PDA

View Full Version : LF: Does anyone have a "One man" brake bleeding system I could borrow?

ZMan2k2
08-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Want to bleed the brakes, but yelling at my 10-year-old that I want her to push and release the pedal doesn't appeal to me. Does anyone have a vacuum-assist, or one man brake bleeding system I could borrow? Beer in it for you. PM me, thanks.

sr20s14zenki
08-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Release bleeder. Attach hose to bleeder. Submerge other end in container of Brake fluid . pump. Be sure to watch reservoir and keep full

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I used this from princess auto last time I did brakes.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Steering-And-Suspension/One-Man-Brake-Bleeder-Kit/2990048.p
Worked as intended.. just wish the bottle was bigger as it filled up fairly quickly

revelations
09-01-2014, 12:41 AM
2 man systems, 1 man systems .... never again.

Gravity bleed FTW. (why didnt I think of this before :dunno: )

firebane
09-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by revelations
2 man systems, 1 man systems .... never again.

Gravity bleed FTW. (why didnt I think of this before :dunno: )

Gravity bleed doesn't work well with ABS systems.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
What part of town are you in? I need mine for a living but I could lend it next weekend, I have the Toyota fittings and toyota brake fluid.

The reseviour pressure bleeders are by far the best, they clear the abs pump very well and I have yet to ever re bleed any system.

Vacuum assist is ok but there's tricks to ensure no air is in it after.

blairtruck
09-01-2014, 10:32 AM
i just ordered a motive power bleeder from summit last month. was here in 3 days by fedex no cash at the door either.

ZMan2k2
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM
I live off Edmonton Trail in the NE. I'm interested in the bleeder, but I'd be worried about returning it in time. Thanks for the offer though, I might just get that power bleeder, though.

blairtruck
09-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
I live off Edmonton Trail in the NE. I'm interested in the bleeder, but I'd be worried about returning it in time. Thanks for the offer though, I might just get that power bleeder, though.

i had never touched my brakes before getting the bleeder. i added some stainless brake lines. and bleeding was so easy with the motive bleeder.

sr20s14zenki
09-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2

This one works really well too. I have this one.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Engine-And-Transmission/Vacuum-Pump-and-Brake-Bleeder-Kit/8050832.p

ZMan2k2
09-02-2014, 09:41 AM
I actually found one in the garage that the old man owned. So I'm set for bleeders. I was surprised that he owned one, but it's a pleasant one. Anyways, what's the thought on DOT3 vs. DOT4 synthetic? I don't tow much, but if I'll get better performance from the DOT4, I don't mind paying the extra $15 premium.

revelations
09-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Gravity bleed doesn't work well with ABS systems.

If there is air in the ABS system, then yes - its not going to work any better.

However my understanding is that for routine MAINTENANCE purposes ABS and gravity work fine - youre just not draining the minute passageways in the ABS system - which for the average home mechanic is good enough as the ABS system will exchange the new fluid with the old.

ZMan2k2
09-02-2014, 10:27 AM
There's no air in the system now, it works pretty good for fluid that's got over 100k on it. But I'm sure it needs to be flushed. I have a gravity feed system that I'm fairly confident I can work with, and get the system bled without getting any air in the system, and have a firmer pedal. Any thoughts on my last question, DOT3 or synthetic DOT4?

revelations
09-02-2014, 10:43 AM
From my experience, you can use Dot 4 in a 3 system - however you might notice a different feel in the pedal as 4 can be more viscous than 3. Apparently once the fluid heats up it should feel the same as 3.

ZMan2k2
09-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Hmmmm, thanks. I don't drive like I stole it, and I don't tow much, or haul heavy things in the bed too much, so I can probably get away with DOT3. Thanks for the advice and offers, I know what I'm doing in the next couple days.

revelations
09-02-2014, 11:51 AM
There are too many variables to say if 4 will feel definitely different than 3. The MAIN difference is boiling point - a 4 system can handle higher brake line temps than 3 can without losing effectiveness.

Of course this is an OEM issue as they design a system to operate with thermal principles in mind. If a braking system is enclosed close to a hot area (eg near exhaust) then the OEM might use DOT 4 to help with hot line temps.

ZMan2k2
09-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Well, I guess RTFM applies here. I just read the owners manual, and it specifies SAE 1703 DOT3 fluid. So, there's my answer. Thanks.