PDA

View Full Version : Old resident's mail

Cooked Rice
08-29-2014, 11:45 PM
What's the most effective way to stop receiving an old resident's mail? It's all flyers, catalogs, useless coupons, I swear they signed up for the mailing list at every store they shopped at. If I RTS the bigger magazines and flyers would it just piss off the mailman or do they have to return it to the sender?

speedog
08-30-2014, 01:43 AM
Return to sender - deceased. This always seems to stop stuff.

dj_rice
08-30-2014, 07:56 AM
I'm in the same situation. I still get old owners mail after a year of living here still. I usually just put RTS, and collect a pile. And end of the month, I take it all and drop it off to the nearest Post Office box. Before, I'd put it in the community mailbox, and it'd end up back in my mailbox again lol.

I'm gonna try that RTS - deceased

Star1995
08-30-2014, 08:25 AM
I always loved the prepaid envelopes that some companies would send, I'd stuff as much as I could into them and send them off. I can't remember the last time I got one though... Otherwise black out the "to" address and drop them in the mail box I assumed they would be returned to sender.

Dumbass17
09-01-2014, 02:00 PM
I've been getting mail at my place for a year now from the old residents and it drives me bonkers. Now I just burn it in a barrel :poosie: jk

anothers10
09-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I am still getting mail for people that lived in my place 5 years ago. I put return to sender on all of it, but they keep coming.

Hamann
09-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by anothers10
I am still getting mail for people that lived in my place 5 years ago. I put return to sender on all of it, but they keep coming.

You've got me beat, we've been getting the previous peoples mail for 3 years, even some stuff from Revenue Canada. We just put Return to Sender: Moved, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference

flipstah
09-02-2014, 09:50 AM
I just put RTS and send it on its' way.

mr2mike
09-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Return to sender doesn't work. Some places care but it seems most don't.
Half my mail is from the 10 different renters in my place before I bought it 5 years ago. Used to do RTS for a good year then got tired of it.

Now, I just throw it all out. Some are important documents too for insurance renewal, Gov't of Canada tax statements (I'm assuming). But if you can't change your car insurance address in 5 years, you deserve to not see your pink slips. I get a sadistic laugh in my head as they go into the blue bin.

Hallowed_point
09-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Anything that I saw from the CRA I'd put "moved back to pakistan/somalia/wherever the residents last name appeared to be from to avoid paying taxes!"

Mitsu3000gt
09-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I still get 5 yr previous resident's mail from time to time. I wrote RTS on it for the first little while, after that, straight into recycling. Not my problem if you're too lazy to change your address. Some of that stuff they likely purposely didn't change, since it's easier to just not change the address than contact X company and remove yourself from the mailing list.

ZMan2k2
09-02-2014, 04:21 PM
As a mailman, I can shed some light on this. Most companies don't get back the mail you put RTS on to begin with. If you look at the postage section on the envelope, and it says "Addressed Admail", or is cheaper than the going rate for a stamp, $0.85, it goes in the shredder at work. Magazines, if they are sorted properly by the carrier, do go back to the company, but most are too lazy to change their mailing list. Banks are notorious for never changing their list, until the customer comes to the counter, and verifies a change of address, which, with ATM's, can be years before it's done. Hope that helps some.

SKR
09-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Don't you ever want to open it up and see what's going on in their lives?