PDA

View Full Version : Where to get PAL/FAC course?

68Camaro
08-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Hey guys,

Im looking to get my PAL/FAC course done. As of right now I only need my unrestricted (for rifles) but if there is a good course that includes the restricted as well without being a huge price increase, im all for it.

Do long guns still need to be registered in Alberta? Im seeing mixed feedback on the interwebz.

Ive seen several suggestions but im looking to see if anyone has any personal experience and idea of cost to get this done.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks.

killramos
08-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Fac is defunct so train yourself to never use the term again. It drives a lot of people up the wall.

CSC has a great course offered regularly that gives you both in one day for 275. (The shooting center . Com). Gives you a good chance to handle different guns. Technically the restricted is a challenge will go away after the legislation is changes this fall so get it while you can for cheap!

However if price is a big deal Aheia does them regularly as well and it's by donation (recomended of at least 50 dollars to cover materials costs)

Long gun registry is gone and they do not have to be registered. You will learn all this stuff in the course. There is a provincial registry in Quebec but that doesn't affect us at all.

Good luck and let me know if you haveore questions. I will say that the shooting edge also offers courses but I don't much like them haha.

D'z Nutz
08-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Technically the restricted is a challenge will go away after the legislation is changes this fall so get it while you can for cheap!

What are the details of the legislation changes?

Originally posted by killramos
There is a provincial registry in Quebec but that doesn't affect us at all.

Sort of. It affects us in that we shouldn't buy or sell to people in Quebec hahaha

turbotrip
08-27-2014, 10:53 AM
i got mine through AHEIA, and would definitely recommend them

Dave P
08-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
i got mine through AHEIA, and would definitely recommend them

+1

killramos
08-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

What are the details of the legislation changes?

Sort of. It affects us in that we shouldn't buy or sell to people in Quebec hahaha

With regards to this they will be removing the ability of people to challenge their PAL without the course.

The way the CSC course does it is they give the non restricted course then you write the test. Then they have you challenge the restricted test which will under the new legislation would require a second course. Course is minimum 8 hours each even though it's basically the same material. Second day of class means paying an instructor a second day. Just more costs. Unfortunate reality.

So no more 1 day PAL + RPAL courses.

GQBalla
08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
AHEIA was where the gf and I got ours. Donation based. We donated 50 each.

CSC and TSE offers the course, but i personally try not to give TSE my money

killramos
08-27-2014, 11:02 AM
God my spelling is bad on these posts sorry guys. Doesn't help that I use beyond exclusively on my iphone...

FraserB
08-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Take the CSC one day course. It's $310 tax in and if you decide you do want a restricted, you already have the license and don't have to deal with upgrading. The application method is the same for you since it's a first time application and having the RPAL only adds a few days to the processing time.

You also get $150 back as credit for your membership if you sign up.

Like GQ, I try to keep my money out of TSE.

68Camaro
08-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Great information! Thank you

carson blocks
08-27-2014, 03:09 PM
I took mine through AHEIA, but would recommend them or CSC. I had to post to echo what everyone else has said, JR and The Shooters Edge will never get another recommendation nor another dime from me (and this year, that's a lot of dimes).

Nufy
08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
off topic but whats the story behind the hate for TSE ??

D'z Nutz
08-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

JR has always been a dick, but his pettiness and hate for CSC is what started the Swiss Arms/CZ858 debacle:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/the-gun-thread/showthread.php?threadid=319673&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=71

carson blocks
08-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

Keep in mind this is posted by CSC and that there are two sides to every story, but here's some light reading on the issue.
https://www.theshootingcentre.com/sans-overview