PDA

View Full Version : Fall lawn care?

eblend
08-28-2014, 08:45 PM
So my grass looks miserable for the last few years, so I did some digging online on how to try to improve it, and thinking of doing this tomorrow (already have it booked..but can cancel..)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-services/calgary/lawn-care-aeration-power-raking/593694549

I am thinking of the full service. Is it beneficial to do this now, or should I do this next year in the spring instead?

I was hoping to overfeed after they are all done with power raking as I heard that may help me with my miserable grass as well.

Thoughts? Don't know if I am wasting money this year for nothing, of if there is a benefit. Hoping for a good lawn next year.

CapnCrunch
08-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by eblend
So my grass looks miserable for the last few years, so I did some digging online on how to try to improve it, and thinking of doing this tomorrow (already have it booked..but can cancel..)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-services/calgary/lawn-care-aeration-power-raking/593694549

I am thinking of the full service. Is it beneficial to do this now, or should I do this next year in the spring instead?

I was hoping to overfeed after they are all done with power raking as I heard that may help me with my miserable grass as well.

Thoughts? Don't know if I am wasting money this year for nothing, of if there is a benefit. Hoping for a good lawn next year.

I think all of those items are better off being done in the spring, although fertilizing is often done in the fall.

revelations
08-29-2014, 09:45 AM
Aeriating can be done in the fall as well.

From what I've read its only during the hottest/driest times of the year that most non-grass cutting lawn work is avoided (to avoid stressing out the lawn more) - obviously that means we get about a 2 month window to do anything :nut:

Also, raise your cutting deck height - taller grass is more resistant to stress because it holds mosture in better.

94CoRd
08-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Just get the Core-Aerate, and sprinkle down a 'Fall Fertilizer' before the snow hits.

All that other stuff is just a waste.

Next spring, feel free to go with the full service.

eblend
08-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by 94CoRd
Just get the Core-Aerate, and sprinkle down a 'Fall Fertilizer' before the snow hits.

All that other stuff is just a waste.

Next spring, feel free to go with the full service.

The other stuff is just the power raking, which apperantly removes a lot of the dead grass and makes your thatch layer much thinner, allowing the roots to grow into the ground vs into thatch itself. I will do the whole service tonight and see how it looks like next year, will do just the core aeration next year me thinks.

94CoRd
08-29-2014, 01:29 PM

The other stuff is just the power raking, which apperantly removes a lot of the dead grass and makes your thatch layer much thinner, allowing the roots to grow into the ground vs into thatch itself. I will do the whole service tonight and see how it looks like next year, will do just the core aeration next year me thinks.

I guess it depends the current shape of your lawn, but going into fall you *shouldn't* have very much dead grass - which is why a power rake would be a waste. In spring though, after some grass has died over winter; is a great time to power rake.

eblend
08-29-2014, 09:53 PM
So the dude canceled on me 30 min before he agreed to show up.........what a dick move. Wanted to reschedule for tomorrow, told him to go pound sand and I will find someone else. People these days..

big A
08-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I thought his price was pretty good. I was gonna use him next year instead of who I have been.
I'm certainly not gonna any more.
If I recall the name of the company I use is something like Property Star.

ottamania
08-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Aeration is definitely good to do in fall along with fertilizer something like 20-0-20.

I do get requests from my customers for power raking in fall but talk them out of it since it really is not necessary for fall. We do power rake only in spring.

eblend
08-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by ottamania
Aeration is definitely good to do in fall along with fertilizer something like 20-0-20.

I do get requests from my customers for power raking in fall but talk them out of it since it really is not necessary for fall. We do power rake only in spring.

Do you run your own company? Want to know if I can perhaps employ you for my lawn?

ottamania
08-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Do you run your own company? Want to know if I can perhaps employ you for my lawn?

I do run my own company. I can help you out with your lawn for sure.

bigbadboss101
08-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Thistles are abundant at this time of the year. some grow to over a foot if you don't catch em early. The best way to prevent them is to keep your lawn stronger and health so they don't have room to grow?

freshprince1
09-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Aeration in the Fall is good, as well as fertilizer.

Do not power rake right now, it's a waste of money; plus you'd be pulling away lots of live grass, essentially doing more harm than good. The ONLY time of the year you want to consider a power rake is in the Spring before any green grass comes through. Other than that it is a waste of time, and an easy upsell by the lawn maintenance companies. An Aeration in the Fall helps break down the thatch layer enough.

I cut my grass to 2.5"-3" every 5 days or so; fertilize 3-5 times a year; and get an aeration in the Fall. Do this and you don't even have to pick up the clippings. Ever. You'll have a soft, lush, green lawn that keeps out 95% of weeds out on its own.

Source: former Green Drop Manager and lawn nazi.