PDA

View Full Version : Need a new alternator, or a rebuild.

ZMan2k2
08-26-2014, 04:11 PM
So, listening to some tunes today, my amps went into protect mode, and my voltage dropped to 10.4V. So, I'm going to need an alternator soon. I have a 2006 Tacoma with the 4L engine, so I'm wondering where everyone goes for new or rebuilt alternators? My amps can pull 160A, and I need the truck to run too, so 200 at idle would be good. Any suggestions or shops?

BerserkerCatSplat
08-26-2014, 05:40 PM
I'll toss out my usual recommendation for Amperage Tech (http://www.amperagetech.com/index.html/). Terrible website, great alternator builders. They can probably upgrade your alt's output while they're rebuilding it.

sr20s14zenki
08-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Alberta alternator and starter depot, on barlow Se

They can probably amp it up for you. Cheap and great service.

Graham_A_M
08-26-2014, 06:51 PM
^ How much do these places typically charge? I need a much higher output alt for my regal, as Im installing a 2400 watt RMS system in it, and need at least 240amps....
Aftermarket alt's will cost me about $400 or thereabouts for something in that ballpark.

sr20s14zenki
08-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ How much do these places typically charge? I need a much higher output alt for my regal, as Im installing a 2400 watt RMS system in it, and need at least 240amps....
Aftermarket alt's will cost me about $400 or thereabouts for something in that ballpark.

To get a 2jz alternator from 80 amps to 200 amps cost me 140$, including rebuild. Thats with a new rotor. Doesnt hurt to ask them man.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-26-2014, 10:19 PM

Just call and ask, it'll likely depend on the model of alt and what amperage it started out as. If you want more of your available amperage at idle, consider installing a smaller alt pulley.

ZMan2k2
08-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I'll toss out my usual recommendation for Amperage Tech (http://www.amperagetech.com/index.html/). Terrible website, great alternator builders. They can probably upgrade your alt's output while they're rebuilding it.

Rick says "Can't get there from here." He's going to check for me what the biggest he can get, but I'm looking for 200A at idle, and he's not sure they can do that.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Alberta alternator and starter depot, on barlow Se

They can probably amp it up for you. Cheap and great service.
Called them, they will call me tomorrow with a quote, he says he has to check parts availability and such.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2

Rick says "Can't get there from here." He's going to check for me what the biggest he can get, but I'm looking for 200A at idle, and he's not sure they can do that.

I usually deal with Dave but I wouldn't disagree with either of them. To be fair, 200A at idle is a shit-ton. Your stock alt is either 100A or 130A peak and probably puts out ~50A at idle. Asking for 200A at idle is literally needing them to quadruple the alternator output at that RPM - and that may just not be feasible with that alternator design. The giant-ass alternators found on semi trucks don't even put out 200A at idle, more in the neighbourhood of 130A. You may find that the only way to do a 200A idle is to run twin alternators.

flipstah
08-27-2014, 11:46 AM

+1. I got my Lucas one rebuilt through them and the service is top-notch.

Graham_A_M
08-27-2014, 11:55 AM

I usually deal with Dave but I wouldn't disagree with either of them. To be fair, 200A at idle is a shit-ton. Your stock alt is either 100A or 130A peak and probably puts out ~50A at idle. Asking for 200A at idle is literally needing them to quadruple the alternator output at that RPM - and that may just not be feasible with that alternator design. The giant-ass alternators found on semi trucks don't even put out 200A at idle, more in the neighbourhood of 130A. You may find that the only way to do a 200A idle is to run twin alternators.

No Ive seen somewhat stock alts put out 200 at idle. Back in the day when I was into car audio a lot more then I am now, I had a Ford mechanic friend (who was also an SPL competitor) who specialized in this. He'd take a stock alt, gut it, then redo all the internals so it would do 200 at idle. I wish to god I still had his number as Id LOVE to get him to make me one... but...
His name is Rob V.O., if anybody has his info, please let me know. He lives in Parkland or at least lived, last time I was in touch with him.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-27-2014, 12:02 PM

No Ive seen somewhat stock alts put out 200 at idle. Back in the day when I was into car audio a lot more then I am now, I had a Ford mechanic friend (who was also an SPL competitor) who specialized in this. He'd take a stock alt, gut it, then redo all the internals so it would do 200 at idle. I wish to god I still had his number as Id LOVE to get him to make me one... but...
His name is Rob V.O., if anybody has his info, please let me know. He lives in Parkland or at least lived, last time I was in touch with him.

Nobody's saying it's not possible to have 200A at idle, they're saying it may not be possible to do it using a stock '06 Toyota casing as a starting point. Not all alternators are created equal. Ford large-case alts can certainly be modded to put out 180A+ at idle but that's a whole different beast than the OP's Taco alt. He may find that running twins is an easier path to 200A than paying many hundred for a modded Ford alt and then trying to shoehorn it in while integrating it with the stock charging system.

Graham_A_M
08-27-2014, 12:16 PM
^ Hmmm...... Id be interested to see how a dual alt set up would work.... sounds like a retarded fuck ton of work to get two into an already packed engine bay, plus all the issues with the idler pulliey's, different belt and mounts.....

BerserkerCatSplat
08-27-2014, 12:23 PM
I honestly have no idea how packed a 4.0L Taco engine bay is. Trucks tend to have more room for added things but I can't say for certain.

The easiest solution would probably be one of these:

http://www.m2kinc.com/detail-sbc-t4-0-270xp-35-39-38-2.html

...but they suspiciously don't list a price, haha. Some googling indicates it'd probably run him ~$1000.

ZMan2k2
08-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Amperage Tech got back to me, and they can fit the guts of an ambulance alt in the case for my truck for $600. I have also found a guy, with many happy customers on TacomaWorld.com that can do a 250A high, 200A idle alt for $400 shipped.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Who makes the 250A unit? $400 shipped is a damn good price for that kind of output.

ZMan2k2
08-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Who makes the 250A unit? $400 shipped is a damn good price for that kind of output.

His name is BamaToy1997 on TacomaWorld.com. He uses a company he calls BnR in Van Nueys, Cali to replace the rotor and the stator, and all internal parts and claims a 70-75% output of max. at idle. Hell of a deal. The alt. is $320 and shipping is $50 US. So that should work out to $400 CAN when all the conversion is done. He's sent me an invoice, I have to wait to get paid tomorrow to pay him, and have it on the way.

Graham_A_M
08-27-2014, 09:16 PM

http://www.highoutputalternator.com/online-catalog.aspx

Lots of companies do, the 275amp one for my car is about $400 too...
A 200 amp one is about $300

BerserkerCatSplat
08-28-2014, 08:53 AM

http://www.highoutputalternator.com/online-catalog.aspx

Lots of companies do, the 275amp one for my car is about $400 too...
A 200 amp one is about $300

$400 for a 200A at idle is pretty exceptional. Peak amperage is relatively easy and cheap, increasing idle output is more involved. Most of the high idle output alts from DCE or similar are $600+.

ZMan2k2
08-28-2014, 07:59 PM
As a continuation of this, I left all my info, and what I was looking for with a guy at Alberta Alternator, and he said they'd call me back today. No call. Anyways, I have my alternator on order. Has to be worked, then it'll be on the way express.

ZMan2k2
09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
A week ago, I contacted a guy on TacomaWorld.com who runs a business called Marion Bumper2Bumper. He offered upgraded alternators for my series of Tacoma, and one that is 250A at 1500rpm and 70-75% at idle. He answered all my questions quickly through PM's, and I ordered one on the 28th of August. Today, I got my alternator in the mail, so 1 week international shipping. I was impressed with how it was packed, in firm foam packing, to make sure it didn't get damaged in shipping. I was pleasantly surprised that the pulley was already installed, saving me time and money getting my old one pulled off the stock alt. and put on the new one. Picked up a Goodyear Gatorback belt today as well, and will be installing it tomorrow. Can't wait to get this thing in, and turn up my stereo again.
http://i.imgur.com/qSo3SW3.jpg?2