PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 seems to be slipping out of gear-Jeep yj

LUDELVR
08-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Just wondering if this is a common problem. I tried taking my jeep yj in a field and wanted to test my 4x4 and I don't think it's engaging. I pull the lever, I hear it click in but then it backs out a touch but the light stays on. When I hold it down by pulling back on it, it stays engaged. Is this common and an easy fix?

Jeeper1986
08-23-2014, 04:21 PM
yes it is go under it and look at the TC and adjust the lever screw since u put the lift on, they might of missed adjusting the lever

In this pic its the lever to the right side
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvBTu5zTkEY1VoCa3-dOj6vZEC3Be6m1Glo1Ya6OkK1i-Zag5x1g

BerserkerCatSplat
08-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Yup, mis-adjusted transfer case linkage. It's a pretty easy fix, easier with two people with one manning the TC mode selection handle.

LUDELVR
08-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Does this happen when you lift it with both a suspension lift as well as a body lift?

BerserkerCatSplat
08-25-2014, 08:27 AM
It's the body lift that usually does it, it changes the distance/angle from the body-mounted shifter assembly to the frame-mounted transfer case. I didn't realize you had a body lift as well as a suspension lift, you may not be able to adjust it into spec depending on how much body lift you have.

Novak sells shifter kits designed for this kind of thing.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/kit_sk2x.htm

I think there's also drop brackets and extenders and whatnot available but I don't know much about them.

LUDELVR
08-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
It's the body lift that usually does it, it changes the distance/angle from the body-mounted shifter assembly to the frame-mounted transfer case. I didn't realize you had a body lift as well as a suspension lift, you may not be able to adjust it into spec depending on how much body lift you have.

Novak sells shifter kits designed for this kind of thing.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/kit_sk2x.htm

I think there's also drop brackets and extenders and whatnot available but I don't know much about them.

Sorry for the confusion. I only have a suspension lift so that's why I'm wondering if that would have thrown off my shifter. Can these things get misaligned after time?

Kloubek
08-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Absolutely they can. I'm not sure on the YJ's, but on the TJ's if you do a suspension lift there is a good chance a transfer case drop is required. If the same is required on a YJ, then there is a good chance your transfer case/linkage relationship was changed. And even if it wasn't due to that, the setup is adjustable for a reason.

Just undo the adjustment screw (I believe it's a 1/2"), spray the rod it attaches to with WD or PB, and tap the box of the adjustment screw back and fourth. (There is a good chance it's somewhat seized on there). Make sure it moves freely along the adjustment rod.

Pull the TC lever in the cabin as far back as it will go and keep it there. Then go under, and adjust the lever on the TC to the same setting. (4 low?) Then tighten up the adjustment screw.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Sorry for the confusion. I only have a suspension lift so that's why I'm wondering if that would have thrown off my shifter. Can these things get misaligned after time?

Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, Rough Country usually includes a transfer case drop with their suspension kits, which is enough to throw off your linkage adjustment. Follow Kloubek's steps and you'll be in the ballpark at least, you can fine-tune it from there.

Jeeper1986
08-25-2014, 01:02 PM
if you have a TCase drop try removing it and see if u get any wobble or shaking.

On my TJ when I lifted it I put the TC drop on then I went for a drive I couldn't go over 60kmh I removed the tc drop and every thing was ok after that

LUDELVR
08-25-2014, 11:43 PM
The jeep seems fine in all gears…well, by fine I mean absolutely freaking gutless with no wobbles and it cruises without issues…once again, other than being completely powerless!

Ravi and I just tinkered with it and even when I pull it into 4H, it clicks but seems to fall back out of that zone with a simple nudge but Ravi said all 4 wheels were still engaged and when I pull the lever and make it "click" he says there was no difference whether it was in the "click" position or if I lightly pushed it out.

I haven't had a chance to try it out fully so I won't have any real clue until I get the two wheels stuck and I can try it out.

Does anyone else have a bit of "play" with his or her 4H position?

Jeeper1986
08-26-2014, 11:08 AM
when u put it in 4wd are u doing it at a stand still? try doing it when rolling at a slow speed and see if that will sync the gears good and mesh the way it should

firebane
08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
The jeep seems fine in all gears…well, by fine I mean absolutely freaking gutless with no wobbles and it cruises without issues…once again, other than being completely powerless!

Ravi and I just tinkered with it and even when I pull it into 4H, it clicks but seems to fall back out of that zone with a simple nudge but Ravi said all 4 wheels were still engaged and when I pull the lever and make it "click" he says there was no difference whether it was in the "click" position or if I lightly pushed it out.

I haven't had a chance to try it out fully so I won't have any real clue until I get the two wheels stuck and I can try it out.

Does anyone else have a bit of "play" with his or her 4H position?

Put it in 4h or 4l and turn a corner very sharp. It should feel like the vehicle doesn't want to turn well or its turn radius has greatly reduced.