

Then at the office I mix some protein powder with plain oats and cut up some apple or other fruit to put in it.

And coffee, lots of coffee.:burnout:

firebane
08-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Those look interesting but I suspect they can't be too cheap and must cost in the $3-5 range per bottle?

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Those look surprisingly decent. What are you paying for them?

They are so good. Look at the ingredients list too, they have protein, omega 3's, flaxseed oil, kale, beets, spinach, etc. All organic everything. I don't know how they taste so good with all the gross stuff mixed in haha. It's actually a successful Dragon's Den product.

Zero grittiness as well. The Dutch Cocoa one tastes like store bought chocolate milk, and the Vanilla Maple one tastes like 1% milk with a little maple and vanilla added.

I buy them by the case on Amazon - no GST and free shipping:

http://www.amazon.ca/Rumble-Dutch-Cocoa-12-pack/dp/B00FQ0UKI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408573955&sr=8-1&keywords=rumble+drink

NOTE: Shipping is free, but it defaults to a paid option, so you need to change the shipping method at checkout.

They are $3.83 a bottle or $46.00 for a case of 12. Locally they are as much as $5.50/bottle in health food stores which is nuts. I don't mind paying for them when you look at all the stuff in it, it would cost me way more money to try recreate these on my own in a blender.

Most people seem to prefer the Dutch Cocoa, so unless you don't like chocolate, I would recommend using that flavor as your "test batch". I love both flavors though. That reminds me, I need to restock!

Lastly, if you work downtown, the Sait Culinary Campus in the Scotia building sells them in singles for $5.50 or something like that, so if you just want to try one, pop in there over lunch hour.

Now...if only Costco would pick these things up and sell them in flats :rofl:

flipstah
08-20-2014, 04:47 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81qRUkgoZ-L._SL1500_.jpg

Loaded with sugars, but it's naturally sourced instead of processed white sugar.

Redlined_8000
08-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I usually boil a bunch of eggs about 12-15 or so. Eat 3 eggs 2 toast for breakfast.

Another thing I use to do is protein fudge. Mix 1-2 scoops of oats, 1-2 scoops of your favorite protein, 2tbsp peanut butter. Add some water and mix it up good. Then put about 1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries on top and throw it in the fridge overnight. Its pretty tasty. Instead of water you can use Milk or Almond milk.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81qRUkgoZ-L._SL1500_.jpg

Loaded with sugars, but it's naturally sourced instead of processed white sugar.

11g of natural sugar is nothing to be worried about IMO. I wouldn't say that it's "loaded" with sugar.

Find me a healthier breakfast of equal convenience with similar all-natural ingredients and I'll make the switch immediately :). I don't think there is one.

Just ordered 3 more cases :thumbsup:

Here's the Dragon's Den pitch for those interested:

http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/rumble

Dumbass17
08-20-2014, 09:30 PM
i've been eating this meal for about a year now for brekky, probably 4-5x a week.

1/2 oats
1 cup boiled water
mix it up and let the oats sit.
then mix in a scoop of chocolate protein powder, tsp of almond butter and a tsp of cocoa powder, mix it up, enjoy.

keeps me full until around 10/11 am and takes 5 minutes to make and 5 minutes to eat. tastes like dessert

A2VR6
08-20-2014, 09:43 PM
I usually get a apple, yogurt, and a Quest bar (http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars/double-chocolate-chunk/?type=box).

Low Calories, Tons of Protein and a bit of fibre in there as well! These bars keep me full for a good while.

:thumbsup:

killramos
08-20-2014, 09:44 PM
All I eat very morning is coffee until 11-12 depending on how famished I am.

Start work at 6:30 and I just cannot eat at 6 am, turns my stomach. Sometimes I'll grab a bacon and egger.

I use it as a way to keep trim as unhealthy as it may be. Office life takes a toll and cutting a meals worth of calories out is my way of staying in control.

Once I work into driving to work I will probably do more of a gym-breakfast routine. With the bus etc it all seems to taxing. :dunno:

LadyLuck
08-20-2014, 10:46 PM
you should try and get up a bit earlier and give yourself some time before heading out the door, im not morning person myself but its helped me lots since at times i have to be out the door by 5am and will be up shortly before 4.

as for breakfasts, I get up earlier and gave a bagel with strawberry jam, carbs get me going in the am...while eating that i prep my oatmeal with eggwhites and mixed berries that I eat at work while having a coffee with the co workers.

Mar
08-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see how many are like me, and what you do to ensure a healthy breakfast.

I am not a morning guy, but I start work every day at 6:30-7:00 and work until 5. I usually wake up literally 5 minutes before I need to be out the door so I can brush my teeth and look somewhat presentable.. I usually end up taking a yogurt, granolla bar and a protein shake with berries for my breakfast. Everyday.. It's starting to get old and I'm wondering what other people who can't wake up to cook breakfast do?

Cheers

People think granola bars are healthy for you, they're not. They're full of sugars, you might as well just eat a chocolate bar. Natural oats don't stick together on their own like that.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to eat in the mornings as well and usually settled for cereal since it was quick and easy. Then I moved onto fruit smoothies and lost 20 pounds.

I turn this:

http://www.danmaher.com/images/smoothie1.jpg

into this and it's delicious:

http://www.danmaher.com/images/smoothie2.jpg

I've been having one of these for breakfast every morning, 7 days a week for the last 6 months.

xnvy
08-21-2014, 12:01 AM
What if I want a quick breakfast and want to gain 20 lbs?

For OP, I usually just have a protein shake and a banana which keeps me going from 8 until 2 pm when I have a late lunch.

Mar
08-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by xnvy

For OP, I usually just have a protein shake and a banana which keeps me going from 8 until 2 pm when I have a late lunch.

You can always throw in extra protein powders or something if you want. I used to throw in hemp seeds for fibre but I put in way too much one day.......I'll never do that again.

GQBalla
08-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Wake up earlier then usual.

I make a breakfast every day.

4 eggs scrambled
30 grams of oatmeal dry weight
half a scoop of whey isolate
table spoon of peanut butter

565 Calories
25 g Carbs
30 g Fat
49 g Protein

Oatmeal is great to have in the morning, complex carbs, lower cholesterol, fibre.

I use quick oats, add about 200 ml of water (more if you like it runny) microwave for 1 minute and 40 seconds. Add the half scoop of protein.

Eat for gains.

Lex350
08-21-2014, 08:01 AM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/547850-does-eating-an-apple-in-the-morning-wake-you-up-better-than-drinking-a-cup-of-cofee/

I have a glass of milk and an apple

schocker
08-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Mar
People think granola bars are healthy for you, they're not. They're full of sugars, you might as well just eat a chocolate bar. Natural oats don't stick together on their own like that.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to eat in the mornings as well and usually settled for cereal since it was quick and easy. Then I moved onto fruit smoothies and lost 20 pounds.

That fruit probably has more sugar than a granola bar though no?

Those rumble drinks look good though mitsu, I might give them a try for days when I lift in the morning as I generally have a protein shake and yogurt at home then when I get to work have some vector or a costco breakfast burrito or grab something unhealthy from tims or a&w :rofl:

Matty_10
08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
I make a big batch of protein balls that lasts me almost a month, and eat one every morning.

- peanut butter, been wanting to try my almond butter.
- hemp seeds
- couple chocolate chips
- dried cranberries
- sliced almonds
- oats
- lots of protein powder

Mix it all roll into balls & freeze them.

flipstah
08-21-2014, 08:44 AM
I just perfected cooking steel-cut oats using a microwave. Breakfast at work!

Mind. Blown.

BigMass
08-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Eating a normal breakfast in the morning gives me nausea. For the past 15 years all I ever ate for breakfast was a protein bar with my coffee. Works great for me and I can do it when I get into work.

Lex350
08-21-2014, 09:12 AM
The other thing my doctor told me once on this topic is to hydrate when you first get up.

firebane
08-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by schocker

That fruit probably has more sugar than a granola bar though no?

Those rumble drinks look good though mitsu, I might give them a try for days when I lift in the morning as I generally have a protein shake and yogurt at home then when I get to work have some vector or a costco breakfast burrito or grab something unhealthy from tims or a&w :rofl:

Natural sugars found in fruit is far better for you than processed sugars found in most foods.

BavarianBeast
08-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like I'm not the only one who doesn't allow enough time in the morning to cook a breakfast at home haha.

Some unique meals here thats for sure, going to give some a try.. I like the idea of cooking a boat-load of eggs/food on Sunday night and packing 5 breakfast containers for the week. Although the taste of the eggs after 5 days in the fridge is somewhat worrisome...haha

flipstah
08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Eggs taste the same as you cooked it in day one lol.

HiTempguy1
08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
You can also try Vega One.

Its not a protein supplment, basically it is the same thing as Rumble in a mixture form.

$60 gets you 25 scoops worth (one scoop is recommended).

It CAN be used just with water, but its thin and not very good then.

So I have a magic bullet, I add a scoop of the vega, a LARGE handful of frozen raspberries, and then I sometimes add 100ml of Oasis strawberry banana fruit smoothie to give it a decent consistency. Fill the rest of the cup with water. Hit it with the magic bullet.

It's tasty, keeps me away from having pure carbs like bread in the morning, and I feel great :)

The ONLY suggestion I have is you need to supplement it with something if you are doing more than working in an office. It will not keep you full until lunch if you are doing physical activity. (which is why it is perfect for me, I don't need much to get me by until lunch sitting at my desk all day).

:D

GQBalla
08-21-2014, 09:48 AM
one thing i can say, is try to eat REAL food.

Yes there are drinks and such. Now i only have 1 scoop of protein a day. Before i was drinking at least 90 grams of protein a day.

So far daily i eat about 220 grams of protein a day.

schocker
08-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by firebane
Natural sugars found in fruit is far better for you than processed sugars found in most foods.
I wasn't meaning it was better, just still lots of sugar. Just browsing jugo juice some of the ones I buy are like 50+g of sugar! :eek:

flipstah
08-21-2014, 10:07 AM

I wasn't meaning it was better, just still lots of sugar. Just browsing jugo juice some of the ones I buy are like 50+g of sugar! :eek:

Just cut the size to the small one.

firebane
08-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Jugo Juice makes money off the premise that their drinks are "healthy" but when you start looking into the crap they have in them you realize very quickly its not.

But everyone looks for that "healthy" alternative.

ddduke
08-21-2014, 10:47 AM
never in a rush, but I hate making breakfast, especially the whole cleaning up after cooking so what I do is:

8 eggs in a Tupperware, mix 'em up a bit and microwave for 10 minutes
2 pieces of Ezekiel bread

Then I just get dressed, brush my teeth, etc. while they cook.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2014, 10:50 AM

Their wraps are even worse. Tons of fat, fake-ish chemically chicken, and 1000+mg of sodium. Only very recently did they start publishing sodium content, they tried to hide it for the longest time. You also would need to eat 4 of them to feel full.

For all you downtown folks, there are a few awesome healthy lunches, IMO:

Suncor Marcellos - Power Bowls. An employee builds them for you Subway-style, and they are giant bowls of health. All raw ingredients. First you pick quinoa or 7 grain base, then you pick spinach or kale, then you pick real turkey, chicken, or salmon, then you add all the veggies, hard boiled eggs, hummus, chick peas, guacamole, etc. that you want and it's $7.99.

"Choices" In the Lancaster building - Grab a real white meat turkey sandwich (literally pulled off of a fresh whole turkey in front of you) on multigrain bread with fresh veggies. Even with a side salad it's only $6.50. I cannot believe how cheap it is, I almost feel bad.

"HealthFare" in the BP building - They make these curry boxes with real chicken, good quality veggies, and multigrain rice. Basically a ~450cal stir fry. They do not taste salty either. $8.99

I buy lunch every single day, and in the many years I've been downtown, I haven't found healthier lunches than that IMO. If there is better I'd love to know about it.

schocker
08-21-2014, 11:59 AM
I thought their smoothies are basically just fruit/veggies and juice though.....I never get the wraps as they are super expensive and instead go to extreme pita.

That salad sounds good though but I don't know if the amec marcellos has them? I have only been there once for buffet lunch, but I go sometimes for breakfast to get their breakfast sandwiches usually the greek one.

GQBalla
08-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Their wraps are even worse. Tons of fat, fake-ish chemically chicken, and 1000+mg of sodium. Only very recently did they start publishing sodium content, they tried to hide it for the longest time. You also would need to eat 4 of them to feel full.

For all you downtown folks, there are a few awesome healthy lunches, IMO:

Suncor Marcellos - Power Bowls. An employee builds them for you Subway-style, and they are giant bowls of health. All raw ingredients. First you pick quinoa or 7 grain base, then you pick spinach or kale, then you pick real turkey, chicken, or salmon, then you add all the veggies, hard boiled eggs, hummus, chick peas, guacamole, etc. that you want and it's $7.99.

"Choices" In the Lancaster building - Grab a real white meat turkey sandwich (literally pulled off of a fresh whole turkey in front of you) on multigrain bread with fresh veggies. Even with a side salad it's only $6.50. I cannot believe how cheap it is, I almost feel bad.

"HealthFare" in the BP building - They make these curry boxes with real chicken, good quality veggies, and multigrain rice. Basically a ~450cal stir fry. They do not taste salty either. $8.99

I buy lunch every single day, and in the many years I've been downtown, I haven't found healthier lunches than that IMO. If there is better I'd love to know about it.

Good choices for eating on the go

dubhead
08-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
you should try and get up a bit earlier and give yourself some time before heading out the door, im not morning person myself but its helped me lots since at times i have to be out the door by 5am and will be up shortly before 4.

as for breakfasts, I get up earlier and gave a bagel with strawberry jam, carbs get me going in the am...while eating that i prep my oatmeal with eggwhites and mixed berries that I eat at work while having a coffee with the co workers.

I second this, I used to be a roll out of bed, skip breakfast head straight to work kinda of guy for years. Now I give my self a solid hour to shower get ready, and eat a nice big breakfast. I've found I tend to eat less during the day after having a big breakfast, as well giving my self extra time instead of rushing out the door really helps to get the day started on the right foot.

Phl0xed
08-22-2014, 10:36 AM
I just perfected cooking steel-cut oats using a microwave. Breakfast at work!

Mind. Blown.

Now you have me listening... How on earth do you cook steel cut oats properly in a damn microwave!?

flipstah
08-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Phl0xed

Now you have me listening... How on earth do you cook steel cut oats properly in a damn microwave!?

This was through trial and error and a lot of spillage haha.

The trick is getting the bowl size right to prevent bubbling over so either a wide yet shallow dish that has enough depth or a big, deep bowl. I find individual cereal bowl isn't enough to prevent spillage so I go a bit bigger.

1:3 oat to water ratio so if it's just you, 1/3 cup oat to 1 cup water. I wing this part so some days, I get a watery mix and other days, I get a thick mix. That's a good day. I'll bring measuring cups next week.

Long time, less power (2 mins 40% power in our office microwave did the trick but had to learn it as it varies)

Mix then 2 mins again for me.

Little bit of honey to taste and boom. There's also cocoa mix or apple cider at the office kitchen if I feel different.

EDIT: I forgot my wallet and my bag so this is my lunch.

http://i.imgur.com/STjhPl1.jpg

Phl0xed
08-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks flip! I'll have to give this a go. Scraping a pot after cooking every batch of steel cut oats gets old some times.

schocker
08-22-2014, 01:04 PM
But why not just instant steel cut oats?

Strider
08-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks flip! I'll have to give this a go. Scraping a pot after cooking every batch of steel cut oats gets old some times.

If you make steel cut oats on the stovetop, this recipe (copied from America's Test Kitchen) is an awesome time-saver.

http://traceysculinaryadventures.com/2012/10/overnight-apple-cinnamon-steel-cut-oatmeal.html

Also, if you're making steel cut oats in the microwave, use a glass bowl. DO NOT use tupperware - you'll never forget that mistake... nor will your coworkers, or microwave.

flipstah
08-22-2014, 01:34 PM
But why not just instant steel cut oats?

You can do that too. I didn't have that option because I bought this tub of oats. :drool:

schocker
08-22-2014, 02:45 PM
You can do that too. I didn't have that option because I bought this tub of oats. :drool:
I thought you just weren't aware of the option :rofl:

firebane
08-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Ugh oats in the microwave is revolting. Comes out like a pile of turd more often than not.

flipstah
08-22-2014, 03:17 PM

I thought you just weren't aware of the option :rofl:

Lol there's frozen ones that you just pop into the microwave and deliciousness emerges! :drool:

Ugh oats in the microwave is revolting. Comes out like a pile of turd more often than not.

Yeah, doesn't beat the stove.

:(

Phl0xed
08-22-2014, 06:25 PM
I love steel cut oats. I usually will mix 1 - 2tbsp of unsalted natural peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate whey protein into the pot after I take it off the heat. The macros are fantastic and it tastes even better! They are hands down the best thing I have found to eat pre-workout. Always have a ton of energy. Can't sell me pre-workout like a 1kg bag of steel cut oats for $3. Haha.

firebane
08-23-2014, 10:57 AM
So we picked up one of the Vanilla Maple and Chocolate flavored Rumble drinks.

Let me say this I have only tried the Vanilla Maple and holy is it sweet. My stomach when I wake up in the morning does not tolerate sweet things at all and will throw my guts into a horrible raging fit.

My stomach is right now in a raging fit.

Phl0xed
08-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Look on the bright side, firebane... You'll never have issues with regularity in the mornings. :poosie:

firebane
08-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Look on the bright side, firebane... You'll never have issues with regularity in the mornings. :poosie:

I wish. The raging fit I talk about can lead to IBS.

GotRice?
08-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by xnvy

throw some
tofu
banana
frozen berries
scoop of protein (optional)
apple juice
honey for sweetener(optional)

in a blender and good to go nom

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 09:22 AM
So we picked up one of the Vanilla Maple and Chocolate flavored Rumble drinks.

Let me say this I have only tried the Vanilla Maple and holy is it sweet. My stomach when I wake up in the morning does not tolerate sweet things at all and will throw my guts into a horrible raging fit.

My stomach is right now in a raging fit.

That's interesting. I have numerous friends, family members, and co-workers who all drink Rumbles and I've never heard anyone mention it was overly sweet, or that it upset their stomach. I am very sensitive to overly sweet things as well any food whatsoever in the morning, and don't find Rumbles to be too sweet or upsetting. Sorry they didn't work out for you. Maybe try the chocolate one, it tastes a little less sweet, but the ingredients are 95% the same, if it upset your stomach.

flipstah
08-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Where can I buy one Rumble? I want to try it out.

I have a sweet tooth so if it's too sweet for me, it's too sweet haha.

schocker
08-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Where can I buy one Rumble? I want to try it out.

I have a sweet tooth so if it's too sweet for me, it's too sweet haha.
Sait culinary campus has them in scotia centre, they are like $5.5 though iirc from Friday just in with all of the drinks facing the tills.

I think I might try a pack from amazon though, which flavor is best mitsu?

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Sait culinary campus has them in scotia centre, they are like $5.5 though iirc from Friday just in with all of the drinks facing the tills.

I think I might try a pack from amazon though, which flavor is best mitsu?

Depends...I really like them both, but most people seem to prefer Dutch Cocoa (it's also the only flavor I've ever seen out of stock on Amazon).

My orders are always 2 cases Dutch Cocoa, 1 case Vanilla Maple.

Dutch Cocoa tastes most similar to store bought chocolate milk, and Vanilla Maple tastes most similar to 1 or 2% Milk with Vanilla and Maple flavors in it. So, whichever of those two sounds most appealing to you is what I'd try first. If you like chocolate milk, I suspect the Dutch Cocoa will be the one you like the most. If you like plain white milk more, you'll probably like Vanilla Maple better.

I recommend you buy a single first, and try it out. They are $5+ each but at least you won't waste money on a case if it's not for you. SAIT and nearly every organic health food store carries them, they are a ripoff but it's convenient to try them before a big order.

Also, remember to pick the free shipping option on Amazon, it defaults to a paid one if you are just clicking through the steps.

natty54
08-25-2014, 10:33 AM
I just bought some to try. Amaranth had them paid around 3.50 each. Chocolate is pretty tasty will be trying vanilla soon.

I think save on foods in carrying them now as well

firebane
08-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Depends...I really like them both, but most people seem to prefer Dutch Cocoa (it's also the only flavor I've ever seen out of stock on Amazon).

My orders are always 2 cases Dutch Cocoa, 1 case Vanilla Maple.

Dutch Cocoa tastes most similar to store bought chocolate milk, and Vanilla Maple tastes most similar to 1 or 2% Milk with Vanilla and Maple flavors in it. So, whichever of those two sounds most appealing to you is what I'd try first. If you like chocolate milk, I suspect the Dutch Cocoa will be the one you like the most. If you like plain white milk more, you'll probably like Vanilla Maple better.

I recommend you buy a single first, and try it out. They are $5+ each but at least you won't waste money on a case if it's not for you. SAIT and nearly every organic health food store carries them, they are a ripoff but it's convenient to try them before a big order.

Also, remember to pick the free shipping option on Amazon, it defaults to a paid one if you are just clicking through the steps.

The Dutch Cocoa is good too but has a bit of an aftertaste and a bit "gritty".

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 10:48 AM

The Dutch Cocoa is good too but has a bit of an aftertaste and a bit "gritty".

Maybe you got a bad batch haha. I've never tasted a single grain of grit and I've had 1-2 a day for probably 6 months now. They are 100% smooth every time I have had them, even if I try chew it to detect grit. The #1 comment from my friends who've tried them other than it tasting good, is that there is zero grit unlike their homemade protein shakes.

Try gently shaking them. They are slightly pressurized though, so crack the seal completely first, then close it and gently shake it before reopening. The only thing I can think of is either you got a bad batch that wasn't mixed properly at the factory.

firebane
08-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Maybe you got a bad batch haha. I've never tasted a single grain of grit and I've had 1-2 a day for probably 6 months now. They are 100% smooth every time I have had them, even if I try chew it to detect grit. The #1 comment from my friends who've tried them other than it tasting good, is that there is zero grit unlike their homemade protein shakes.

Try gently shaking them. They are slightly pressurized though, so crack the seal completely first, then close it and gently shake it before reopening. The only thing I can think of is either you got a bad batch that wasn't mixed properly at the factory.

LOL. I don't mean gritty in the sense like sand.. Just not smooth like normal chocolate milk and that could be the ingredients.

Oh and READ the instructions.. Do not shake these things vigorously and open them.. HOLY crap hahahaha :eek:

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 11:47 AM

LOL. I don't mean gritty in the sense like sand.. Just not smooth like normal chocolate milk and that could be the ingredients.

Oh and READ the instructions.. Do not shake these things vigorously and open them.. HOLY crap hahahaha :eek:

Ah, I see. I still wouldn't call them gritty at all though, at least for me. For anyone wondering, they are nothing like the grit in a protein shake with powder. They are pretty much exactly like drinking a glass of 2% milk as far as consistency and viscosity goes. I personally can't tell any difference whatsoever except that Rumble tastes way better than milk haha.

Yeah for anyone who doesn't know, where they will explode from if you shake them too much is the perforated ridge right near the top of the lid. What this does is instead of dribbling down the side of the bottle like, say, a 2L think of coke that is opened too fast, it blasts a 360 degree pattern of Rumble into your clothes and surroundings LOL. I walk to work, and by the time I'm at work, it's shaken up pretty good, and if I don't wait, I have to be SUPER careful opening them. If you're just taking them out of the fridge or whatever though, they are totally fine - crack the seal completely, re-seal, and give them a gentle shake. I honestly can't really tell the difference between shaken and unshaken, but the instructions suggest gently shaking them before consumption. They are also way better cold, if that wasn't obvious.

flipstah
08-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Just tried both flavors out.

- Vanilla Maple was like downing a donut lol. Holy fuck, so sweet.
- Dutch Chocolate had dark chocolate taste and was tolerable.

Overall, it has a thinner consistency than milk and its too sweet for me to start a day off. I can't have these everyday.

I'll stick to banana and leveling out through the day.

firebane
08-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Just tried both flavors out.

- Vanilla Maple was like downing a donut lol. Holy fuck, so sweet.
- Dutch Chocolate had dark chocolate taste and was tolerable.

Overall, it has a thinner consistency than milk and its too sweet for me to start a day off. I can't have these everyday.

I'll stick to banana and leveling out through the day.

LOL told you. That Vanilla Maple is crazy sweet. And yes they are more like skim milk consistency.

People don't realize that you can buy chocolate milk in 1% and 2% and the 2% is WAY thicker than the 1%

flipstah
08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
On the plus-side, it wasn't gritty. :rofl:

It definitely 'lingers' though. Ever had Ensure or Boost and have this feeling in your mouth that there's a layer still there or some sort of coating on top of your tongue and you have to wash it down with water? Probably just me.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm really surprised you guys find it sweet. I'm very sensitive to overly sweet things (it's about the only thing that will give me a headache, ESPECIALLY in the morning) and I don't find them sweet. The dozen or so people I know drinking them regularly have never mentioned it's sweet, and of the 53 reviews currently on Amazon, not a single person says it's sweet (the only mention of the word at all is someone saying it's "not too sweet").

Try the Dutch Cocoa one, it probably is the lesser "sweet" tasting of the two if you're ultra sensitive to it. The only thing I can think of is maybe people react differently to Stevia?

flipstah
08-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Out of the two, Dutch Cocoa is more tolerable and I fuckin' love the taste of maple.

It could be the stevia, maybe. I have a sweet tooth and I found it too much for my liking.

firebane
08-25-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm really surprised you guys find it sweet. I'm very sensitive to overly sweet things (it's about the only thing that will give me a headache, ESPECIALLY in the morning) and I don't find them sweet. The dozen or so people I know drinking them regularly have never mentioned it's sweet, and of the 53 reviews currently on Amazon, not a single person says it's sweet (the only mention of the word at all is someone saying it's "not too sweet").

Try the Dutch Cocoa one, it probably is the lesser "sweet" tasting of the two if you're ultra sensitive to it. The only thing I can think of is maybe people react differently to Stevia?

I have tried both and its not so much that I find it overly sweet. Its just that things that are "sweet" in general can cause my guts to go nuts.

Sometimes even my chocolate vitamin d pills will do it LOL.

blitz
08-25-2014, 03:50 PM
I've had 1-2 a day for probably 6 months now.

Jesus man, that's more than the cost of a yearly upgrade for your camera!

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 03:57 PM

I have tried both and its not so much that I find it overly sweet. Its just that things that are "sweet" in general can cause my guts to go nuts.

Sometimes even my chocolate vitamin d pills will do it LOL.

Haha fair enough, sounds like you're pretty sensitive to either chocolate or sweet things. I wonder if it's the Stevia - I've tried that stuff straight into my coffee before, and you barely need any to make it taste like there is 2 packs of sugar in it. It's the last ingredient in Rumbles, but it doesn't take much.

Originally posted by blitz

Haha well the way I look at it, without these things there is no way I'd be putting in the effort to make a breakfast which includes as much protein, veggies, fruits, calcium, fibre, omega 3's, etc. Especially living alone, buying all that organic stuff in economic quantities and mixing my own drinks would A) for sure not taste as good and B) go to waste long before I used it all.

So these work well for me. Roughly $100/mo for a fast, convenient, and healthy breakfast or post workout drink is worth it for me. Shelf life is 1yr as well, which is pretty good.

BigMass
08-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by blitz

if you use them as meal replacements not really. I would jump all over these if they were thicker and had more calories while keeping with the non-chemical ingredient theme. I need 350-400 cals to be able to use something as a proper meal replacement. Same thing when I look for a good protein bar.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

if you use them as meal replacements not really. I would jump all over these if they were thicker and had more calories while keeping with the non-chemical ingredient theme. I need 350-400 cals to be able to use something as a proper meal replacement. Same thing when I look for a good protein bar.

Someone told me they saw a bigger version of it a health food store, as in more than 355 ml. I haven't been able to verify this for myself though. I agree, 400ish calories would be perfect. I also have oatmeal every morning for the calories. Probably like $6-8 a bottle though for twice as much haha. Or you could just drink 2....$7 breakfast, not too bad.

fiveowed
08-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I turn this:

http://www.danmaher.com/images/smoothie1.jpg

into this and it's delicious:

http://www.danmaher.com/images/smoothie2.jpg

I've been having one of these for breakfast every morning, 7 days a week for the last 6 months.

that plus and add a scoop of this
http://active8canada.com/product_images/q/719/VegeGreens-530g__06996_std.gif
http://www.popeyescanada.com/images/InfoPages/Progressive/progressive-vege-greens-blue-medley-info.gif

Rat Fink
08-26-2014, 05:27 AM

quick_scar
09-04-2014, 07:45 AM
I admit i have jumped on the rumble train. Tried both last weekend and they have been my breakfast ever since. Prefer the dutch cocoa one over the maple, but didn't find the maple horrible.

Have found things to be much more regular if you know what I mean.

Also no was I would be getting these healthy foods in my any other way. Went from ice caps and Tims breakfast sandwiches to a rumble and feel better already.

Hallowed_point
09-04-2014, 08:00 AM
low fat yogurt with bee pollen, banana, fiber 1 bar & go. I don't remember the last time I had this much energy in the morning.

cyra1ax
09-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Anyone know where I can get Rumble in the NW or around the Bow? I've only tried looking at Nutters which was supposed to have them but apparently they don't carry them anymore, and I'd rather not hike all the way over to Scotia Centre.

natty54
09-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Amaranth

Mitsu3000gt
09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by cyra1ax
Anyone know where I can get Rumble in the NW or around the Bow? I've only tried looking at Nutters which was supposed to have them but apparently they don't carry them anymore, and I'd rather not hike all the way over to Scotia Centre.

Walking from the Bow to Scotia center takes maybe 5 minutes tops haha. I'm pretty sure you can handle that hike :).

schocker
09-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Walking from the Bow to Scotia center takes maybe 5 minutes tops haha. I'm pretty sure you can handle that hike :).
He doesn't have enough nourishment to get there! :D
Was going to try one this morning but was too sleepy to lift weights at the gym so I did cardio at home so maybe tomorrow morning.....

cyra1ax
09-08-2014, 07:53 PM

He doesn't have enough nourishment to get there! :D
Was going to try one this morning but was too sleepy to lift weights at the gym so I did cardio at home so maybe tomorrow morning.....

This!:bigpimp: Gotta include the lazy factor as well haha. Maybe I'll get off my lazy ass and hike over there sometime this week.

@natty54: Would you mind telling me how much Amaranth sells for?

natty54
09-08-2014, 10:45 PM
its like 4.50 or so

JRSC00LUDE
09-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I work out before work, so my "breakfast" goes like this...
Pre-workout - fruit smoothie with added protein
Post-workout - fruit smoothie with protein and whole wheat bagel with some meat (usually turkey breast)
I last no problem until noon, but I sometimes add a small snack ( like eat part of my lunch) at 10:00 to keep my metabolism going

I'm far from being a nutrition/workout authority but I always understood it beneficial to NOT have sugar before working out?

quick_scar
09-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by cyra1ax

@natty54: Would you mind telling me how much Amaranth sells for?

Was on sale for 3.73 I think when I was there a week and a half ago.

Bought 13 that day. Cleared the NW store out of the cold dutch cocoa they had.

schocker
09-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Finally tried one of mine this morning. Read a review that said you should remove the seal then shake it, so I shook it and removed the cap and it was fizzing everywhere as there is no seal..... Overall it was good, taste was fine, not too sweet (chocolate), I didn't find it too filling though, more of a light breakfast which I suppose is what it should be like. Would buy again.

Hallowed_point
09-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Don't most of those shake drinks contain sucrolose and other junk so that they can claim low cal low sugar?

GotRice?
09-17-2014, 09:06 AM
I usually premake 3-4 of these on sun/mon.

Bring them to work and nuke em for 45secs and good to go. Tastes great with salsa.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/breakfast-wraps

quick_scar
09-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Finally tried one of mine this morning. Read a review that said you should remove the seal then shake it, so I shook it and removed the cap and it was fizzing everywhere as there is no seal..... Overall it was good, taste was fine, not too sweet (chocolate), I didn't find it too filling though, more of a light breakfast which I suppose is what it should be like. Would buy again.

Yeah, whoever said that was wrong. It is pressurized from factory and can make quite a mess. I found it best to break the seal by opening the top slightly. CLOSE IT AGAIN. Then shaking to make sure it is mixed, then opening completely.

firebane
09-17-2014, 09:13 AM

In very fine print on it the can it tells you to shake gently lol or else they will violently explode.

quick_scar
09-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Don't most of those shake drinks contain sucrolose and other junk so that they can claim low cal low sugar?

Ingredients can be found in last picture here:
http://www.amazon.ca/Rumble-Dutch-Cocoa-12-pack/dp/B00FQ0UKI6

schocker
09-17-2014, 09:23 AM
I learned my lesson for next time I drink one :rofl:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Don't most of those shake drinks contain sucrolose and other junk so that they can claim low cal low sugar? I think it is maple syrup and a bit of stevia in these with 250cals for the drink. Others could say low as those are the low calorie sweeteners.

Mibz
09-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I open fully, close fully, shake the shit out of it and then drink it.

EDIT: I'm gonna be really upset if somebody comes in and claims that these things are awful for me, because they've become my breakfast every day.

flipstah
09-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

It's so logical, it just might work.

schocker
09-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

EDIT: I'm gonna be really upset if somebody comes in and claims that these things are awful for me, because they've become my breakfast every day.
Bro, you are now like half maple syrup

BavarianBeast
09-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Haha, I jumped on the Rumble wagon as well.

Now my daily breakfast consists of Rumble, Yogurt & Granola bar. Keeps me full until 11:30-12:00 and I've felt better (gut and energy wise) since including a Rumble in my diet.

EDIT: Just ordered 60 more of them from Amazon.

Mitsu3000gt
09-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Yeah with the rumbles, assuming you haven't shook them at all yet (I.e. just taken out of the fridge), open to fully break the seal, close tightly, THEN shake it gently and re-open.

My walk to work is enough to shake them to the point where they will explode everywhere, so I just BARELY crack the seal and let it sit on my desk for a couple minutes after my walk. Or you can just let them sit for 10 mins or so on their own.

They explode out of the cap dimples, in a 360 degree patten haha. I have covered half my office in Rumble on more than one occasion before I learned.

Glad some of you are enjoying them :thumbsup:

Rumor has it you can buy a larger version, but I haven't seen them yet.

adamc
09-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Bridgeland Market no longer carrying Rumble, was looking to try both flavours before committing to a case from Amazon.

Mibz
09-18-2014, 04:19 PM
There were two health stores on 130th Ave that had them for ~$4.00 a bottle.

DeleriousZ
09-18-2014, 04:20 PM
I enjoyed both flavors quite a bit, the chocolate is great! :thumbsup: