PDA

View Full Version : Gas Leak outside, Atco won't fix it.

CapnCrunch
08-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Some time last November I noticed a natural gas odor outside our home near our gas meter. I called Atco, they sent a guy out and after some poking around he found a small leak coming up from the underground pipe. He said he'd put in a ticket and they'd come and fix it. Nobody calls or comes to fix the leak.

Fast forward this spring, I call Atco again, since nobody has come to fix it yet, and they say they're going to send someone out again. Time goes on, nobody comes and no repair is done.

Now this past weekend I was poking around in the yard and noticed that the odor seems to be getting stronger.

I obviously don't want this gas leak to keep going on, and Atco doesn't seem to care too much about it. Is there any way I can force them to come out and fix this? I'm a little surprised how casually Atco seems to be treating this. I've always assumed that a gas leak was an important thing to get fixed right away.

What should my next step be here?

Tik-Tok
08-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Call 911, don't mention the history, just tell them you smell what you think is a gas leak.

Nufy
08-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Call 911 and report a gas leak in your neighborhood.

Eventually they will discover it is at your house.

CapnCrunch
08-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Fair enough, but if I call 911, aren't they just going to tell me to call Atco?

I just want this shit fixed.

dirtsniffer
08-26-2014, 09:53 AM
maybe, just call the fire non emergency line? instead of 911.

Tik-Tok
08-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Fair enough, but if I call 911, aren't they just going to tell me to call Atco?

I just want this shit fixed.

They send both Atco, and the fire department. If the fire department knows about it, it won't get left for long.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
maybe, just call the fire non emergency line? instead of 911.

Right off of Atco's website...

If you smell gas outside a building

Call ATCO Gas or 911 immediately.
Keep people away from the area.
Do not smoke or light any flames.

eblend
08-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Weird, I had a leak once and they fixed it the same day.

yellowsnow
08-26-2014, 10:47 AM
very strange how they aren't fixing it.. i smelled a gas leak inside my house one time. called the non-emergency line, and they told me to call 9-1-1, and to leave the house immediately. Atco gas came right after the firemen, and checked everything out.

gas leak is a pretty major problem

CapnCrunch
08-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
very strange how they aren't fixing it.. i smelled a gas leak inside my house one time. called the non-emergency line, and they told me to call 9-1-1, and to leave the house immediately. Atco gas came right after the firemen, and checked everything out.

gas leak is a pretty major problem

I know right? It blows my mind that they've just brushed it off twice.

suntan
08-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Atco is a very poorly run company. It's a wonder they get anything done at all.

avishal26
08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Have you called 911 yet? Don't brush this off as a poor customer service issue - gas leak right outside your house is very dangerous and could ignite very easily.

It is possible that insurance coverage could be a problem if you knew about the leak... but didn't call 911 like you're supposed to. :dunno:

Kloubek
08-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I know right? It blows my mind that they've just brushed it off twice.

That's just plain fucked up. It's GAS people!!

Mitsu3000gt
08-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Call 911. As soon as the fire department is involved and a report has to be generated, you can bet it will be fixed ASAP. It's not something to take lightly (I know you aren't but ATCO seem to be). You also might mention they refused to fix it in the past *twice* when everyone shows up, so that makes it into the report as well.

DeleriousZ
08-26-2014, 11:17 AM
light it up. that'll get them to come fix it :)

ga16i
08-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Building a flare will get their attention.

nzwasp
08-26-2014, 11:53 AM
When i had atco out at my house checking the lines etc. I was talking to the guy and he said they get paid around 30k. If i was getting paid 30k i wouldnt have motivation to do anything.

Stealth22
08-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Call either 911 or the CFD non-emergency line.

But tell them the whole story. Last thing you want is to get in trouble because you knew about the leak. Just say you thought it was minor, and since ATCO wasn't rushing over to fix it, you didn't think it was an emergency. Then the smell got worse, and you decided to call.

avishal26
08-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
Call either 911 or the CFD non-emergency line.

But tell them the whole story. Last thing you want is to get in trouble because you knew about the leak. Just say you thought it was minor, and since ATCO wasn't rushing over to fix it, you didn't think it was an emergency. Then the smell got worse, and you decided to call.

+1

CanmoreOrLess
08-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Call the fire department, explain your process so far. I'd mention your wife likes to smoke outside near the leak, which is also near your BBQ with a spark auto-start. You're wondering if this is OK? As it has taken months to get a repair started, it must be safe, right? The fire department will be there right away if it is a leak, in under 15 minutes.

mr2mike
08-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Sometimes if they don't detect anything it is because there's a breeze in the air.

But anytime I've called, they're usually right on it. Another time, they couldn't find the leak and just left it.

Zhariak
08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Man....

I don't know why you didn't call 911 in the first place? :eek:

CapnCrunch
08-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Sometimes if they don't detect anything it is because there's a breeze in the air.

But anytime I've called, they're usually right on it. Another time, they couldn't find the leak and just left it.

The guy found a leak the first time they came out. The second time, I have no clue what happened, or if anyone even showed up.

blitz
08-26-2014, 04:04 PM
A small leak outdoors isn't really dangerous :poosie:

It's enclosed spaces where the gas % can get to a lower explosive limit that's its dangerous.

Kijho
08-26-2014, 05:20 PM
When are you calling 911?!!?? Post pics...

revelations
08-26-2014, 05:25 PM
You know its bad when you can hear it hissing. :nut:

avishal26
08-26-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm just going to leave this here...heard on CTV news earlier today that a gas leak was the cause of fire....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/vehicle-fire-in-cranston-causes-minor-damage-to-house-1.2747255

Vehicle fire in Cranston causes minor damage to house
Crews were called to the southeast Calgary community of Cranston Tuesday morning after two vehicles in a driveway on Cranberry Avenue caught fire.

"There was a big ball of flames," said eyewitness Branden Bolan.

"Airbags blew, tires blew up, a gas tank blew up. It set both vehicles on fire and all the siding on the house."

Firefighters arrived at the scene at 8:47 a.m. MT to find the vehicles — a van and car — fully engulfed in flames.

"The response was pretty quick," said Bolan. "The emergency crews were here within a couple of minutes."

He said the fire was out in under seven minutes, but not before both vehicle fuel tanks were compromised — meaning fuel was leaking down the street.

"Obviously we don't want that in the storm sewers for environmental reasons," said district chief Bryan Loschuk.

Officials evacuated the neighbourhood to clean up the scene and seal off the storm sewers.

Cranberry Avenue between Cranberry Road and Cranberry Circle S.E was temporarily closed during the incident.

The blaze caused minor damage to the side of the house, but there were no injuries.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

MGCM
08-26-2014, 08:46 PM
this thread blows me away:rofl:

avishal26
08-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
this thread blows me away:rofl:

haha no pun intended ofcourse?

16hypen3sp
08-26-2014, 10:40 PM
I remember my old landlord wanted a garage built behind our rental. They put the forms up and used rebar as stakes to hold the forms in place. One of the rebar pierced a hole straight into the gas line coming off the main into our house. Since the weather was absolute shit for the next month, the rebar just plugged the hole the entire time. Finally they poured the cement and pulled the rebar out.

I was inside watching TV when some guy comes running up the patio stairs screaming "No smoking! No ignition sources! Gas leak! Gas leak!"

Naturally I was like, what the fuck are you talking about? I looked out the window and these guys were running all over the place. Dirt and gravel was shooting a fair ways into the air... It was pure chaos.

Fuck, everyone showed up. Firefighters and ATCO were walking down the alley toward this plume within minutes. Police blocked off the entire neighbourhood.

Fun times.

After it was all safe and the line was repaired, I went and asked the concrete guys about it.

All this young guy had to say was "Our foreman didn't get the line locates done."

Tik-Tok
10-01-2014, 09:28 PM
So what happened Capn?

ExtraSlow
10-02-2014, 07:02 AM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090906145925/desencyclopedie/images/5/56/Explosion-l.gif