PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Duramax Silverado, '08 + around $30k ish.

Graham_A_M
08-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, like the title says, we have an '10 Silverado crewcab with the 6.0 liter, problem is, its horrific on gas for all the highway, and lacks the power to pull our gooseneck trailer.

Any fleet sell off sites I should keep my eye on? It doesn't have to be fully loaded, just nicely equipped, a crew cab would be ideal. Our budget is in and around $30k. Problem is, its hard finding a Duramax within that price point.

So our '10 will soon be sold to my older brother who really wants it, but to replace it Im leaning hard towards the equivalent of it, but with the Duramax. I rented a 2012 Denali W/the duramax a year ago to pick up a truck down in Montana, and the power it had was amazing.... even towing a truck ON a trailer I was passing people going up hill doing 130, and it didn't even know it was towing anything.
:eek:
Its also amazingly cheap to run, their so good on fuel its crazy, they pay for themselves quite quickly... we've already blown $6k on gas with our Silverado this year, so its not hard to see why a duramax is such a good investment.

Ive given up on Ford after our '05 with the 6.0 powerstroke. (I shouldn't even have to go into why that thing was a disaster) Dodge is crap... so nothing there.

So any help would be much appreciated. Most trucks on kijiji that fit the criteria are $36k or more....

carson blocks
08-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Talk to the guys at Driving Force, they had a bunch last time I was there. They're all well used, being rental trucks, but seem to be well maintained and in good repair.

Graham_A_M
08-25-2014, 03:57 PM
^ Yeah I did a search. They only had one diesel, the rest are gasser's. They have one in Toon's town, but that one is $43k. :(

Graham_A_M
08-25-2014, 04:16 PM
How does this look to you guys? Probably the only Ford Diesel I'll ever consider, or anything else with the 7.3.... These are wicked engines.. Just anything with the 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7 I'll never touch.

http://www.drivingforce.ca/Inventory/Detail/118870

CanmoreOrLess
08-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Have you considered creeping into the GMC brand? A few that I found:

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/alberta/gmc/diesel-gmc-2010__/k0c174l9003a166a54a68?price=__32000.00

Half hour outside of Regina, prices in Sask looks to be lower:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/regina/2010-chevrolet-silverado-2500-ltz-pickup-truck/1008283926?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Others from SK: http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/saskatchewan/pickup+truck-diesel-chevrolet__gmc-2010__/c174l9009a138a166a54a68?price=__32000.00

Graham_A_M
08-25-2014, 04:18 PM
^ Oh I couldn't care less if it says GMC or Chevrolet on it, same shit, different emblems... Alright thanks for that... I really appreciate it.

carson blocks
08-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Lack of decent used diesel trucks is why I bought new. I've got a guy at a Dodge dealership who gave me a price on my new pickup that was what most people were asking for 2 year old used ones, and Cummins Rams hold their resale value really well so before it's out of warranty, I'll sell it and get another one and probably not be far behind buying someone else's used beat up problem truck. These new diesels are too expensive to fix, and with all the electronics on the trucks nowadays, I want no part of one that's out of warranty. It's really easy to get a $5-10k+ repair bill on these trucks and find yourself paying more in the long run than the cost of just getting a new one and dumping it every few years before the warranty is up. Plus you don't have to deal with all the ex-rentals, bro trucks with stacks, and guys who have been running chips set on 'kill' for 100,000km.

I plan on dumping my new truck in about 2 years, with around 80k on it and forecast that I'll sell for ~$10k less than I paid brand new. For the peace of mind of getting the truck new and unmolested and being under full warranty, having 0 chance of a giant repair bill, that's cheap in my books. One major repair on your 5-6 year old diesel and all of a sudden it actually costs more to own than the new one. Just a thought.

Graham_A_M
08-25-2014, 04:29 PM
^ Hmmm.... thats good to know. I'll have to check into lease rates and the like

CanmoreOrLess
08-25-2014, 04:29 PM
^^^ Was my first thought, $30K for an out of warrantee, 200KMs plus used vs new.... new might be the way. ^^^^ I know one guy who basically did this with a new 4Runner Limited, a new way slightly more than used.

Graham_A_M
08-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Jim Pattison's lease has a '11 SLE with 104k for $32
This one.
http://jimpattisonlease.autotrader.ca/certified/GMC/2011-GMC-Sierra+2500HD-b1ae4c050a0a001f2d63cf81a4cdfc5b.htm

^ Jeez, Im surprised the front and rear end dont have seperate area codes, their so far apart...... long truck is in fact long, true story.
:eek:

Thoughts?

carson blocks
08-25-2014, 05:36 PM
It's pretty basic and unless you need a 8' box a CCLB would be a real pain in the city. My CCSB is too much truck to park in a lot of places.

corsvette
08-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Keep in mind 2011+ is a different animal, GM redesigned the entire frame and suspension components, MUCH more robust. That silver truck over at pattisons looks like a fleet wiener, but for Farm use it's spot on. You might get mistaken for a Huderite with a crew cab longbox though.

Graham_A_M
08-25-2014, 07:53 PM
^ Lol, no they're in their Ford E350's, not to worry. Besides Ive never seen any imbred germans in anything but their econolines.

Its length doesn't bother me, as it'll be spending 90% of its use at the farm.

Yeah I watched a video about the 2011's, the frame is 700pounds heavier due to all the beef they added to it. How is it a "fleet wiener" (and what does that even mean?)

Upon watching the video, I didn't know you could get the Allison transmission as an option though, shit.... Id LOVE to get one that has it.... Allison makes bomb proof trannies pretty much. Just unbelievably good shit....

EDIT: So my bro just alerted me about this one as well, a bit more money, but its a 2012 with only 40k on the clock. Any opinions?
http://www.goautodirect.ca/inventory/listing/leduc-used-2012-gmc-sierra-2500hd/3532452#.U_vv82M7aik

SKR
08-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Upon watching the video, I didn't know you could get the Allison transmission as an option though, shit.... Id LOVE to get one that has it.... Allison makes bomb proof trannies pretty much. Just unbelievably good shit....

It's not an option. It's what you get, since they discontinued manuals. Allison has built GM's diesel automatics since 2001.

corsvette
08-25-2014, 09:55 PM
^ Lol, no they're in their Ford E350's, not to worry. Besides Ive never seen any imbred germans in anything but their econolines.

Its length doesn't bother me, as it'll be spending 90% of its use at the farm.

Yeah I watched a video about the 2011's, the frame is 700pounds heavier due to all the beef they added to it. How is it a "fleet wiener" (and what does that even mean?)

EDIT: So my bro just alerted me about this one as well, a bit more money, but its a 2012 with only 40k on the clock. Any opinions?
http://www.goautodirect.ca/inventory/listing/leduc-used-2012-gmc-sierra-2500hd/3532452#.U_vv82M7aik

"fleet wiener" just means it looks like a fleet spec truck. Steel wheels, long box, most likely has rubber floors, wood box liner I bet, no other fancy options (surprised it's not white) Nothing wrong with it at all.

ddduke
08-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Talk to the guys at Driving Force, they had a bunch last time I was there. They're all well used, being rental trucks, but seem to be well maintained and in good repair.

I would never buy a ex rental from driving force. I've seen 3 destroyed this year, no one takes care of them at all, especially if they've spent any time in the patch, hit ditches constantly, run them ice cold, etc. I'd stay far away.

btimbit
08-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

I would never buy a ex rental from driving force. I've seen 3 destroyed this year, no one takes care of them at all, especially if they've spent any time in the patch, hit ditches constantly, run them ice cold, etc. I'd stay far away.

This x10. Stay away from ALL ex-rentals, especially Driving Force. They're a great company but the customers don't treat them nicely.

I'm saying this as a Driving Force customer;)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-31-2014, 06:38 PM
Buy something pre 2011, the DEF and emissions systems are a huge PITA.

Graham_A_M
08-31-2014, 07:59 PM
^ Fuck.... 2011 is when the new much beefier frames came out.... but I so they basically ruined it that same year with the emissions.

corsvette
08-31-2014, 10:18 PM
^ Fuck.... 2011 is when the new much beefier frames came out.... but I so they basically ruined it that same year with the emissions.

Buy a 2011+ and delete the emissions, easy peasy. :D

SKR
09-01-2014, 05:42 AM
I thought the only thing different from 2007.5-2010 LMMs and 2011-2015 LMLs was DEF.

ddduke
09-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Why does everyone hate the DEF so much? I filled it up full, drove 3000km and it barely moved.

SkiBum5.0
09-02-2014, 11:14 AM
^ It's mounted low, so GM's have had issues with farmers/ranchers damaging the tank. There was also a major issue with the tank freezing in very cold climates (here) which doesn't allow the truck to start.

Finally, there were early software issues where the owners would get a low def fluid warning, speed restricted to 55MPH when the tank was full.

Not sure if any of these have been fixed both those are the big ones.

Graham_A_M
09-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by corsvette

Buy a 2011+ and delete the emissions, easy peasy. :D how so? I'm not well versed when it comes to diesels, is that easy to do?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
^ It's mounted low, so GM's have had issues with farmers/ranchers damaging the tank. There was also a major issue with the tank freezing in very cold climates (here) which doesn't allow the truck to start.

Finally, there were early software issues where the owners would get a low def fluid warning, speed restricted to 55MPH when the tank was full.

Not sure if any of these have been fixed both those are the big ones.

Yes there are fixes for these items now.

SKR
09-03-2014, 11:30 AM
how so? I'm not well versed when it comes to diesels, is that easy to do?

All I did for mine was reroute the PCV to underneath the truck, install an EGR blocker plate, rip out and replace the exhaust, and use a tuner to shut off all the codes. I took it to a shop to get it done. The amount of fucking around he had to do to get that blocker plate in looked way out of my patience range.

Having done all that now, I don't know if I'd do it again. I know a guy who traded in a 6.4 Ford recently. They made him an offer, but found out the motor was gone in it and he ended up taking $13,000 less than the initial offer. I know people say that tuners are undetectable and they don't affect your warranty, but people are also fucking stupid. Maybe if you bought a new ECM, and if you ever had problems you reinstall the old ECM and all the emissions equipment, but I don't know if that would work either.

Graham_A_M
09-03-2014, 11:36 AM
^ yup. We went through absolute hell with our power stroke 6.0, and that is why I will not ever touch a ford, it's like are you guys fucking serious? I've heard the 6.4's and the 6.7's are even worse, which boggles my mind I'm just speechless ford didn't learn from their mistakes with how much of a shitheap their 6.0 was, yet their 6.4 to replace it was far worse, then their 6.7 to replace the 6.4 was even worse still. It's like, just fucking wow :facepalm: I'm just so fucking done with ford diesels. It's something I flat out refuse to touch ever again. I'm seriously hoping a company as big as ford can design an engine to replace the 6.7 that isn't a train wreck. The 7.3 ending in '02 was phenomenal, but that's getting quite old now.

What was the total cost of all those mods SKR?

SKR
09-03-2014, 12:02 PM
I haven't heard any problems about the 6.7s. I know I would think pretty hard about getting a 6.0 over a 6.4 though.

Anyway, I don't have the receipts in front of me but the exhaust was probably around $800, the EGR blocker plate and PCV reroute were probably around $50 each, and the tuner was I think $800 or so. I used EFI Live, and the reason it was so expensive was because I bought the handheld tuner so that I could tune it myself. And then I promptly forgot how to use it, and so it was just wasted money. You can get a shop to tune it for you for probably $300-500, and you can get exhaust cheaper than what I did.

The EGR plate probably isn't necessary because with EFI Live you can just tell it to stay closed, but I wanted the extra assurance that it was going to stay that way.

I don't even know if you can fuck with anything anymore with how the EPA has been cracking down on everyone. Probably the most I would do now is get a tuned ECM. They can do it now where they burn cleaner and keep all the emission equipment, and get better power and mileage. I think your warranty is still just as fucked but that's the way it goes.

carson blocks
09-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Buy something pre 2011, the DEF and emissions systems are a huge PITA.

I'm sure the early systems had problems, and mine may prove to be problematic as the truck gets on in years, but I've got no problem with the DEF on mine so far.

I've got ~30k on a '14 Ram with a 6.7 Cummins and I've fed it maybe 3 or 4 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF. I got one 'Service DEF' warning message last winter during an excessively cold snap (-40) up north during which I left the truck idling for way too long, but it cleared itself after a day. Feeding it a $12-$20 jug of DEF every 6000-10000km hasn't been that big of a deal at all.